+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Represents 77% of All AT&T Smartphone Activations Last Quarter

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
"Dominant" is probably the only word that could be used to describe how the iPhone fared against competing smartphones on the AT&T network last quarter. On Wednesday, the carrier announced
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iPhone Represents 77% of All AT&T Smartphone Activations Last Quarter

"Dominant" is probably the only word that could be used to describe how the iPhone fared against competing smartphones on the AT&T network last quarter. On Wednesday, the carrier announced that 77% of all smartphone activations during the third quarter were iPhones.

"We had another impressive quarter with strong earnings growth, record cash flows and solid returns to shareholders through dividends and share buybacks," said Randall Stephenson, AT&T CEO. But the iPhone isn't responsible for only good news these days at AT&T, a carrier that once exclusively controlled iPhone coverage in the US.

As it turns out, the overwhelming majority of third-quarter iPhone sales went to existing AT&T subscribers. All told, AT&T added just 151,000 net new subscribers in the quarter, compared with the average expectation for 358,000, Reuters reported.

Verizon Wireless, in comparison, added 1.5 million net new subscribers for the quarter. "They're clearly losing significant market share to Verizon Wireless," Stifel Nicolaus analyst Christopher King tells Reuters. "It appears, based on these numbers, that Verizon Wireless is really pulling away from the rest of the industry."

For the immediate future, analysts expect AT&T to rely less on gaining new customers and more on growing revenue by persuading existing customers to bring more connected devices over to its network.

Source: Reuters

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    i guess i missed the stats that connected fewer activations for AT&T to defecting customers leaving for Verizon...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoloDiva13 View Post
    i guess i missed the stats that connected fewer activations for AT&T to defecting customers leaving for Verizon...
    AT&T had 150,000 new activations verizon had 1,500,000. Which is ten times as much btw.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zoltan1600 View Post
    AT&T had 150,000 new activations verizon had 1,500,000. Which is ten times as much btw.
    And may that number continue to grow. The more Verizon takes from AT&T, the closer the day comes when AT&T actually has to do something right to keep the rest of us.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 2,038 Posts

im leaving att because they dont have enought towers in my area. its a vacation hotspot and everytime we get a large about of visitors the network bogs to the point that its useless

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

AT&T will probably lose more with there stupid rules with FaceTime for people who don't jailbreak!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoltan1600 View Post
    It's a good thing people leaving AT&T, so its network won't get congested so often anymore.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

I would have jumped ship to Verizon cause they have 4G in my area. But that unlimited data plan with AT&T keeps me here sigh lol. Maybe next year I will switch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    It's a good thing people leaving AT&T, so its network won't get congested so often anymore.
    I was thinking the same thing,lol

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    I would have jumped ship to Verizon cause they have 4G in my area. But that unlimited data plan with AT&T keeps me here sigh lol. Maybe next year I will switch.
    Same here love my unlimited data hate the dropped calls and lack of LTE

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't stand AT&T, horrible service in my area (Chicago) and I can not wait to leave. 2 more months and I gone. Thinking about Sprint but I don't see a lot of good things said about them. Verizon seems the way to go. Jeez cannot wait to get rid of
    Uverse as well. Horrible and I mean horrible everything about Uverse!