Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Awesome New iOS Concept Makes Widgets Out of App Icons

Thanks
    Thanked 10,209 Times in 6,214 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Ok, ya, that's pretty awesome. Needs to happen.
    ^yup. love it.

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Used ram does not equate to battery life. Lol. Ram is only storage that's like saying the more you have stored in your camera roll the worse the battery life.

Active processes is what use battery life, things that actually cause the processor to work. Ram is merely there to help the processor have to think less. The less it has to think the better off it is.

I would argue that the less ram you have the better battery life. Because your phone is actually working less.
    This is what I mean. these widgets would cause more ram to be used so battery life would decrease faster. you just said it in a more clear way.

To answer the question on the first post, of course I would enjoy using it.
    Only to an extent though. To be able to customize the widgets is key to it taking off.
    If you can't "theme" it and make it your own widget it will just look out of place on most of our phones as a large majority of us run a theme in full or to an extent.

As a concept it's nice. Needs to be set out and explained kind of what eldwin did with iWidget tweak so that user mods can be completed. (if even possible by any of us as these look more like apps and not widgets. A whole different ball game when it comes to writing scripts for other functions)

Interesting work none the less

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The_Durben For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (11-03-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    This is what I mean. these widgets would cause more ram to be used so battery life would decrease faster. you just said it in a more clear way.
    Don't think you fully understand. Used ram for not do anything to your batter. Active processes do. The reason widgets use battery is because they are always running. From this concept the information the widget uses is merely what the information the program has. So once it gets this info it's cached into memory to save battery.

Quote Originally Posted by BIMPtacular View Post
    Technically I never said they would claim it, rather that their loyal followers would claim it for them. I would have to argue that this concept is far from unique and that it is literally an Android Widget using the exact iconography of the re-sizing process for WP8 live tiles. Believe what you like, as it matters not to me.

RAM is constantly being accessed and values being replaced by active processes, even those running in the background. RAM is not "only storage", it is volatile, and only maintains it's memory while being supplied with power. Are you suggesting that the when the processor has to request data across the BUS that it is free with concerns to battery life? Certainly not. The more you thrash the RAM with you active processes the more it will cost in battery life because it costs CPU cycles to store and retrieve data from the RAM, and only "used RAM" can be thrashed, so in effect the amount of RAM being used can directly effect the battery life.

That being said, it also depends on the programmer's ability to effectively use the RAM and proper caching techniques.
    My point by my post is that use of ram does not mean use of battery. When I check my memory usage on my iPad with 1 gig of ram. I have 70 free and 780 wired and the rest is active.

The reason ram always will run low on iOS is because apps your not in will cache it's last state when you close out. There for not actively using any processing power. The amount of battery power it takes to power ram is far less than your phone having to fresh boot applications every time rather than starting from a cached point.

Always clearing your memory is counter productive to why memory exists.

Anyway this is my understanding and I'm in no way a computer scientist. Lol. But just get tired of people focusing on ram draining battery. Ram does not drain battery. Poorly written apps drain battery
    Last edited by subywrex; 11-02-2012 at 11:54 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (11-03-2012), The_Durben (11-03-2012)

One day the YouTube links will work on the iPhone right?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This has been said, but this is basically Windows Phone 8 with some added functionality. And there is nothing wrong with that. Microsoft did a phenomenal job this time around. Props to them. As a recent WP8 convert, I hope we get something like this on iOS. Not holding my breath about it being officially implemented by Apple though, unless it is somehow achieved in a wildly different way.

Ya, that's is awesome. Needs to be happen.

If Apple doesn't want to become like RIM in the future, please HIRE some of these jailbreak tweakers like this one. You have no idea what innovation they can bring to the table and as of right now, most of them have more potential then Apple's entire software development team.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharp2G View Post
    If Apple doesn't want to become like RIM in the future, please HIRE some of these jailbreak tweakers like this one. You have no idea what innovation they can bring to the table and as of right now, most of them have more potential then Apple's entire software development team.
    +1000

Remember, this isn't a jailbreak tweak. It's a graphical concept invented for either Apple or the jailbreak community to spring off of.

No one actually knows yet what Jonathan Ive might do to change iOS. There is a chance iOS could become much different in the future. If we're lucky, we might even see something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariousmc View Post
    One day the YouTube links will work on the iPhone right?
    they already do. download the youtube app and they work just fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123