+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Smart 3G' Will Help You Save Battery Life

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Battery life is precious and we all love to save it when we can so our iPhones stay alive as long as possible. One way to do this is by
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default 'Smart 3G' Will Help You Save Battery Life

Battery life is precious and we all love to save it when we can so our iPhones stay alive as long as possible. One way to do this is by disabling wireless radios when they aren’t in use, but unfortunately that requires cumbersome effort. That’s why iOS developer Itay Brenner invented a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Smart 3G.

Smart 3G is going to make life easier for you by automatically managing your wireless radios in the background. When you are on a Wi-Fi network, Smart 3G can automatically disable all cellular data so those cellular radios aren’t draining your battery unnecessarily. As soon as you leave the vicinity of the Wi-Fi network or you turn Wi-Fi off, Smart 3G will automatically re-enable your cellular radios so you always have an active Internet connection.

Being that you will always have an Internet connection, you will be able to continue iMessaging your other friends even when the cellular data is off. You can also send SMS to your friends while your cellular data is turned off, but you cannot send MMS. Voice phone calls can also be sent with cellular data turned off.

The part of the tweak that is most appealing is the automatic transition from Wi-Fi to cellular data. The tweak is very fast at changing between radios and in turn, your Internet experience will feel seamless while it saves your battery in the background.

From the settings application you will find a preferences pane for Smart 3G with two simple options – 1. enabling and disabling the tweak; 2. disabling data, but not 3G. By default, Smart 3G will disable both cellular data and 3G (2G also) from the Cellular options in the Settings application.

If you find yourself always short on iPhone battery life, this tweak might be able to help you out a bit. Give it a try!

Name: Smart 3G
    Price: $1.50
    Version: 1.0-2
    Requirements: iPhone, iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Itay Brenner
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-30-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: You can also make voice calls with cellular data turned off by the tweak

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I notice you didn't address the ability to receive/make calls. Who would want a tweak (a good idea regardless) that will prevent them from making or receiving important calls

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mariousmc View Post
    I notice you didn't address the ability to receive/make calls. Who would want a tweak (a good idea regardless) that will prevent them from making or receiving important calls
    You can make voice calls with cellular data turned off. I'm sorry for leaving that bit out. I've added it in.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh ok my mistake. So literally nothing is affected or interrupted when this tweak is used?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mariousmc View Post
    Oh ok my mistake. So literally nothing is affected or interrupted when this tweak is used?
    Correct. With Wi-Fi on, cellular data will be turned off. In this mode you can still send/receive iMessages, SMS messages, and voice phone calls. FaceTime calls can be conducted while on the said Wi-Fi network, but MMS messages are considered data, so you wouldn't be able to send MMS with cellular data off. You can, however, send picture messages over iMessage.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-30-2012 at 11:45 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

There was an app that did something similar but there was some lag so I removed it. It was especially an issue when you had your phone open, closed it and then opened it back up to make a call it wouldn't go through. Not sure if this app will lag in such a way but it is actually a great idea.

Thanks

No lagging that I could tell

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I learnt my lesson with apps like this that mess with the radio -- so no thanks. After I purchased "battsaver" and used it on my first 4s I lost all signal and had to get a refurb replacement, then I used the app AGAIN on the refurb and the same thing happened. The app performed it's function because I got terrific battery life while using it but I cant afford to purchase a new iphone every few months in order to extend battery life. So 2 iPhone 4s' later I've finally learned the lesson. Btw I contacted the dev too and he didn't care nor did he offer to do anything.

I've also read that there's quite a few people that have had the same issue with that particular program.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How do we know for sure that the iPhone doesn't already automatically do this? I mean when wifi is connected, the 3G icon in the status bar is replaced by the wifi signal icon. If they were both on, wouldn't it show both icons?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

so this app will basicly toggle the Celluar Data tab in the Network settings when wifi is dectected? then it will turn it back on for you when wifi is not detected? so this app will conserve battery life by not searching for 3g when wifi is available?

so when this app is active and wifi is avaialble, will i see the Celuar Data tab set to off?

will this app support 4g for iphone 4s?
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 10-31-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks

battsaver does this and more...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wel i bought this but it doesnt do what it should :S if i leave my Wifi zone it wont automaticly enable 3g/data it only enable my 3g/data if i manualy toggle Wifi off :S :S. i already posted the developer of this and he promised a update yesterday but still nothing :S.. i gues a wast of my money...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoGo22 View Post
    Wel i bought this but it doesnt do what it should :S if i leave my Wifi zone it wont automaticly enable 3g/data it only enable my 3g/data if i manualy toggle Wifi off :S :S. i already posted the developer of this and he promised a update yesterday but still nothing :S.. i gues a wast of my money...
    I am working addressing this issue that occur in some people

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

i for one will stick with ¨Auto 3G¨, witch is a jailbreak tweak that has long been in cydia and does essentially the same thing except it goes even further... Auto 3G will change from 3G to E (edge) connection when you lock your phone(in a user determined time after lock) and switches back to 3g seamlessly as soon as you swipe to unlock, it also gives the configuration options to prioritize radios, so where there is wifi available, it will turn 3g off but maintain cellular connection via E[and after switch back seamlessly]; you can even set to keep on E (edge or 2g however you want to call it) except for when specific applications that you determine are running, ect ect....

Auto 3G.. has done wonders for me...

in fact... here you go..
    http://modmyi.com/cydia/package.php?id=28562

i believe the above is an old package tho... Because i have it installed on iPhone 4S 5.2.1 and work amazing
    Last edited by mallenass; 10-31-2012 at 03:08 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    i for one will stick with ¨Auto 3G¨, witch is a jailbreak tweak that has long been in cydia and does essentially the same thing except it goes even further... Auto 3G will change from 3G to E (edge) connection when you lock your phone(in a user determined time after lock) and switches back to 3g seamlessly as soon as you swipe to unlock, it also gives the configuration options to prioritize radios, so where there is wifi available, it will turn 3g off but maintain cellular connection via E[and after switch back seamlessly]; you can even set to keep on E (edge or 2g however you want to call it) except for when specific applications that you determine are running, ect ect....

Auto 3G.. has done wonders for me...

in fact... here you go..
    ModMyi.com | Auto3G

i believe the above is an old package tho... Because i have it installed on iPhone 4S 5.2.1 and work amazing
    i didnt know there was a IOS version 5.2.1 for the Iphone 4S ?? How did you install this auto3g ?? i cant install it becaus in cydia it says that the ios i have (thats 5.1.1) is incompatible...

Green Apple
    Thanks

The only way that you could save battery life is by turning your iPhone off !!!! Because if you have a bad reception area u chances are drain battery quickly !!! Also don't for get the wifi as well the Bluetooth !!! This things can drain your battery life quickly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    so this app will basicly toggle the Celluar Data tab in the Network settings when wifi is dectected? then it will turn it back on for you when wifi is not detected? so this app will conserve battery life by not searching for 3g when wifi is available?

so when this app is active and wifi is avaialble, will i see the Celuar Data tab set to off?

will this app support 4g for iphone 4s?
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

It turns off the cellular data toggle as a whole, so even though the name implies 3G, it really works for everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itaybre View Post
    I am working addressing this issue that occur in some people
    Thanks for that, I am getting similar issues as well.
    Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks

I have a little problem....
    Every time between switching from 3G to WiFi network, iphone restart itself in safemode....

Thanks
    Looks good, did anyone try this? Any success?