Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Awesome New iOS Concept Makes Widgets Out of App Icons

Default Awesome New iOS Concept Makes Widgets Out of App Icons

Most of us can agree that iOS could be made so much better than it already is; that’s saying a lot considering that iOS is already so nice. One concept maker by the name of Max Rudberg has made public another one of his genius iOS concepts that he thinks would make iOS a better operating system to use.

The concept involves interactive home screen icons that could be expanded into widgets of many sizes. You would put the iPhone into ‘jiggle’ mode as if you were you delete or move icons and a green button would appear along with the black X button. The green button can be tapped once for a small widget and tapped again to expand the size of the widget. When a widget is displayed, the application icon sits at the bottom left of the widget.

The widgets would be allowing the home screen to take full advantage of the iPhone 5’s taller home screen canvas and the already-great iPad home screen canvas. Applications like Settings would allow you to toggle common system services when the widget is enabled, while Clocks would allow you to manage your alarms while the widget is enabled. The video also demonstrates that you could use an E-mail widget to have a quick-view of your inbox. Widgets are also shown for the Reminders app, Phone app, and Messages app.

The concept comes off as very clean and well implemented. You can see how as the application icons are expanded into widgets that the application icons surrounding the app being expanded just fluidly move around in order to make room for the widget.

It doesn’t seem likely that Apple would include a feature like this in iOS, but it certainly would provide faster access to our iPhones’ information. Jailbreak tweaks can be used to place widgets on our home screen, but they’re not quite as advanced as this.

What do you think about the concept and would you enjoy using it?

Sources: Max Rudberg via TheNextWeb

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

It's Mi (12-14-2012), nateD (11-02-2012), The_Durben (11-02-2012), zplit (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Yes I would!!!

Default Wow
    I gotta say, i've been quite bored of the tweaks lately, however that would be AMAZING!

Reminds me of windows phone 8 but with more functionality. That would be awseome if it ever became anything more than a concept

I'll stick with Windows Phone 8.

Quote Originally Posted by DampDesigns View Post
    I'll stick with Windows Phone 8.
    If I could get windows 8 with the Apple ecosystem, heck yes. Unfortunately that is not the case.

In any case, I would pay generously if this tweak was to become reality.

if apple doesn't do it, can a jailbreaker do?

Am I the only one who thinks its not quite like windows phone 8?

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    if apple doesn't do it, can a jailbreaker do?
    I don't think so because it doesn't have a uniform effect on every app. The widgets in the video are unique to each one. Even if Apple implemented it, each app developer would have to make their own widgets. However, jailbreak developers might be able to provide these widgets individually if one provides a framework first.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 11-01-2012 at 10:04 PM.

windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I don't think so because it doesn't have a uniform effect on every app. The widgets in the video are unique to each one. Even if Apple implemented it, each app developer would have to make their own widgets. However, jailbreak developers might be able to provide these widgets individually if one provides a framework first.
    Yeah, at best they could add this functionality for popular apps but not many since they would have to do all the coding

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It is really sweet! Has lots of potential!!

I only ever come to this site to read news nowadays, but had to post for this.

This concept is AMAZING. Apple will never implement anything useful, so hopefully I can look forward to seeing something like this on Cydia, eventually.

This is not possible on a jailbroken device. Widgets can't access apps from the springboard.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    This is not possible on a jailbroken device. Widgets can't access apps from the springboard.
    Maybe. Perhaps something like Quasar (the tweak that lets you run iPad apps in little windows) could be combined with things like tweaks for the twitter app's interface to create custom views on the SpringBoard (like the widgets in this video) that can access the apps. Once the app is in fullscreen, it goes back to normal.

I think I'll try to start work on this when I get some better development tools, and after I get my current app where I want it to be.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 11-01-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Looks great in the video but if its mixed in with a bunch of other apps in wiggle mode you could easily uninstall something by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by nave3d View Post
    I only ever come to this site to read news nowadays, but had to post for this.

This concept is AMAZING. Apple will never implement anything useful, so hopefully I can look forward to seeing something like this on Cydia, eventually.
    Personally I find quite a few things that apple have implemented on my iPhone quite useful, the browser, the phone app, iMessage, clock, notes to list a few. This concept, whilst cosmetically lovely is innovative (for ios) but to say apple doesn't implement anything useful is inaccurate...

This is a great concept! I hope, with the departure of Forstall, that iOS will see some UI changes in the future similar to this and also other more ambitious / efficient ideas. I'm excited for the future of iOS, Android and Windows Phone 8!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast