+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Phillips hue, an App-Controlled Light Bulb to Debut at Apple Stores Today

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by GerardFlores We as a society spend excess money on less important things...clothes, cars, houses, jewelry, food, TVs, iPads, computers, phones, etc... I wouldn't consider clothes, shelter, and
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GerardFlores View Post
    We as a society spend excess money on less important things...clothes, cars, houses, jewelry, food, TVs, iPads, computers, phones, etc...
    I wouldn't consider clothes, shelter, and food less important than light bulbs..

I agree that you are free to spend your money how you like though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    There are people around the world that are starving, and you spending money on overpriced Apple product(s)? Where will you draw the line?

Who cares if they are spending $50 for a bulb. They made their money not you, don't tell people how to spend their money.
    Plenty of people here spend $90+/mo for cellphone bill and $200+ for a subsidized cellphone, this looks ridiculous to many people around the world.
    Not trying to start an argument and did state that I didn't want to offend anyone so if people want to spend a ridiculous amount of money that's fine by me. I'm just saying people should be more thoughtful and mindful of other people when spending their money. In short though you've earned your money so spend it however you want

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    I wouldn't consider clothes, shelter, and food less important than light bulbs..

I agree that you are free to spend your money how you like though.
    I meant (excess) I'll insert that word into my original post.

edit: haha, i originally wrote "excess money".
    Last edited by GerardFlores; 10-30-2012 at 11:25 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by repoman16 View Post
    are people really that rich they can just throw money at stupid stuff like this and not worry about the consequences? good lord. 200 dollars for some freaking light bulb.s i spent a dollar a piece on some "go green" bulbs that have lasted me well over a year....oh my they dont turn red or blue when i want them to, my life is ruined!!!!
    And they contain Mercury, but whatever.

Thanks

...are people seriously arguing on this thread?!?! C'mon guys

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    Not trying to start an argument and did state that I didn't want to offend anyone so if people want to spend a ridiculous amount of money that's fine by me. I'm just saying people should be more thoughtful and mindful of other people when spending their money. In short though you've earned your money so spend it however you want
    I don't mean to offend.

See how that works?
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-30-2012 at 02:54 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Kinda interesting with the ability to change lighting colors (if you're 13 years old) but there are much better lighting control solutions than this...perhaps an Insteon system that can be controlled with an app as well. A little more money in the beginning but much more control of your home..albeit without the ability to make your living room glow like a red light district sex parlor. I think once the novelty of this wears off it will go the way of the rest of Philips failed ideas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA
    Do Apple really think people will buy a pack of 3 lightbulbs for $199? LOL
    I can get 3 light bulbs from the local shops for $10. I think its $10? I haven't brought any bulbs for ages as they all work and dont need replacing.
    No. Philips does.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

"No offense" does not excuse anything dude, it actually is offensive even to you.
    If it is not offensive you would not need to add "no offense" to the sentence.
    You should just respect the person for his ability to make bank, leave him/her be.
    When you try to preach by telling them to think of others before making a purchase you may deem extravagant, people will get annoyed. You should have just left that part out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    "No offense" does not excuse anything dude, it actually is offensive even to you.
    If it is not offensive you would not need to add "no offense" to the sentence.
    You should just respect the person for his ability to make bank, leave him/her be.
    When you try to preach by telling them to think of others before making a purchase you may deem extravagant, people will get annoyed. You should have just left that part out.
    Your probably (by which I mean you are right) and not everyone wants to face reality and may get annoyed by me criticising their lifestyle. As I previously said although my comments may have been deemed offensive by some at no point did I mean to cause offence and am of course sincere towards anyone that was offended by anything I may have said. In the future I guess I'll have to be more considerate of others and think through what I am actually saying. At the end of the day though I am only stating my opinion. Nobody has to listen to it if they feel my opinion is wrong but we all (at least if we don't we should have) free will to say whatever we want whenever we want even if some people may get "annoyed" about it or don't want to hear it...
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-30-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks

HAHAHAHAHA
    I can get 3 light bulbs from the local shops for $10. I think its $10? I haven't brought any bulbs for ages as they all work and dont need replacing.
    I agree!! Just like it is insane to sell an iPad with 64GB and 4g data for over $900. No one will buy it, they will instead buy an Android tablet for a few hundred...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
    And they contain Mercury, but whatever.
    So does eating tuna out of a can. looks like I cant do that anymore.

Thanks

Sweet, the most overpriced light bulb in the world that will only turn when Apple wants it to, how do you reboot a light bulb when it runs out of memory?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Sweet, the most overpriced light bulb in the world that will only turn when Apple wants it to, how do you reboot a light bulb when it runs out of memory?
    I guess you just have to call Philips and follow their most probably hopeless troubleshooting steps :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

HAHAHAHAHA
    I think on this Holliday I will spend like 1600 dollars to replace my light bolts hahahahaha naaa crazy people if they buy it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    how do you reboot a light bulb when it runs out of memory?
    That is a scary thought.

Thanks

No offence but you do realise how sad you sound don't you? There are people in the world that are homeless and dying of starvation and your spending $50 on lightbulbs. What has the world come to these days...
    Sorry but do you realize how sad you sound? If he can afford this luxury to make his life more comfortable in his home than he has that right. It's not his responsibility to save the world.
    He could be generous and give away his money to starving people and do without any luxuries, but if he's living a lifestyle that you believe he is wasting his money on useless expenditures, I'm sure the taxes on his large income are supporting many useless people that don't want to work and probably own an iPhone on his share of our ridiculous system. So don't be so quick to judge bud.

There's my right to opinion.

That last post pissed me off so bad that I didn't notice the flamethrower was already cooking this guy before I read that I wasn't alone. What balls!
    Last edited by flash66; 10-31-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Sorry but do you realize how sad you sound? If he can afford this luxury to make his life more comfortable in his home than he has that right. It's not his responsibility to save the world.
    He could be generous and give away his money to starving people and do without any luxuries, but if he's living a lifestyle that you believe he is wasting his money on useless expenditures, I'm sure the taxes on his large income are supporting many useless people that don't want to work and probably own an iPhone on his share of our ridiculous system. So don't be so quick to judge bud.

There's my right to opinion.

That last post pissed me off so bad that I didn't notice the flamethrower was already cooking this guy before I read that I wasn't alone. What balls!
    I was only stating my opinion something I have said multiple times now. If you disagree with me so be it and by all means retaliate as you have. I respect your opinion whether I agree or disagree with it and would hope that you respect my opinion just as I respect yours.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Awesome
    I just got some, and I have to say, they're freaking awesome. Definitely pricey if you just like cool gadgets. But if you're really picky about lighting, they're a must have. I'm exceedingly picky about the mood of my lighting to the point of being OCD. What I was doing before was draping various clothes and such over all the lamps in my room so that I could get their brightness just right, I would use different colored clothes to tweak the colors slightly as well. Balancing and adjusting clothes on top of lamps had become a daily thing. I even have various colored bulbs that I occasionally change out because I like switching it up. These new bulbs are definitely for someone like me.

Probably the best $200 I've spent in a while. I'm kind of a freak when it comes to mood lighting though.
    Last edited by donkeykong42; 11-01-2012 at 12:18 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

You'd be amazed at how much lighting affects the human psyche. Anyone who has the f.lux app on their Apple device will understand.

As a photography student, I've been studying light and have had an interest in lighting scenes and lighting changes for a while now. I looked into the Instaeon system, and I like the number of options they already offer like plugs, light switches, thermostats, etc., but the amount of stuff they offer is somewhat daunting. The Phillips system seems rather simple, but I wonder if it can be used when you're away from home like the Instaeon setup can? DonkeyKong42: Can you confirm?

Edit: nevermind. I found it. There's a web interface you can log into and control the lights.
    Last edited by SirZyrion; 11-02-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: More Info

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12