+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Closer Than Ever to Cutting All Ties with Samsung

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Closer Than Ever to Cutting All Ties with Samsung

To say that Apple and Samsung have a contentious relationship would be the understatement of the century. Further illustrating the bad blood between the two tech titans, on Monday a new report out of Asia addressed Apple's compounding desire to cut all ties with Samsung.

As MMi has reported in recent weeks, Apple is said to be interested in eliminating its reliance on Samsung for the manufacturing of its mobile processors. "According to industry sources," the Korea Times published Monday, "Apple has not collaborated with Samsung in the process to develop its A6 microprocessor used in its latest iPhone 5."

In the old days, Samsung handled the manufacturing of the processors used in earlier model iPhones. But it's now safe to say that this trend will not remain in the months and years to come.

Apple is still relying on the Korean firm to manufacture its chips but has made it clear it will no longer use its rivalís technology, according to a senior Samsung official.
    "Samsungís agreement with Apple is limited to manufacturing the A6 processors. Apple did all the design and we are just producing the chips on a foundry basis," the source confirmed.

For now, all signs point to Apple developing its relationship with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSMC) for the purpose of phasing out Samsung altogether in this role.

Source: The Korea Times

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Good for them. If you're going to have this large of a Corporate "beef," then cut all ties & move on.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

They are going to kill Samsung. I have a feeling they have been planning ruining Samsung. By suing for billions and now they don't have apple as a client. Sure there's probably a different reason but I feel like apple has been trying to kill Samsung.. That's why they are pushing for the money in the lawsuits and pulling all their clients..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    They are going to kill Samsung. I have a feeling they have been planning ruining Samsung. By suing for billions and now they don't have apple as a client. Sure there's probably a different reason but I feel like apple has been trying to kill Samsung.. That's why they are pushing for the money in the lawsuits and pulling all their clients..
    Samsung is too big to be 'killed'. They have too many fingers in too many pies. Just like me at College

Thanks

Here is the rest of the story. Also for a better chip.

China Economic News Service reports on a research note from Citigroup analyst J.T. Hsu claiming that Apple is working with Taiwanese chip manufacturer TSMC as its sole supplier for future quad-core chips based on more efficient 20-nanometer processes. The timeline shared by Hsu suggests that the quad-core chips could make their way into products such as the iPad in 2014.
    Citigroup Global Markets’ market research fellow, J.T. Hsu, pointed out that Apple began verifying TSMC’s 20nm process in August this year and may begin risk production in November with the process. Volume production is expected to start in the fourth quarter of 2013, raising the possibility that TSMC will hike capital expenditure to US$11-12 billion in 2013 and 2014.

Hsu estimated Apple to design quad-core processors into iPad, iTV and even Macbook. iPhones will be still powered by duo-core processors to highlight its low power consumption merit.
    TSMC is in the early stages of developing its 20-nanometer processes, but the company promises significant improvements with the technology.
    TSMC's 20nm process technology can provide 30 percent higher speed, 1.9 times the density, or 25 percent less power than its 28nm technology. TSMC 20nm technology is the manufacturing process behind a wide array of applications that run the gamut from tablets and smartphones to desktops and servers.
    Apple currently uses Samsung as the manufacturer of its A-series chips for its iOS devices, testing out a 32-nanometer process with a revised A5 chip launched in the tweaked iPad 2 and the third-generation Apple TV earlier this year. Apple moved full-bore into the 32-nanometer process for the new A6 chip used in the iPhone 5.

Apple had been rumored several times over the past 18 months to be switching its ARM-based chip production to TSMC, but the company has so far stuck with Samsung. A late August report indicated that Apple and Qualcomm had each attempted to purchase exclusive access to TSMC's chip production, but TSMC ultimately rejected both bids. TSMC has, however, indicated that it remains open to dedicating individual factories to single customers, and it appears that Apple may be interested in pursuing that route in order to take advantage of TSMC's technical and manufacturing expertise.
    IPhone 5s....
    First MacBook Pro 13" I7 2.8Ghz with win7
    1 rooted Thrive
    08 Chevy 2500HD LTZ
    06 Dyna Lowrider
    40ft Raptor toyhauler

*T*
    Thanks

Samsung is their biggest competitor

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Careful what you ask for .....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    You said it!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    SamSunk has brought this on to themselves great Apple now go for the kill!

Thanks

That's what happens when Samsung bites the hand that feeds them. Why should Apple finance a major competitor with chip purchases? Samsung should try to sell chips to Google instead.

Banned
    Thanks

Talk about "bite the hand that feeds you" as thats a perfect example at what Apple did.
    If it wasn't for Samsung they wouldn't have an iPhone at all.
    They just dont want to pay Samsung for their services. First they get them to make the iPhones, then sue them for a lot more than those parts cost so in the end you get them all made for free.
    Now that they've had some time to find someone else to make the parts they sue them, then cut all ties with them.

So, instead of making a better device they kill the competition.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-15-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 860 Posts

Last edited by thazsar; 10-15-2012 at 04:13 PM.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,092 Times in 6,246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Yes, quite funny!!!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Talk about "bite the hand that feeds you" as thats a perfect example at what Apple did.
    Apple are just bast@@ds. They just dont want to pay Samsung for their services. First they get them to make the iPhones, then sue them for a lot more than those parts cost so in the end you get them all made for free.
    Now that they've had some time to find someone else to make the parts they sue them, then cut all ties with them.

So, instead of making a better device they kill the competition. NOT the way to do business crApple!
    Faerie you're an idiot. Apple didn't make Samsung do anything. Samsung bid to make iPhone components just like everyone else and were happy they won. The simple fact is TMSC have a better manufacturing process than Samsung and now it's time for Apple to move on.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,864 Times in 4,444 Posts

Apple are just bast@@ds. They just dont want to pay Samsung for their services. First they get them to make the iPhones, then sue them for a lot more than those parts cost so in the end you get them all made for free.

So, instead of making a better device they kill the competition. NOT the way to do business crApple!
    You're a figgin' moron, Faerie. It was a simple "bidding for the work" thing with Samsung. Apple's a huge client of theirs. My dad used to say "better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...". Think about it before you post next time. Jes' sayin'..
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Come on, don't be ridiculous. Look around - Appliances, Cameras, Mobile Phones, Computers, Home Entertainment, not to mention all the things they manufacture for other companies. It's just stupid to even suggest this will "kill" Samsung. Samsung will be fine.

Thanks

OMG NakedFarrie....really your going down the road of no facts again? I do believe if Apple wanted to make their iPhone without Samcrap they would have found someone else to make their chip, Samcrap isn't the only one out there. Samcrap is the one who started the battle with their best CUSTOMER, you just don't do that without feeling backlash. Again, go blow up your significant other, let off some steam and continue playing your on line games, or play with your droid....what a mis-informed goof....

Thanks

What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    Faerie you're an idiot. Apple didn't make Samsung do anything. Samsung bid to make iPhone components just like everyone else and were happy they won. The simple fact is TMSC have a better manufacturing process than Samsung and now it's time for Apple to move on.
    exactly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    SamSunk has brought this on to themselves great Apple now go for the kill!
    That is so ....... Samsung is not going anywhere. Apple is terrified of Samsung.

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    OMG NakedFarrie....really your going down the road of no facts again? I do believe if Apple wanted to make their iPhone without Samcrap they would have found someone else to make their chip, Samcrap isn't the only one out there. Samcrap is the one who started the battle with their best CUSTOMER, you just don't do that without feeling backlash. Again, go blow up your significant other, let off some steam and continue playing your on line games, or play with your droid....what a mis-informed goof....
    A goof calling someone a goof. How amazing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Samsung is too big to be 'killed'. They have too many fingers in too many pies. Just like me at College
    A company is never too big to fail!!