+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint iPhone 5 Bug Potentially Affecting Thousands of Users, Prevents Data Use

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sprint iPhone 5 Bug Potentially Affecting Thousands of Users, Prevents Data Use

Reports of a server activation related bug randomly affecting Sprint iPhone 5s have started to surface, with one user detailing the frustrating problem in an email sent to ModMyi this evening.

The problem in question greatly hampers or in many cases outright prevents users from using mobile data on their iPhone 5s. The problem has been ongoing since the release of the iPhone 5, and if the email we received is accurate, Sprint has no idea how to fix the problem. A number of Sprint support forum threads have accumulated thousands of posts and complaints, without an official response from Sprint or Apple.

Reading through the posts it becomes apparent Sprint is scrambling internally to figure out a solution, and in the meantime is blaming everyone else for the mishap, even going as far as to claim a fix was pushed to users on October 15th.

As of now Sprint’s “fix” involves replacing iPhones and SIM cards until something hopefully happens. Carol Mayhew and her son Reed detailed their experience, which included switching out five iPhones and three SIM-cards. Sadly, it fixed nothing and the affected phone is still unable to utilize Sprints mobile data network.

“Finally after nailing down a high level tech support person, he admitted that it is a Sprint software error with Sprint’s ‘Activation Server,’ the problem is random, and Sprint does not know the cause and therefore does not know the solution.”

Have any ModMyi readers been affected by this Sprint activation problem?

Source: Sprint Support Forums

Thanks

i've been affected by how many sprint iphone 5 are on craigslist for sale, only iphone 5 for sale are for sprint now i know why. Getting sprint is the worst thing anyone can do, especailly for the iphone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    i've been affected by how many sprint iphone 5 are on craigslist for sale, only iphone 5 for sale are for sprint now i know why. Getting sprint is the worst thing anyone can do, especailly for the iphone.
    I absolutely agree with you. I recently switched to sprint because AT&T was on my *** about my data usage. Sprint was the only major carrier who offered unlimited data. My IP5 has had data issues since day 1. I regret leaving AT&T.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I dont have any issues with sprint or my data. I just want 4G!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Omg, what a shock!... Not
    Sprint sucks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone therandy's Avatar
    Thanks

That's not a bug, they're just confused and are trying to surf the web whilst on hold with sprint customer service! =) ok ok just kidding, I do feel bad for anyone who's on Verizon or Sprint. I love my AT&T and the grandfathered unlimited data plan I'm on. I've only been throttled once by AT&T and that's because I used 5GB of data. But as soon as my billing cycle started over, the throttling stopped. Love love love AT&T!
    Do what you can when you can, Why Wait?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Still figuring this all out but I have been having issues with my IPad also

Green Apple
    Thanks

Im on verizon and i notice that when i go from Wifi to LTE then i have to put the phone in airplane mode and back just to surf the web. Am i the only one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildgene789 View Post
    Im on verizon and i notice that when i go from Wifi to LTE then i have to put the phone in airplane mode and back just to surf the web. Am i the only one?
    No, you're not the only one.
    We have two iPhone 5's and both do the same thing. Both on AT&T
    I get some service, but it's 1 bar of nothing, then three to five bars of Edge, back to no bars and back to Edge... Cycling over and over until airplane mode is turned on and off.

Then and only then do i get 4G.

AT&T has no idea what the problem is
    Told me to restore and set up as new phone and keep WIFI off as there are "known wifi issues"
    Didn't fix the problem

iPhone was replaced and still have the same problem.

So as of right now, it looks to me to be a HUGE glitch in the phones or ios6.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Word. most times this is an article hating on AT&T or even 10 carriers but mentions AT&T specifically. I love how there are millions of complaints with sprints service/speeds but if there's ever anything abnormal with AT&T service there's an article. Sure they can be dumb but don't act like that's the only person who rips me off

Green Apple
    Thanks

AT&T i5 here with the same damn problem!! It's driving me crazy and AT&T seems to be clueless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildgene789 View Post
    VZW pushed a carrier update to fix wifi and 4G issues go to your about page and wait for it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I actually had the same issue a few weeks ago. What the rep did was deactivated my phones and then reactivated them. That seemed to do the trick for me

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have 5 iPhone 5's on sprint. I find performance to be solid. AT&T was faster, but only when it worked. And I can actually make a phone call now.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the same problem i had from the time I received my iphone 5 on September 21st.
    The difference is; my carrier is AT&T.
    I should mention that I had set up the iphone 5 with a restore from my iphone 4.

I went through all the usual steps, including a full reset, replacement of sim card, etc.

Finally, I went to the Apple store, where they verified that I had the problem.

However, this only occurred when I didn't have WiFi turned on.

Apple restored my phone to IOS 6 as new at the store and the problem went away.
    I was then instructed to restore my apps, songs, podcasts, contacts, etc., once I got home.
    But they told me not to do this as complete restore or the problem would reoccur.
    So I had to go into Itunes and check these items and then apply the changes.
    They were left to conclude that it had something to do with my old APN settings being pullled over.

I have owned an iphone 3G, 3GS, and 4.
    Also, previous iphones had been jailbroken.
    I remember that I had used SAM and ultras0w at some point during my jailbreaks.

All I can say now is, the problem has gone away.
    Last edited by thevmax; 10-23-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efi2nr View Post
    AT&T i5 here with the same damn problem!! It's driving me crazy and AT&T seems to be clueless.
    I have a iPhone 4 on AT&T and I have been having the same problems with my 3G.

Green Apple
    Thanks

LTE activation is an odd process involving several steps. Depending on your signal and proximity, it can take anywhere from 10 seconds to 24 hours for full LTE activation to occur. During this period, it is important to ensure the phone stays powered on and in signal range during the entire process.
    I had this issue when activating my LTE iPad. I spent hours on the phone with Verizon support and nobody could figure it out; they all kept saying my SIM was "partially activated." So I went to the Verizon store to get a new one, and after convincing them it was not an "Apple proprietary SIM card," and that any micro-SIM would work, they finally agreed to give me a new one but they had to install it. Sadly I had the same activation result. Finally when I got home, I made the call to Verizon support, during which I spoke with the most knowledgable support person I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with from any company. She said it was not the SIM causing the problem, it was that the activation records showed it as completed when it was not. She also told me the reason was cutting power during the activation process. She was right; the first time I tried, I removed the SIM about 5 minutes after to see if it was interchangeable with my air-card, and with the 2nd SIM the guy in the Verizon store tried restarting the iPad! So, she simply reset the activation record, then I restarted my iPad and almost immediately upon restart it had 3G and said "Activation Successful," though still no LTE. This is when she told me it could take up to 24 hours, but judging by my signal strength and the number of activations presently occurring, it should only take about 10 minutes. Just then that beautiful LTE symbol popped up, and I've been paying through the nose ever since! (Lol)

Note: when my SIM was in a "partially activated" state, I was able to connect to the LTE network with a bit of trying. If I switched airplane on and off a few times it would connect to LTE and be blazing fast. After connecting to wifi or restarting the device it would go away again. I was able to use over 4gb of data in this partial state (thank you Verizon). But I knew something was terribly wrong because you should be able to switch cellular on and off and reconnect in seconds; this wasn't the case.

Now that my activation records were reset and I didn't power my device off or remove the SIM, the LTE network was able to properly activate my device/SIM. I learned my lesson with my iPhone 5 and didn't do any restoring from backups or resets, and followed the activation instructions exactly, giving the device the proper time to do its thing. Then I set it up as a new iPhone and synced all of my data to it.

Note Note: You should never restore a non-jailbroken device from a backup of a jailbroken device. I wouldn't restore the backup from a different device either (i.e. iPhone 4 -> 5), but that's just my preference. The jailbreak backup could actually cause issues, I'm not sure about the backup of a different device.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    This is the same problem i had from the time I received my iphone 5 on September 21st.
    The difference is; my carrier is AT&T.

I went through all the usual steps, including a full reset, replacement of sim card, etc.

Finally, I went to the Apple store, where they verified that I had the problem.

However, this only occurred when I didn't have WiFi turned on.

Apple restored my phone to IOS 6 as new at the store and the problem went away.
    I was then instructed to restore my apps, songs, podcasts, contacts, etc., once I got home.
    But they told me not to do this as complete restore or the problem would reoccur.
    So I had to go into Itunes and check these items and then apply the changes.
    They were left to conclude that it had something to do with my old APN.

I have owned an iphone 3G, 3GS, and 4.
    Also, previous iphones had been jailbroken.
    I remember that I had used SAM and ultras0w at some point during my jailbreaks.

All I can say now is, the problem has gone away.
    We have the same issue. I have to install all my apps one at a time. The same thing with my personal datas ;(

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
    That's not a bug, they're just confused and are trying to surf the web whilst on hold with sprint customer service! =) ok ok just kidding, I do feel bad for anyone who's on Verizon or Sprint. I love my AT&T and the grandfathered unlimited data plan I'm on. I've only been throttled once by AT&T and that's because I used 5GB of data. But as soon as my billing cycle started over, the throttling stopped. Love love love AT&T!
    Sir, you could not be more wrong. I love my Verizon iPhone 4S. It is much better than new AT&T and Verizon iPhones because I too have the grandfathered unlimited data so your whole argument is invalid. However sprint does suck. Love love love Verizon! Lol

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
    Someone sued AT&T for something like that in small claims court and won $800, I suggest you try and do the same