+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Microsoft Tinkering with Smartphone Design

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The computer software giant presently celebrating its successful Windows 8 unveiling and launch may have other projects in the works beneath the radar. According to the Wall Street Journal, Microsoft
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Report: Microsoft Tinkering with Smartphone Design

The computer software giant presently celebrating its successful Windows 8 unveiling and launch may have other projects in the works beneath the radar.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Microsoft is now working with component suppliers in Asia to "test its own smartphone design." Sources say Microsoft is internally determined to steadily continue adopting the business model that has worked so well for Apple.

One person said that the screen of Microsoft's smartphone currently being tested measures between four and five inches. Apple's newest smartphone, the iPhone 5, has a four-inch screen, while Samsung's Galaxy S III phone has a 4.8-inch screen.
    Although testing of the smartphone design allegedly continues as of this writing, no one is willing to say for sure that this particular product will enter mass production as a means to challenge Apple's iPhone.

Just this past Monday, Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer refused to speculate on his company's plans.

"We're quite happy this holiday [season] going to market hard with Nokia," said Ballmer. "Whether we had a plan to do something different or we didn't have a plan I wouldn't comment in any dimension."

Source: WSJ

Thanks

Yay. This app is so much better now. Ok... I just had to say that. Now I'll actually read the article!

Thanks

+1 so happy modmyi has iPhone 5 support now!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You mean Modmyi finally updated their app? I deleted it long ago and just used the web browser to visit the site since the app used to have issues with Youtube videos.

As for MS making a smartphone, I think they should just stick with making Windows 8 better and let the smartphone manufacturers make the phones to run their OS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    You mean Modmyi finally updated their app? I deleted it long ago and just used the web browser to visit the site since the app used to have issues with Youtube videos.
    I don't have to press enter multiple times now to actually see what it is I am writing...

Thanks
    Loving the new app support for iPhone 5 thanks guys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sion_c View Post
    Loving the new app support for iPhone 5 thanks guys
    Is the "view in app" and "view in chrome" new?

Thanks

Default New app?
    Well I got the updated modmyi app for my iPhone 5 and I don't see it's any better. My home row has only News, Forums, and Upgrade icons, and I've already upgraded to the ad-free version. It's still somewhat buggy...I just don't see any improvement.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 11-02-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    Try and log in with your modmyi username and password then you will see the difference

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sion_c For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (11-02-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yayayayayayayyay love new app!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sion_c View Post
    Try and log in with your modmyi username and password then you will see the difference
    Oh good that works. But videos referenced in articles still don't work, neither in safari or in-app.

Thanks
    Wow! Not that I would ever go back to PC now that my Eco-system is Apple, but Apple may need to step its game up and do something new and innovative like the iPad or iPhone... Hopefully we will see a real HD TV made by Apple with a built in iOS and Touchscreen. Partnering with Panasonic was a great idea!!! Love my plasma!

*T*
    Thanks

Screw Microsoft, but the guy that did their logo and their retail guys are good. They do good jobs

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Screw Microsoft, but the guy that did their logo and their retail guys are good. They do good jobs
    Yes, because it takes some serious graphic design to make a logo out of a single word and 4 colored boxes arranged in a square. That took so much more work than any of the products Microsoft has made.

What's Jailbreak? c0deName_ZERO's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post

As for MS making a smartphone, I think they should just stick with making Windows 8 better and let the smartphone manufacturers make the phones to run their OS.
    Seen that is MicroSoft Developing the Phone and like we all have seen they have had the same Plan for years as far as only developing the OS ...I wonder what would come outta of it ...them actually working on both Device and Software...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c0deName_ZERO View Post
    Seen that is MicroSoft Developing the Phone and like we all have seen they have had the same Plan for years as far as only developing the OS ...I wonder what would come outta of it ...them actually working on both Device and Software...
    With how long it takes ms to make a Os then I don't see them getting a phone to market for a couple of years by then their Os will be so redundant the phone will fail!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c0deName_ZERO View Post
    Their surface is a huge hit, and for good reason. I feel like Microsoft took what Apple has been doing with iOS/OSX and took it to the next level. It's not only an ecosystem now, it is virtually the same OS running on a phone as on a tablet, as on a laptop, as on a desktop, as on the XBOX 360! Whether that OS becomes widely adopted remains to be seen, but with their aggressive pricing ($40 for the Winows 8 upgrade even if you own a PIRATED copy of Windows XP or later along with a free upgrade to media center) is sure to get lots of people at least trying the OS. I believe one can even download the OS and try it for x amount of days before being required to pay said upgrade fee.

I am not kidding when I say that it is too bad for Apple that they couldn't get a patent on marketing strategy, because Microsoft is probably the first company to have started to take a lot of what Apple has done in this filed, put their own spin on it, and call it their own.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    $40 for the Winows 8 upgrade
    i paid $15 for my upgrade