+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Awesome New iOS Concept Makes Widgets Out of App Icons

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This looks wonderful but we are overlooking one fact. RAM. Which equates to battery life. This is an amazing concept but if you put a side by side comparison of
    Green Apple
    Thanks

This looks wonderful but we are overlooking one fact. RAM. Which equates to battery life. This is an amazing concept but if you put a side by side comparison of this vs all this in notification center (which was possible on ios5), it would be much faster to swipe down from ANY app and do everything in this video. It may look cool but this is already possible with jailbreak on ios5 AND ios6. But I see that this would be cool with a non-jailbroken iPhone, but why wouldn't you jailbreak if it's ALLOWED.

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    This is not possible on a jailbroken device. Widgets can't access apps from the springboard.
    Weong. Its soooooooooooooooooo possible.

Source: 5 Years of a jailbroken iPhone with merely 4 cydia sources.
    Last edited by xzero; 11-02-2012 at 03:17 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Would definitely pay some money to see this tweak developed. Only stipulation: animation/update and widget refresh times would have to be as good as those shown in the video. In other words, this would have to be deeply integrated and native feeling.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Now this HAS to be DONE before ANDROID pick it

Thanks

This is the kind of stuff I'm hoping to see with the new iOS dude (Ives?). iOS, as nice as it is, is pretty stale. There have only been minor changes since I got my first iPhone, which ran iOS 2. Of course, iOS runs so well you could use the old cliche, "Why fix what isn't broken?" but I'd still like to see some more innovative stuff coming from future iOS.

With the jailbreak becoming seemingly more and more difficult, the iPhone 5 may be my last iPhone unless Apple really starts wowing us with iOS updates.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DampDesigns View Post
    I'll stick with Windows Phone 8.
    Then why the **** are you in this forum besides being an obvious troll. I can see you being here just to go into topics and talk about how you prefer other device developers and how bad Apple devices are. This topic is about a new iOS concept NOT what mobile OS or device you prefer. You really need a hobby if you have nothing better to do than go on I device forums and tell people that you prefer a windows device.
    To be real your comment isn't that big of a deal but it just gets stupid after seeing people like you on this forum waste our time with stupid comments that have nothing to do with Apple product. Go to the Windows/Microsoft forums and be a fanboy/girl there. Stop wasting our time.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This is just taking the re-sizable live tiles from Windows Phone 8 and turning them into Android widgets. While I admit that iOS needs something new for users to play with, this would be "stealing" from the competition again. The funny part is that most people will think that Apple "Invented" it.

Also, to the guy that said this HAS to be DONE before Android. Android already has re-sizable widgets, sorry. Late to the party yet again.
    Last edited by BIMPtacular; 11-02-2012 at 07:37 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

I second this concept and support any measures taken to bring this to Apple's attention. Mr. Ives better recognize!!

Quote Originally Posted by BIMPtacular View Post
    This is just taking the re-sizable live tiles from Windows Phone 8 and turning them into Android widgets. While I admit that iOS needs something new for users to play with, this would be "stealing" from the competition again. The funny part is that most people will think that Apple "Invented" it.

Also, to the guy that said this HAS to be DONE before Android. Android already has re-sizable widgets, sorry. Late to the party yet again.
    Technically, if this exact concept was adopted by Apple, how could they claim to it if this guy came up with it first. I'm not sitting here talking about Apple's monstrous reputation with patents. I'm here to say that this concept is very unique and would still make iOS a singularity. I have yet to see this exact concept on any other mobile platforms (including Windows 8 Mobile). Plus the actions for accessing the feature, resizing widgets, and keeping the app icon in lower left are iOS friendly features that are more "Apple" than the competition.

I'd like to see this come to fruition in iOS' future
    Last edited by Hillefied; 11-02-2012 at 08:00 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    waiting to use this tweak. When its releasing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks its not quite like windows phone 8?
    It would b similar but much more advance. It will b a tweak though cause apple will get sued. Thank you jailbreak community.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    This looks wonderful but we are overlooking one fact. RAM. Which equates to battery life. This is an amazing concept but if you put a side by side comparison of this vs all this in notification center (which was possible on ios5), it would be much faster to swipe down from ANY app and do everything in this video. It may look cool but this is already possible with jailbreak on ios5 AND ios6. But I see that this would be cool with a non-jailbroken iPhone, but why wouldn't you jailbreak if it's ALLOWED.

Used ram does not equate to battery life. Lol. Ram is only storage that's like saying the more you have stored in your camera roll the worse the battery life.

Active processes is what use battery life, things that actually cause the processor to work. Ram is merely there to help the processor have to think less. The less it has to think the better off it is.

I would argue that the less ram you have the better battery life. Because your phone is actually working less.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

nateD (11-02-2012), The_Durben (11-02-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jokadaking View Post
    It would b similar but much more advance. It will b a tweak though cause apple will get sued. Thank you jailbreak community.
    I think that Apple could very implement this in their own. It doesn't have to be a jailbreak tweak, although it could be nice for those already jailbroken. Millions of us aren't jailbroken with the iOS 6 on 4S and 5.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    I second this concept and support any measures taken to bring this to Apple's attention. Mr. Ives better recognize!!

Technically, if this exact concept was adopted by Apple, how could they claim to it if this guy came up with it first. I'm not sitting here talking about Apple's monstrous reputation with patents. I'm here to say that this concept is very unique and would still make iOS a singularity. I have yet to see this exact concept on any other mobile platforms (including Windows 8 Mobile). Plus the actions for accessing the feature, resizing widgets, and keeping the app icon in lower left are iOS friendly features that are more "Apple" than the competition.

I'd like to see this come to fruition in iOS' future
    Technically I never said they would claim it, rather that their loyal followers would claim it for them. I would have to argue that this concept is far from unique and that it is literally an Android Widget using the exact iconography of the re-sizing process for WP8 live tiles. Believe what you like, as it matters not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Used ram does not equate to battery life. Lol. Ram is only storage that's like saying the more you have stored in your camera roll the worse the battery life.

Active processes is what use battery life, things that actually cause the processor to work. Ram is merely there to help the processor have to think less. The less it has to think the better off it is.

I would argue that the less ram you have the better battery life. Because your phone is actually working less.
    RAM is constantly being accessed and values being replaced by active processes, even those running in the background. RAM is not "only storage", it is volatile, and only maintains it's memory while being supplied with power. Are you suggesting that the when the processor has to request data across the BUS that it is free with concerns to battery life? Certainly not. The more you thrash the RAM with you active processes the more it will cost in battery life because it costs CPU cycles to store and retrieve data from the RAM, and only "used RAM" can be thrashed, so in effect the amount of RAM being used can directly effect the battery life.

That being said, it also depends on the programmer's ability to effectively use the RAM and proper caching techniques.
    Last edited by BIMPtacular; 11-02-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Interesting concept, but using "wiggle" mode is not a good idea. First, it's annoying as hell to see all the icons wiggle. Second, having to hold and wait is annoying (I want to tap and go). Third, you could easily uninstall something.

Also, I don't like that it shows the icons reordering when you open the widget. What if you have a screen full of icons? Will it push them to the next page? Not user friendly if so.

I prefer the idea of having an option in settings to turn widgets off and on for apps that offer it, and then you can configure them on your screen however you want.

Just my $.02 ...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Long time Apple supporter and ModMyi user.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    Then why the **** are you in this forum besides being an obvious troll. I can see you being here just to go into topics and talk about how you prefer other device developers and how bad Apple devices are. This topic is about a new iOS concept NOT what mobile OS or device you prefer. You really need a hobby if you have nothing better to do than go on I device forums and tell people that you prefer a windows device.
    To be real your comment isn't that big of a deal but it just gets stupid after seeing people like you on this forum waste our time with stupid comments that have nothing to do with Apple product. Go to the Windows/Microsoft forums and be a fanboy/girl there. Stop wasting our time.
    I've been on this forum for a while now and have never trolled. I've even started a forum on a tweak I was working on for the jailbreak community. (unfortunately never finished it) I had every iPhone up until the iPhone 4s and jailbroke every one. I switched to Windows Phone this year just out of shear boredom of the iPhone. I was simply stating that this works exactly like windows phone 8 (with the exception of them being actual widgets), only I'd rather have the Windows Phone 8 version.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The problem is, people can come up with all sorts of ideas like this, but once they post them, Apple can't even think of developing them unless they hire the programmer or buy the rights to it, both of which apple rarely ever does. So while all these UI tweaks are pretty, don't expect to see Apple adopt them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is something that needs to be baked into the OS or at least allow a 3rd party to apply this mod, without the phone being jailbroken. Android has many apps. like this. Widgets are a common thing and it's absolutely fantastic!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

Most of us can agree that iOS could be made so much better than it already is; that’s saying a lot considering that iOS is already so nice. One concept maker by the name of Max Rudberg has made public another one of his genius iOS concepts that he thinks would make iOS a better operating system to use.

The concept involves interactive home screen icons that could be expanded into widgets of many sizes. You would put the iPhone into ‘jiggle’ mode as if you were you delete or move icons and a green button would appear along with the black X button. The green button can be tapped once for a small widget and tapped again to expand the size of the widget. When a widget is displayed, the application icon sits at the bottom left of the widget.

The widgets would be allowing the home screen to take full advantage of the iPhone 5’s taller home screen canvas and the already-great iPad home screen canvas. Applications like Settings would allow you to toggle common system services when the widget is enabled, while Clocks would allow you to manage your alarms while the widget is enabled. The video also demonstrates that you could use an E-mail widget to have a quick-view of your inbox. Widgets are also shown for the Reminders app, Phone app, and Messages app.

The concept comes off as very clean and well implemented. You can see how as the application icons are expanded into widgets that the application icons surrounding the app being expanded just fluidly move around in order to make room for the widget.

It doesn’t seem likely that Apple would include a feature like this in iOS, but it certainly would provide faster access to our iPhones’ information. Jailbreak tweaks can be used to place widgets on our home screen, but they’re not quite as advanced as this.

What do you think about the concept and would you enjoy using it?

Sources: Max Rudberg via TheNextWeb
    A jailbreak developer could make it possible just for the system apps. I mean after all, it would be Impossible for all of the apps in the app store. But other devs could build widgets for 3rd party apps if they wanted to. It could be a separate package.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 924 Posts

This is definitely possible! Anyone ever use Homescreen Settings???? Very similar as far as usefulness! It would just need to be able to be resizable and constant. Otherwise, it's the same concept!

BTW, Homescreen Settings was/is a 'must have' for me and I used it daily!

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,428 Times in 6,368 Posts

Not sure what weong is, but you are definitely wrong.

If I am wrong, then what is the tweak that will allow you to access apps from the springboard.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    This is definitely possible! Anyone ever use Homescreen Settings???? Very similar as far as usefulness! It would just need to be able to be resizable and constant. Otherwise, it's the same concept!

BTW, Homescreen Settings was/is a 'must have' for me and I used it daily!
    Homescreen settings only allows you to access stuff from the settings app. It doesn't allow you to access regular apps from the springboard. Show me how you access safari using this tweak.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 11-02-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

The_Durben (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 40,561 Times in 7,513 Posts

Sorry but KoH is right.
    Widgets (HTML JS) cannot be written to access apps or open links on the SpringBoard
    Believe me I've tried already. It would have to be a tweak of some sort written to do this
    The only "app" you can get access to is media player. And then with functioning video or sound files but regardless of how they are written Apples media player takes over.
    Creating a weather widget lets say, and you want to have an onclick function to open the weather app, not able to.

If you still say I'm wrong put up a vid or better yet a functioning script that does this....

23. The Following User Says Thank You to The_Durben For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (11-02-2012)