+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apples iOS Chief Scott Forstall Forced Out

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
he's the fall guy.
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

he's the fall guy.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    I never looked at it that way. Hey can probably get paid a fortune in parachute payments for getting fired and still keep his stock and go work for another company to start over and get stock in that company too...
    Just to clarify; he cashed in his Apple stock worth $38m, so he now has that in cash and no more Apple stock. Also I think in his case it's a Golden Handshake as the parachutes are normally for people at the top i.e if Tim Cook nose dived Apple Inc into the ground whilst setting fire to their $100bn (or whatever) cash-pile whilst also destroying Apple's Goodwill (public view of Apple) he would receive a golden parachute as Apple is bought by some other company.

Why oh why is this site so slow to update comments but so quick to email me of comments?

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

shutdahell^^^^^^^^ for your biased verdict. Who are you to decide... Scott was probably put in place.....

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Scott was never my favorite, but they can't single him out for the "Maps issues" everyone there including Tim Cook saw and used the app before it was released. It's not like it was a huge failure anyway, sure it had some problems but that happens with a lot of new releases like that. The only reason why it turned so big was because the media blows it out of proportion like everything else Apple releases, in either a positive way or negative. I still find problems with Google Maps here and there and they've had maps for a lot longer. At least Apple is taking care of the issues. If I were in Scott's shoes I would've done/said the same thing he did. He didn't need to apologize for anything or put him name down as the person responsible...the media blew it way out of proportion like he said.

One of the things I didn't like about him was his hang up on Skeuomorphism. It was never the best thing to implement into iOS. I'm glad the Jony Ive will now have more say in what goes into the OS, that'll be really cool to see what new products are like. Like I said he wasn't the greatest but he didn't deserve to take the fall for Maps.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oddlane View Post
    First, the maps app has been great for me.
    Maps may work for many people who lives in popular cities, but for many people that is not the case. Apple did not even allow people to change the default map app back if they need/want to.

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    One thing I'm sick of: the maps app debate.
    It is not a debate, Apple admit it is inadequate. Even tried to make this guy sign something to admit it was his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Gervs View Post
    if Tim Cook nose dived Apple Inc into the ground whilst setting fire to their $100bn (or whatever) cash-pile whilst also destroying Apple's Goodwill (public view of Apple) he would receive a golden parachute as Apple is bought by some other company.
    No it wouldn't Apple was fine before Tim Cook took over, Apple would try to hire Steve Wozniak to take over if Tim left.
    Last edited by unison999; 10-30-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    No it wouldn't Apple was fine before Tim Cook took over, Apple would try to hire Steve Wozniak to take over if Tim left.
    Do you mean they wouldn't give him a golden parachute or that they wouldn't be bought by another company?

Green Apple
    Thanks

This reminds me of communist Russia, when Stalin came into power. He's making all of these changes that Jobs would have never let happen and in my opinion, these decisions aren't so great. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple began to fall within the next couple of years or so.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,551 Times in 4,329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by revblaze View Post
    This reminds me of communist Russia, when Stalin came into power. He's making all of these changes that Jobs would have never let happen and in my opinion, these decisions aren't so great. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple began to fall within the next couple of years or so.
    Gloom, doom, gloom, doom. What happened to Apple in '95-'96 could never happen again. Your stock is fine - Apple will be fine. They DO need to find a 'wide-eyed' crazy inventor type - though - like Jobs was. Cook - doesn't even look cool trying to wear the same 'casual' look as Steve did. Cook is 'all businessman' / 'all manager' type.. And everyone can see it instantly. Even when he tries to talk with excitement about a product - you can tell he's been watching old 'Steve Jobs' videos. It's not workin' for him - at all. That's why I'm sad to see Forstall go. He was the face of all those 'how to videos' and introducer of all the cool new features in the new product release addresses. After great products --> It's all about image, gang. It always has been - always will be.. Cook ain't the front man.

And I agree with those who are saying Forstall, alone, was not the architect of Maps. It was a team and he wasn't even the head of the team. It was a total 'force out' situation for 'personal reasons' by people who just didn't like him - again - happens in biz all the time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gervs View Post
    Finally we might see an iOS UI update.

If you read this story on a grown up news site it mentions that he loved his faux natural textures i.e wood, leather etc, and was greatly responsible for the iOS UI we have today (& yesteryear & the year before that and so on). Forstall was also, allegedly, abrasive and brash. Him and Ives (who dislikes the faux textures as a UI design concept) not only didn't see eye-to-eye but Ives refused to take a meeting in the same room as Forstall. Even though Forstall's duties will be split between several execs (who volunteered to do this to get him out the door quicker, who needs enemies eh?), I hope Ives is the UI lead as this might lead to a (much needed) UI redesign.
    Personally, I like the faux textures Forstall was fond of. My only problem with the iOS UI is that notification center's linen texture has weird/ugly lighting applied to it. I think it would have been fine if it looked identical to that of the app switcher.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Apple tried to make him the patsy, he refused and got fired.
    Forstall is not the one who buys mapping technology for Apple, releases the map when it is so obviously not ready. Every one of the executives had an iPhone 5 before release, they all knew how bad the iMap is yet still decided to release it to public.
    All these additions to his "rap sheet" is just trying to make him out worse than he is.
    Well its not like anyone but corporate apple can even make the assumptions we made or you made

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Perfect option!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    There's probably a clause in his an every other Apple employees contract to prevent them from revealing any company secrets that could help to compromise Apple...
    That just means he needs to do it out of the country! lol and I really don't have any problems with maps. Vegas is a fairly easy city to navigate though

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

So will Apple edit him out their Apple products videos?

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 717 Posts

nah, because there obsolete

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I never really liked him. He just seems like a complete as_hole :P

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123