+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Download Streamed Videos in Many Apps With This New Free Jailbreak Application

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by aidanharris So if I were to download everything that is on Netflix while I have my free months trial and then cancel that would somehow be legal?
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    So if I were to download everything that is on Netflix while I have my free months trial and then cancel that would somehow be legal?
    Yes, as long as you don't sell or distribute.
    Perfectly legal for your own use. Law set in the early 80's when Hollywood went after SONY's BetaMax. SONY won.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

comfirmed it does download netflix.. but why would you want to ? files are huge.

works on Vevo too.. excellent.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see it on either when I search... Hmmm

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    comfirmed it does download netflix.. but why would you want to ? files are huge.

works on Vevo too.. excellent.
    The files are huge I'm assuming since it's HD. I suppose it's all right if you have a 32/64gb iPad though. It's probably best just to transfer them to a PC though after they have downloaded. This tweak does not work on all apps though. Any other UK users (like me) that frequently use BBC iPlayer, videos cannot be downloaded (I'm assuming it's because of the encryption on their videos they use)...
    Last edited by aidanharris; 10-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    If it works with Netflix it clearly isn't legal but a nice tweak for sure...
    Netflix should thank them,I reactivated my account because of this tweak!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Purely for my own educational purposes ( I love a challenge ) .. I was able to get one of the videos I downloaded to play on windows.. took some decryption, merging and muxing to get audio and video combined properly.. but the whole process now completes in about a minute.

I won't be providing instructions.. I'm sure that is a violation .. but for anyone who likes a challenge and is technical, I can at least attest to the fact it works.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    Yes, as long as you don't sell or distribute.
    Perfectly legal for your own use. Law set in the early 80's when Hollywood went after SONY's BetaMax. SONY won.
    I'm not sure that is a true statement.. he's not actually buying the movie, he's licensing a right to stream it on demand.. he might be ok as long as he has an account in good standing to do it.. but the moment he terminates his account then I don't believe he would be legal anymore.. ( if legal at all .. ) their TOS may very well prohibit having a local, offline copy.

The laws you're referring to have to do with fair use.. Hollywood did not want people making copies of movies they purchased because they could use it to distribute the films.. but they lost because the court decided it was acceptable for the person to be able to make a back-up copy of their legally purchased content.

You're allowed to do that with CDs for the same reason.. it just gets tricky when it comes to DRM / Encryption because the DMCA has a provision which prohibits reverse engineering the protections.. so while you're able to backup your files.. you're not allowed to decrypt them.. the DMCA became a huge push for Hollywood because the DVD encryption key leaked and it made it possible for people to decrypt them and convert them to other formats.. remove region encoding .. etc

That's why I don't believe the Sony decision on fair use applies to legally being able to save netflix movies
    Last edited by oneduality; 10-29-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

@Oneduality, your arguments make sense when it comes to copying physical media. The Sony law also covered the recording of broadcast media from television to be viewed at a later date using the Betamax video tape recorder and/or VHS, which in this case applies. Again, as long as the content isn't being distributed or sold. This app falls under the same rules as using a DVR or VHS to record broadcast material.

Thanks

The only crime here is paying Netflix and Hulu $8 a month and no option to download the movies,lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi..help please!! I Switch off the "Enable all apps" switch and the app crashes everytime.. I cannot select the apps tab.. And doesnt work anymore..tried reinstalling but same problem again and again..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmartesc View Post
    Hi..help please!! I Switch off the "Enable all apps" switch and the app crashes everytime.. I cannot select the apps tab.. And doesnt work anymore..tried reinstalling but same problem again and again..
    Try going into Cydia --> Universal Video Downloader --> FileSystem Content --> Delete everything that appears in FileSystem content and then uninstall and reinstall the tweak.

You can also download crash reporter from Cydia to see if there is any reason why it is crashing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did what you told me in Cydia bu deleting everything in Ifile then uninstalling in Cydia.. Reinstall again and same problem.. Downloaded Crash Report but honestly dont know what to do with it..i mean theres a error logged..but i cant interpretate it..what should i do?

Thanks

I did what you told me in Cydia bu deleting everything in Ifile then uninstalling in Cydia.. Reinstall again and same problem.. Downloaded Crash Report but honestly dont know what to do with it..i mean theres a error logged..but i cant interpretate it..what should i do?
    Did you try and reboot your phone then try again?

Thanks

Download sbsettings (if you don't already have it) and open the sbsettings application. Once open scroll down and go to mobile substrate addons and toggle everything off apart from "UniversalVideoDow...". This should solve your problem. You can then enable everything else one by one until you find out which other "Dylib" (to use the technical term) is conflicting with UniversalVideoDownloader...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did everything you suggest me to do...i even upgrade today to version 1.0.3... Same problem..:S

When i try to select Apps Tab it crashes...

The first time i installed it worked great...without problems... But when i decided to selwct in wich apps i wnt

In wich apps i want the prompt by turning off enable all apps inmediately crashes and doesnt work any more..cause i deselect it and its configured to work with NO applicattions at all.. Uninstall and respring and install again and all the solutions here wont work... Weird i know..
    Last edited by jmartesc; 11-01-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks

I did everything you suggest me to do...i even upgrade today to version 1.0.3... Same problem..:S

When i try to select Apps Tab it crashes...

The first time i installed it worked great...without problems... But when i decided to selwct in wich apps i wnt

In wich apps i want the prompt by turning off enable all apps inmediately crashes and doesnt work any more..cause i deselect it and its configured to work with NO applicattions at all.. Uninstall and respring and install again and all the solutions here wont work... Weird i know..
    Well there was a new update today,give it a try and see what happens

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Indeed with the new update it worked.. it actually told me what the problem was...it seems to be a malfunction of the AppList dylib... The application told me when entering App tab..
    Reinstalled it and worked like a charm...
    Thanxs for your time and help..
    Great day 2 U!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oneduality View Post
    Purely for my own educational purposes ( I love a challenge ) .. I was able to get one of the videos I downloaded to play on windows.. took some decryption, merging and muxing to get audio and video combined properly.. but the whole process now completes in about a minute.

I won't be providing instructions.. I'm sure that is a violation .. but for anyone who likes a challenge and is technical, I can at least attest to the fact it works.

Cheers!

I'm not sure that is a true statement.. he's not actually buying the movie, he's licensing a right to stream it on demand.. he might be ok as long as he has an account in good standing to do it.. but the moment he terminates his account then I don't believe he would be legal anymore.. ( if legal at all .. ) their TOS may very well prohibit having a local, offline copy.

The laws you're referring to have to do with fair use.. Hollywood did not want people making copies of movies they purchased because they could use it to distribute the films.. but they lost because the court decided it was acceptable for the person to be able to make a back-up copy of their legally purchased content.

You're allowed to do that with CDs for the same reason.. it just gets tricky when it comes to DRM / Encryption because the DMCA has a provision which prohibits reverse engineering the protections.. so while you're able to backup your files.. you're not allowed to decrypt them.. the DMCA became a huge push for Hollywood because the DVD encryption key leaked and it made it possible for people to decrypt them and convert them to other formats.. remove region encoding .. etc

That's why I don't believe the Sony decision on fair use applies to legally being able to save netflix movies
    How do I decrypt the netflix files? I have been looking all over the internet and you're the only person who seems to have been able to successfully accomplish this. Please, if you could, explain to me the process of doing so. Thank you in advanced!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12