+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Onavo Count Allows You to Examine Data Usage From Your Apps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Those of you that are familiar with Onavo know that their Onavo Extend application can help you use less data while connected to a cellular network. It’s great for people
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 787 Posts

Default Onavo Count Allows You to Examine What Apps Are Using Your Data

Those of you that are familiar with Onavo know that their Onavo Extend application can help you use less data while connected to a cellular network. It’s great for people with limited data plans because it shrinks the data size of many things, but it’s also great for unlimited data users too because the compressed size of data allows you to download content much quicker. If you haven't tried Onavo Extend yet, you should certainly look into it!

Onavo has launched another application for the iPhone dubbed Onavo Count. The application can be used to examine details of which applications on your device are using your cellular data and how much of it they’re using. It shows you real-time statistics for each application and the application also integrates with Onavo Extend to show you how much data was saved using Onavo.

When you open the application for the first time, you will be sent through a welcome screen (customary of Onavo to explain what the application does) that will help you understand the application. Once you get to the end, you will be asked to install a profile on your iPhone – go ahead and install this profile, because it will be necessary for you to use the application.

Information about your data usage will be broken down app-by-app so you can actually see how each application is affecting your data usage. This is wonderful because if you don’t understand why you are using so much data during the month, then Onavo Count will tell you exactly what the culprit is. Additionally, it does so in such a suave and fun-to-use interface.

As you can see from the screenshot examples above, Onavo Count actually color-codes your applications and shows a colorful bar at the top of the screen that visually displays which applications are using the most data. You can also just scroll down a little bit and look through the list of the applications where you will see how much data the application has used and how much data Onavo Extend has saved while using the application (assuming you have Onavo Extend installed). You do not need to have Onavo Extend installed to use Onavo Count, but it is highly recommended.

You can also see from the screenshots that as you scroll through the list of applications on the display, an indicator box follows your scrolling on the color-coded bar to indicate where you are in the list of applications. This feature will scroll along with your finger in real-time, which we thought was really neat.

If you tap on one of the applications from the list, Onavo Count will show you a more detailed demonstration of the data usage from that application. Above on the right side of the screen is a gauge that shows you if the application is a data-hog or not and the graph will actually show you how much data the application is using on a weekly basis. This can help you monitor your usage so you don’t end up paying for data overages.

Onavo Count also comes with sharing options so you can share with your friends and family how much data you’re saving and hopefully they’ll join in on the free service as well. You can share via Twitter, Facebook, E-mail, and text message.

In addition to all these features, Onavo Count is 4-inch display-ready (iPhone 5) and supports LTE usage. The application is fully compatible with any iPhone no matter what carrier you have. This is a great application to add to your iPhone application collection. You can download Onavo Count for free from the link below:

Onavo Count
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-30-2012 at 03:53 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You forgot to mention that the real reason that you'll use less bandwidth is because it will slow your connection down to a crawl. Been there, done that, not falling for it again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    You forgot to mention that the real reason that you'll use less bandwidth is because it will slow your connection down to a crawl. Been there, done that, not falling for it again.
    I can't confirm this. Data doesn't slow down to a crawl for me at all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I tried it right after this was posted. Seemed to work ok for a few days, but I didn't notice any difference, then it started taking excessive amounts of times loading (like I was using Edge instead of 3G). Tried re-installing several times. I had to do a full network reset on the phone, which fixed it. Tested once more and had the same experience. I also noticed that the actual 'savings' was marginal.

Thanks

Very nice looking UI!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

First icon looks like "The Shocker", had to look twice.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Onavo Extended works pretty well for me and doesn't seem to slow down my data speeds for the most part. It only has issues occasionally with certain apps for some reason. It reduces my data about 10-15% a month which ends up being a few hundred MBs or so since I use several GBs each month.

Onavo Count looks pretty good too so I'll have to check it out now.

Thanks

Some Rogers/Fido (Canada) customers are saying that this app is screwing up their network connection.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had it but it started causing issues to my Exchange connections

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Onavo extended is a very good app. Do not install it if you are on iOS6 though, because you will not be able to send picture mail to anyone who does not have an iPhone. Plus you will receive you your voicemails a day or two late. I spent hours on the phone with both Apple and AT&T customer service which didn't help then I saw a post online. As soon as I uninstalled the app rebooted my phone everything was good. I thought I had a defective iPhone 5 since that was one of the first apps I installed. I hope this saves someone else from the heartache it caused me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myster305 View Post
    Onavo extended is a very good app. Do not install it if you are on iOS6 though, because you will not be able to send picture mail to anyone who does not have an iPhone. Plus you will receive you your voicemails a day or two late. I spent hours on the phone with both Apple and AT&T customer service which didn't help then I saw a post online. As soon as I uninstalled the app rebooted my phone everything was good. I thought I had a defective iPhone 5 since that was one of the first apps I installed. I hope this saves someone else from the heartache it caused me.
    Guy Rosen, the CEO of Onavo, informed me that the issue relating to picture messages has been resolved and it seemed to only affect a small number of Verizon users.

I've had no issues sending pictures messages myself.

Thanks

Doesn't the iPhone already give these stats natively..albeit without the fancy UI? Usage gives the same thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Doesn't the iPhone already give these stats natively..albeit without the fancy UI? Usage gives the same thing.
    iPhone gives you a combined total of sent and received data in MB, but it doesn't break it down app-by-app for you and doesn't show you what Onavo Extend is saving you. The iPhone's interface also won't show you a weekly representation of data usage for each application.