Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Auto Date, Time Settings Falter for Some iPhone 5 Users

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Auto Date, Time Settings Falter for Some iPhone 5 Users

Although Apple has largely managed to skirt any major glitch-related issues with the new iPhone 5, nearly one month after the device began reaching consumers, complaints are mounting with regard to the alleged incorrect display of date and time settings for iPhone 5 owners on the Verizon network.

"Just called Verizon with the same issues reported in this discussion," one person posted in Apple Support Communities. "Verizon would not admit to an issue and said they have not heard of this problem, even after citing the ticket #'s in this thread. Verizon 2nd level support put me in touch with Apple support. Apple said that the issue is with Verizon and that hopefully an upcoming carrier update would fix the issue."

Nearly two dozen pages worth of questions and complaints regarding the matter can now be found on Apple's support communities. The earliest complaint was recorded September 24th upon the iPhone 5's release. While it remains to be determined what is behind the purported issue, it is believed that the problem is either related to the iPhone 5's tendency to misinterpret time signals or that multiple Verizon cell towers are simply delivering incorrect timing data.

For now, Apple and Verizon are yet to formally comment on the issue or propose possible fixes. It's likely that either the problem isn't widespread enough to lend clarity to the real culprit, or both sides are still blaming one another for the problem in question.

Source: Apple Support Communities

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sure we can't possible expect any company to produce a working clock even on their 6th iteration of the device.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Sure we can't possible expect any company to produce a working clock even on their 6th iteration of the device.
    Let's see you program an operating system to go off without a problem.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    Let's see you program an operating system to go off without a problem.
    I've programmed a basic, but functional clock in my first year in college.
    Apple have been fighting this battle with iOS Clock for years now. How come every other phone maker can get it right and have been getting it right for decades?

Or perhaps Verizon will not own up to an issue on their end. As we know telecoms never have issues and hide them.

I've programmed a basic, but functional clock in my first year in college.
    Apple have been fighting this battle with iOS Clock for years now. How come every other phone maker can get it right and have been getting it right for decades?
    They have ?

Weird this to be a carrier issue and not a device issue. So no one with ATT iphone 5 have this issue?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BhadKarma View Post
    They have ?
    I haven't heard of other phone makers failing at day light savings time with 5 iterations of their software. I wonder if its fixed with iOS 6

And this is "news" because???

I haven't heard of other phone makers failing at day light savings time with 5 iterations of their software. I wonder if its fixed with iOS 6
    Every phone I have ever had has failed to change at day light savings correctly. That is because it isn't a phone issue, it is a carrier issue. This is the first year Telstra (in Australia) have ever managed to get the change to day light saving, in South Australia, right. Previously they would always change it on the wrong date. Yet my other phone, with Optus or Vodaphone, would always change correctly.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure its a Verizon network issue, because two of our devices (one a i4 CDMA and the other a LTE/CDMA iPad) have trouble retaining a correct date/time unless they are toggled from settings a few times.

My i4 unlocked doesn't do this, nor does it happen when I use my at&t/Straight Talk SIM in my iPad. Updating the time using the computer (during iTunes sync) or wifi (iPad only) works fine.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

This has been happening with numerous phones on the Verizon network including Samsung models the past several days....It is a Verizon and not an Apple problem..