+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint Not Interested in Dedicated App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The nation's third largest mobile operator isn't interested in building and launching its own branded app store. Unlike Verizon and AT&T, which have closely emulated the app store goldmine formula
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Sprint Not Interested in Dedicated App Store

The nation's third largest mobile operator isn't interested in building and launching its own branded app store.

Unlike Verizon and AT&T, which have closely emulated the app store goldmine formula engendered by Apple, Sprint is setting itself apart from the rest and bypassing this effort altogether.

"We don't believe in having our own app store. Other people believe they can go in there and monetize...but we don't want to disrupt the ecosystem," says David Owens, vice president of product management and logistics for Sprint.
    Owens pointed to the company's Sprint Zone effort, which follows more of an app suggestion and discovery model rather than serving as a separate storefront. "[We're] not making money off that. We're just saying that we can be a trusted source for you," Owens said.
    Sprint will, without question, continue to offer apps in free bundles via the Sprint ID program. "We want to recommend some things built in bundles," Owens ads, but confirms that the traditional app storefront just isn't on Sprint's radar for the time being.

Source: Fierce Mobile Content

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think this is a good thing. Seems like they're not greedy. Now they just need to get LTE!!!!!

Thanks

ya got that right MgNate-- huge plus

Green Apple
    Thanks

++1... only company with an unlimited data plan still! Too bad they don't have the infrastructure in place or they could be awesome. i agree with MgNate; I'm certainly hearing nobody say "wow my sprint phone is fast," that's for sure! Sad thing is that Baltimore is the test site of Sprint's original next-gen LTE network and its still doodoo! We're supposed to be the first place to get the new hotness because they have a deal with the city. If this is it, it's really a sign of a sad state of affairs! My advice would be stop running super-bowl commercials and deploy, deploy, deploy; then deploy some more! IMHO. Lol ...at least they're saving money using the CEO instead of actors!

Thanks

Well everything you guys say I do agree and I'm glad I love the LTE network from sprint over here in Houston,Tx it's mega fast!

Thanks

Holy crap!! That's faster than my cable!!

Thanks

Sprint is what it is. Ive been a customer for nearly 2 years (yup I get to renew and claim my iPhone 5!!) and have had very extreme service with them. Sometimes everybody is an *******, other times they go above and beyond to resolve our issues. I will say that this "decision" to keep out of the app store game is respectable. These are the kinds of things that let consumers see that a company is not so money hungry as the rest.

Somewhat related, I have a Nook that I HAD to root in order to get any kind of value out it. Barnes and Nobles charges for apps that are FREE, and doesnt support apps that the rooted Nook does. I like the idea that with the Google Play store and the Apple App Store, apps purchased (or just downloaded) are available on a variety of devices, regardless of carrier.

Thanks

d00d its faster than my home internet, I would love to tether with my iphone but i don't feel like paying extra $50 a month for 6gb plan. I kinda wish it would automatically be with the plan since its unlimited data plan. In a way I do see it being worth it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyGearIsaac View Post
    Well everything you guys say I do agree and I'm glad I love the LTE network from sprint over here in Houston,Tx it's mega fast!
    is this in the galleria area?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyGearIsaac View Post
    d00d its faster than my home internet, I would love to tether with my iphone but i don't feel like paying extra $50 a month for 6gb plan. I kinda wish it would automatically be with the plan since its unlimited data plan. In a way I do see it being worth it.
    If you're unlimited just hang in there. The jailbreak will be released eventually, and you'll be able to use 3rd party apps such as PDAnet to tether, which the courts have found to be legal, and illegal for your carrier to penalize you for doing so. The court simply ruled that when they sell you data they can't tell you how you can & can't use it. They can place software or hardware restrictions but if you can get around them that's you're business. Or something like that lol... I'll never give up my unlimited data ESP now on 4G! I've used close to 10gb since 9/21 doing the same exact things that would take around 5gb on 3G.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miladjuckel View Post
    I haven't tried in the galleria area yet but ill check soon, but this was done in the southwest area zipcode 77035

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    If you're unlimited just hang in there. The jailbreak will be released eventually, and you'll be able to use 3rd party apps such as PDAnet to tether, which the courts have found to be legal, and illegal for your carrier to penalize you for doing so. The court simply ruled that when they sell you data they can't tell you how you can & can't use it. They can place software or hardware restrictions but if you can get around them that's you're business. Or something like that lol... I'll never give up my unlimited data ESP now on 4G! I've used close to 10gb since 9/21 doing the same exact things that would take around 5gb on 3G.
    Yeah I remember using mywi and att screwed me over by taking away my unlimited data plan but they gave me a warning and I never used it but I had my3g and they told me I was tethering again when my3g doesn't do tethering at all, I called them and they are just really stupid on the way they responded to me. I paid off my contract and bill and left them for sprint and now I'm happier. I save $500-600 a year with sprint and I get unlimited data even with LTE network!

Quote Originally Posted by miladjuckel View Post

Here's some more Speedtest results
    Last edited by GuiltyGearIsaac; 10-13-2012 at 07:29 AM.