+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Phillips hue, an App-Controlled Light Bulb to Debut at Apple Stores Today

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Starting today, Apple’s stores will begin carrying the Philips hue lightbulb, otherwise dubbed as “the world’s smartest LED bulb.” For those of you who don’t know, the hue is an
    Thanks

Default Phillips hue, an App-Controlled Light Bulb to Debut at Apple Stores Today

Starting today, Apple’s stores will begin carrying the Philips hue lightbulb, otherwise dubbed as “the world’s smartest LED bulb.” For those of you who don’t know, the hue is an iOS application-controlled lightbulb that will only be available in Apple’s Retail Stores. The lightbulb comes priced at $199 for a starter pack of three lightbulbs of 600 lumen and a hue bridge to connect the bulbs to a home network.

Each bulb offers all shades of white and a variety of color, utilizing 80% less power than traditional lightbulbs while providing the equivalent of a 500 watt bulb. There is an option to buy a huge introduction pack which can expand to up to 50 individual bulbs, with each extra bulb being priced at $59. With an iOS application, hue allows users to remotely control their home’s lighting and personalize settings such as timers. According to Philips, the bulbs are also upgradable and future-proof as more features can be downloaded in the future.

One of the more interesting features the app sports is called “LightRecipes”, which are four pre-programmed lighting settings based on the company’s research regarding the biological effects that lighting has on the body. The scenarios adjust bulbs to the optimum shade and brightness of white light to help users relax, read, concentrate or energize. Other features that the hue sports include the following:

• Save your favorite light scenes for each room or time of day and recall them in an instant
    • Use any photo on your phone as a color palette to paint your room with light and bring your memories back to life
    • Tune white light from warm candlelight to vibrant, cool white light
    • Create ambience or complement your decor with the colors of the rainbow
    • Control and monitor your lights remotely when not at home for security and peace of mind
    • Set timers to help manage your daily routine
    • Let light wake you up refreshed or help your loved ones fall asleep

The hue is the second home automation device being pushed by Apple in retail stores, with the first one being the Nest learning thermostat. Similar to the Nest, the hue also connections to iPhones via a free application and aims to reduce users’ power bills.

Will you be picking up the Philips hue?

Source: Phillip’s hue
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 10-30-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

$199 for a lightbulb!? Hell no. I don't care how smart it is. I don't care if it can talk to my fridge and my toaster simultaneously and make a phone call on my behalf to order a pizza. The pricing is way out. I'd rather NOT spend that money on an android tablet and save for an iPad mini instead
    Last edited by aidanharris; 10-30-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

For a home this would be simply laziness at it's best.
    For large premises like hotels or convention centres, then having remote control of lighting would be useful - but they already exist in a much more cost effective method.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

No, you get 3 bulbs for $199.

Also, there has been a couple Kickstarter campaigns with iOS-controlled multicolor LED bulbs so maybe the price will come down as more of these get on the market.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    No, you get 3 bulbs for $199.

Also, there has been a couple Kickstarter campaigns with iOS-controlled multicolor LED bulbs so maybe the price will come down as more of these get on the market.
    For three lightbulbs it is still expensive since most people have more than three lightbulbs in their house. This is a good idea for the rich and the lazy though...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    "
    ...utilizing 80% less power than traditional lightbulbs while providing the equivalent of a 500 watt bulb..."
    Umm, I think you mean 50 watt. The equivalent of a 500 watt bulb would be truly spectacular! (and impossible).

What's Jailbreak? frogpocalypse's Avatar
    Thanks

Just two spelling fixes:
    bob should be bulb in paragraph two
    Next should be Nest in the last paragraph

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    $199 for a lightbulb!? Hell no. I don't care how smart it is. I don't care if it can talk to my fridge and my toaster simultaneously and make a phone call on my behalf to order a pizza. The pricing is way out. I'd rather not spend that money on an android tablet and save for an ipad mini instead
    wys 👆👆👆

Thanks

Based on the 15 year life of the bulbs and the energy savings I think anyone could benefit from them.
    I'll wait for more options since the bulbs are built on a new standard, not Apples, for a less expensive alternative.
    Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!

Thanks

I think pricing is on par with current LED technology, especially multi-color LED technology. I've seen multi-color LED fixtures from lighting companies and prices are still pretty steep right now. I'm working on a ~22,000 SF office building construction project and it's costing about $30,000 additional to switch from fluorescent to LED fixtures (the difference in cost between the two). But the energy savings will be massive. I heard of another FedEx project where it's costing over $300,000 to switch to LED, but that cost will be recouped in just 10 months of energy savings.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait for the copiers to make the same
    Product but for 19.99 ....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

are people really that rich they can just throw money at stupid stuff like this and not worry about the consequences? good lord. 200 dollars for some freaking light bulb.s i spent a dollar a piece on some "go green" bulbs that have lasted me well over a year....oh my they dont turn red or blue when i want them to, my life is ruined!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

No way to recoupe the money spent. Maybe $99 would make me have some more interest in it. At least the Nest thermostate I bought has saved me money, these lights are just "for fun".

Banned
    Thanks

HAHAHAHAHA
    Do Apple really think people will buy a pack of 3 lightbulbs for $199? LOL
    I can get 3 light bulbs from the local shops for $10. I think its $10? I haven't brought any bulbs for ages as they all work and dont need replacing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

These are fantastic!!! We currently use many bulbs similar to these in our house for mood lighting (Wine room, bedroom, over the shower, over the bathtub). Ambience control is such a beautiful luxury we have in today’s day and age. The LED bulbs we currently use have every color and are controlled by a remote. They run around $50 a piece, but are well worth it. It is going to be so nice to be able to have more control over our rooms!!!

We as a society spend excess money on less important things... excess clothes, cars, houses, jewelry, food, TVs, iPads, computers, phones, etc...it all comes down to how you want to appreciate/enjoy your life. My wife and I spend countless hours in our favorite rooms in our house enjoying life the way we want to. Sound and lighting are a must have luxury in our homes.
    Last edited by GerardFlores; 10-30-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GerardFlores View Post
    These are fantastic!!! We currently use many bulbs similar to these in our house for mood lighting (Wine room, bedroom, over the shower, over the bathtub). Ambience control is such a beautiful luxury we have in today’s day and age. The LED bulbs we currently use have every color and are controlled by a remote. They run around $50 a piece, but are well worth it. It is going to be so nice to be able to have more control over our rooms!!!
    No offence but you do realise how sad you sound don't you? There are people in the world that are homeless and dying of starvation and your spending $50 on lightbulbs. What has the world come to these days...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

LED bulbs are not known to be bright.
    600 lumen is not bright at all, it is only 50 Watt.
    That 500 watt is an error.

600 lumen is not even bight enough for bathroom lighting unless you have like 6+ of these running. I have regular LED bulbs in my bathroom which cost about $8 each. Only reason I got these is they are suppose to last a long time + save money on energy bill.
    $200 for starter pack??? I guess they picked the right place that can get away with charging people this type of money.
    Last edited by unison999; 10-30-2012 at 10:41 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default lol
    No offence but you do realise how sad you sound don't you? There are people in the world that are homeless and dying of starvation and your spending $50 on lightbulbs. What has the world come to these days...

Says the individual with access to a computer and internet If you are so worried, you probabably should spend less time on websites such as this talking about apple products I'm a teacher and change lives everyday...we all have a right to endulge in a few things once in a while should we choose

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There are people around the world that are starving, and you spending money on overpriced Apple product(s)? Where will you draw the line?

Who cares if they are spending $50 for a bulb. They made their money not you, don't tell people how to spend their money.
    Plenty of people here spend $90+/mo for cellphone bill and $200+ for a subsidized cellphone, this looks ridiculous to many people around the world.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Good Grief, Charlie Brown!

I haven't bought light bulbs in years . . . and I'm certainly not spending $200 for 600 lumen bulbs!

The only thing similar to Apple products about these is the fact that they are pricey like the Mac Pro which starts at $2499!