+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Make the Stock iOS Camera App the Best Camera App You've Ever Used With 'CameraTweak'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Make the Stock iOS Camera App the Best Camera App You've Ever Used With 'CameraTweak'

All of you iPhoneographers out there that love taking photographs with your iPhone are going to love this tweak. It’s called CameraTweak by iOS developer samball. The tweak makes your stock iPhone Camera application much more powerful by adding many highly demanded features into the interface with a small silver button that can be used to show and hide the features – all this, for just a buck. We will outline all of the new features below.

1. Manual Focus and Exposure

With CameraTweak, you can manually set the focus and the exposure. Normally, your iPhone does this for you automatically and you can tap anywhere on the screen to set focus and exposure yourself. The big difference here is that you can actually separate the focus and the exposure from one another. This is very useful for composing the perfect shot if you want to focus on one spot in a photograph, but adjust the exposure for another spot in a photograph.

With CameraTweak, the blue box represents exposure and the yellow circle represents focus. Just tap and drag to move them around and watch your photograph change.

2. Different Composition Overlays

iOS 5 brought the grid overlay to the Camera application, allowing you to use the rule of thirds to compose photographs beautifully. CameraTweak adds even more overlays. You can use these overlays to compose a photograph is a specific way; although, they won’t show up on the actual photographs themselves. They are merely guides for you to use. There are four different ones to choose from.

You can switch between composition overlays simply by swiping up and down on the spin box.

3. Time Lapse Photography

CameraTweak also adds a time-lapse feature to the Camera application, allowing your iPhone to take photos at intervals automatically. All you do is set the amount of time you want as an interval for taking photographs and the iPhone will do the rest, snapping pictures at each interval. Time lapse is awesome when you want to watch how something changes over a period of time.

To use the feature you just tap on the time-lapse button, set the amount of time (you can pick between minutes and seconds), and then press the shutter button. You will see a large countdown on the screen for whatever amount of time you set (as illustrated above) and then the pictures will just start snapping. You can terminate the time lapse by tapping on the stop button in the middle of the screen.

4. Timed Photographs

Apart from time lapse, CameraTweak also adds a photograph timer as well. This feature allows you to set an amount of time and the Camera will then snap a picture when the time is up. This feature differs from the time-lapse feature because it will not repeatedly take photographs. Instead, you will have to manually press the shutter button each time you want to take one.

Just like time lapse, you can set the amount of time and then press the shutter button and you will see a large countdown on the screen for the amount of time you set. The picture will snap as soon as the time is up.

5. Custom Video Frame Rates

CameraTweak isn’t limited to taking photographs. It also adds awesome new features to the video function. One of these features is a custom frame rate. Custom frame rates can increase or decrease video quality, depending on how to set it. Higher frame rates will have better quality, while lower frame rates won’t. With CameraTweak, you can the frame rate from anywhere between 1 and 60 frames per second.

6. Custom Resolutions and Frame Guides

Another feature for the video camera is the ability to set custom resolutions and frame guides. The tweak allows you to record video in different resolutions, which can be changed by scrolling up and down in the resolution box. As for the frame guide feature, this will place gray blocks at the sides of the screen to help you keep content of the video more centered while shooting at different aspect ratios, which you can also change by scrolling up and down in the aspect ratio box.

The tweak includes a white balance lock button on the screen that can be used to lock and unlock the white balance in both videos and photographs. You can adjust the exposure and the focus manually in both videos and photographs as well.

CameraTweak is for the iPhone only – it works with the iPhone 3GS and newer. It cannot be installed on an iPod touch or an iPad. The good news is that it works on both iOS 5 and iOS 6. Apart from the interface in the Camera application, you will not find any options to configure.

If you’re into photography and you love your iPhone, this tweak will combine the best of both worlds without making you install an additional application from the App Store. What's wonderful is that it's integrated into the stock Camera application and the interface can be toggled using the silver button next to the shutter button. It’s a steal for just 99 and you can find it on the BigBoss repository today. Check it out!

Name: CameraTweak
    Price: 99
    Version: 0.11
    Requirements: iPhone, iOS 5+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Samball
    Editor's Rating:  5/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-19-2012 at 12:57 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Sounds good! Now someone JB the iPhone 5 and I'll be happy!

What happened to the Dream Team?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There are more resolutions, swipe up on the box to cycle through them, also the only issue I have had is when you go above 30fps the video aspectratio is goosed :-( it becomes squashed.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post

Amen

Thanks

It may be a while for the iPhone 5 jailbreak, although the good news is the developer claims CameraTweak is fully compatible with the iPhone 5 and will work with it when the iPhone 5 does end up jailbroken.

Of course there is no testing to back this up due to the lack of a jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree. And I think the Dream Team fell asleep.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
    I agree. And I think the Dream Team fell asleep.
    That, or playing too much World of Warcraft
    AKA: Emerald Dream Team

Be aware that most features do not work with iPhone 4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Which features are you talking about? Every feature in the jailbreak tweak works on the iPhone 4, as the tweak was tested on an iPhone 4 for this review.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Did it get pulled?

Thanks

No it's still in the BigBoss repository right now. Refresh your sources if you have not already.

Thanks

All i want is the ability to pause a recording, and resume it again! WHAT APP DOES THAT???

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Which features are you talking about? Every feature in the jailbreak tweak works on the iPhone 4, as the tweak was tested on an iPhone 4 for this review.
    here is a short list of things that do not work in my iPhone 4 in video mode:

frame rate above 30 fps (for example if you set it to 60 fps it is still 30 fps, but horizontally distorted)
    high resolution (no difference to normal res)
    4:3 ratio (it is still (16:9 in the movie)
    Last edited by [email protected]; 10-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks

frame rate above 30 fps (for example if you set it to 60 fps it is still 30 fps, but horizontally distorted)
    The features 'work,' although configurations are quite limited (on the iPhone 4). You may use a lesser frame rate to create neat video effects too. Knowing the iPhone 4 is crippled, I would assume the iPhone 3GS would be even worse.

In that case, I will agree that only two of the mentioned may be considered 'handicapped' on the iPhone 4 (hardware limitation). I still do not see how this translates as "most" of the features not working when the tweak comes with several features.

iPhone 4S users will not be as limited with these features because of the upgraded camera hardware, which is capable of much more.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-19-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: clarification

I'm sorry to be so stubborn, but the 3 features that I listed above simply don't work in my iPhone 4. It does not matter what frame rate I set, the iPhone records always in 29.96 fms. The format setting 4:3 does not give me a movie in the 4:3 format. It is still in 16:9 format, only with a much worse resolution. And I really can't see any difference between the native 1280x720 resolution and the "High Resolution".

Thanks

The issues I have had :-( cheers for the list, I was hopping 60fps would work as the fps is determined by the software.

Even have the Rez at 60fps would be nice for something's.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

Banned
    Thanks

Yawn, all of this and more is a standard feature on the Galaxy devices., lmfo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Yawn, all of this and more is a standard feature on the Galaxy devices., lmfo.
    Yawn, So interesting...

Thanks

Tried it on the "mule" 3GS (because all JB apps I load there first) and Yikes! It has the 3GS listed but the silver ui button doesn't show, when the blank spaces is clicked a white box shows in the lower right side of the display. Touching the spaces where things are supposed to be gets a brief dialogue, to brief. So basically this is not really usable on a 3GS, yet (i.e. having faith that updates will fix these issues). Always leery of a apps that aren't at 1.00 or above from dev with only a few apps under belt. We shall see...