Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint's iPhone 5 Comes Out on Top in iPhone Call Quality Test

Thanks

Default Sprint's iPhone 5 Comes Out on Top in iPhone Call Quality Test

A recent unscientific examination (conducted by Scott Stein of CNET) of the iPhone 5 audio quality between the top three U.S. wireless carriers resulted in Sprintís version of the iPhone 5 having the best call quality compared to its AT&T and Verizon counterparts. As mentioned before, the test was subjective and conducted by a reporter so the results may vary but itís still an interesting thing to read about.

The test conducted was just a reporter phoning San Francisco from a New York street corner in New York and comparing voice mail recordings using all three iPhone 5 carrier models and iPhone 4S models as well. Not the best way to receive measurable results but a test nonetheless.

The results were all from an individual case and donít reflect nationwide performance, which may vary due to several factors. The reporter tested both the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5 in this case and as one may guess, the recordings clearly indicated the difference between the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5, with the legacy model coming in a bit mushy coupled with noticeable background noise.

Out of the iPhone 5 models, the worst one was AT&Tís version of Appleís sixth-generation handset, with the noise canceling feature being somewhat effective but background noise leaking through. Out of the top three wireless carriers in the nation, AT&Tís version apparently exhibited some ďgraininessĒ and sounded the most compressed. Verizonís version was a bit more clear and less background noise came in when compared to the AT&T unit, however a closer listen revealed minor hissing and popping. Sprintís iteration was the clear winner with the reporterís voice coming in with richness and a level of clarity that no other carriers seemed to match. Ambient sound was a non-factor and the transmission was clean (no hisses no pops).

While Apple released an iPhone 5 for all networks, two of which are compatible with the two different wireless technologies deployed in the U.S. (CDMA and GSM), the quick test illustrates the importance of a providerís network when it comes to call quality. For those of you who didn't already know, AT&Tís iteration uses GSM technology while the Sprint and Verizon iterations operate on CDMA networks but also have GSM capabilities, with all three supporting 4G LTE (albeit on different networks).

For those of you who have tried the iPhone on multiple networks, have you noticed any differences?

Source: CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Unfortunately none of us have 3 iPhone 5's running on each of 3 carriers. Sorry.

Have they tested the data speeds for Sprint? Its horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Loko914 View Post
    Horrible indeed. Even on 3G (contrary to their coverage map, 4G is practically non-existent in South Florida, but they still charge you that extra $10/mo just to have a 4G phone) my brother-in-law's speed was slower than dial-up. He returned his iPhone 5 to Sprint under their 14-day return policy and moved his number to my ATT account.

This isnt that important but uhh is it me or the earphone port is on the wrong side

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
    This isnt that important but uhh is it me or the earphone port is on the wrong side
    Just you, mines on top.

Sprint on 4g isn't as bad as some portray, It all varies on the area for sure.

Thanks

Yep, it cracks me up I know some Sprint users on LTE that are happy to get 3Mbps down...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not surprised!

Also.. LTE in Chicago for Sprint has been seeing 20 mbp speed! Better then my AT&T iPhone.

every call from every carrier is always different. most of the time depends on your location, I have a friend .(in particular) sprint. every time he call me,most of the call sounds different. and not only from him, even from my wife, att

Connection suck So far on my iP5, I may get back to 4s. And I guess this is all AT&T

WYS homie! The only provider with unlimited data and we as customers cannot access it!

I have tried all of the sprint is by far the best plus unlimited data adds to fact sprint is phone to buy if u use alot of data

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Just you, mines on top.

Sprint on 4g isn't as bad as some portray, It all varies on the area for sure.
    Mine is on the bottom, but it just reversed when taking a picture, don't know why some cameras do that..

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Just you, mines on top.
    Mine is not like the picture...in that side position, mine is on bottom...

You think these speeds are horrible on sprint? Then your a dumby, I'm happy to reach speeds from at least 2-7mbps, cause after that its just unnecessary but still nice to get really fast data speeds compared to your home Internet.

Does anyone know which headphones are shown in that photo?

Quote Originally Posted by trafj View Post
    Does anyone know which headphones are shown in that photo?
    I was about to comment on them too!

Apple really should theme their headphones based on phones or ipods colors.

"The test conducted was just a reporter phoning San Francisco from a New York street corner in New York "

Since we like being redundant shouldn't this sentence read: The test conducted was just a reporter phoning a San Francisco phone in San Francisco from a New York street corner in New York?

Are there 10 other New Yorks out there in America?

Quote Originally Posted by misterjay View Post
    Not surprised!

Also.. LTE in Chicago for Sprint has been seeing 20 mbp speed! Better then my AT&T iPhone.
    Glad you have better luck. Most can't even get phone service in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyGearIsaac View Post
    You think these speeds are horrible on sprint? Then your a dumby, I'm happy to reach speeds from at least 2-7mbps, cause after that its just unnecessary but still nice to get really fast data speeds compared to your home Internet.

Yes, everyone complaining about Sprint is dumb. How dare us complain that we don't get what we pay for.
    Last edited by sammy1977; 10-21-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Default SPRINT DATA ON iPHONE 5 UNBEARABLY SLOW!
    My SPRINT iPHONE 5 data speeds are out of this world SLOW!!!

I REGULARLY get 0.02 mbps up AND down, and my ping can hit 1500! This is ridiculous!

I have called Sprint business customer support and tech support and they both confirmed that there is an "overload" on the 4 towers in my area. One agent said they fixed the closest tower and the other said they are planning on upgrading all four towers due to this problem... BY DECEMBER!

What I dont understand is that OTHER phones (Even iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s) on Sprint get much faster data speeds... why is this specifically an iPhone 5 on Sprint related issue?

The apple store has been very helpful in resetting some setting and doing restores... all to little avail. I see about 30 minutes a day with around 0.50 mbps up and down, but it doesnt last and the phone is basically useless in terms of email and web browsing while NOT on wi-fi.

I liken my iPhone 5 to a ferarri with a lawnmower engine. It has the POTENTIAL to be exceedingly fast, but something is slowing it down.

By the way, I live in Metro Detroit... we are "rumored" to get LTE before the end of the year.

Anyone having similar issues? Anyone found any solutions?

I am a DIE-HARD Apple fan... this issue is ridiculous!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast