+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumer Reports Says Flare Problem Isn't Unique to iPhone 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Consumer Reports Says Flare Problem Isn't Unique to iPhone 5

In recent days, Apple has been blasted by some amidst criticisms that a “purple haze” overcomes the camera when the iPhone 5 is pointed near an extremely bright source of light.

Apple said last week that users should simply adjust the angle of their camera when the purple haze becomes an issue. Naturally, for some, that answer wasn't acceptable. And they have been waiting for Consumer Reports to investigate. Well, they have. And here's what the venerable publication has to say.

All camera lenses, even those made for expensive SLRs, can yield lens flare, which is produced by scattered reflections inside the lens from a bright light source. How much flare appears in an image depends on how you orient the lens.
    In other words, there really isn't a problem with the iPhone 5's camera. In fact, the purple haze is quite normal. "Although this problem can be annoying," the report reads, "it's one that will probably not affect most of your photos, since it occurs only when a bright light source, such as the sun appears in the frame of the photo or just outside it."

So for the time being, the only way to really avoid the purple haze is to reframe your photo or video.

Source: Consumer Reports

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Gee, I hate to see actual fact-finding and investigative reporting get in the way of a good witch hunt.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
    Gee, I hate to see actual fact-finding and investigative reporting get in the way of a good witch hunt.
    The worst part is the amount of people who will say that this is "Apple Propaganda." But somehow don't seem to think it could simply just be true

Thanks

Well put, I don't know what Camera takes perfect pictures with the sun in the frame.

Here is my opinion about the whole "scuffgate" thing as well:

Make the phone out of glass

Pros:
    Scratch Resistant
    Cons:
    Can shatter if dropped
    User Complains: It cracks way too easily!!!

Make the phone out of plastic

Pros:
    Can take some falls
    Cons:
    Can be scratched
    User Complaint: Feels so cheap and it scratches easily!

Make the phone out of aluminum

Pros:
    Can take some falls
    Strong
    Cons:
    Can be scratched easier than glass
    User Complaint: I can't have my keys in same pocket as my phone... it scratches easily.

Make the phone out of steal

Pros:
    Can take some falls
    Strong
    More resistant to scratches than aluminum
    Cons:
    Heavy
    User Complaint: Way too heavy.

With such a wide user-base there is no way to make everyone happy. There will always be some group complaining, they still won't return it however they just will be really loud.
    Last edited by Norb; 10-10-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you take a photo with the sun at the edge, you're definitely "holding it wrong".

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

CR has been proven a company that fabricated data, don't put a damn thing in anything they have to say.

Thanks

This.
    Last edited by Christophxr; 10-10-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTRagnarok View Post
    you're definitely "holding it wrong".
    And thats getting real old!!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Thanks

This is what I've been saying from the beginning about this...

It's -not- that big of a deal. The "purple haze" only happens in pictures that would otherwise have a "white haze," something you shouldn't be taking pictures of in the first place. If you don't take pictures of the sun, you'll be fine...

But, as eballesq said, it's a witchhunt. People treat Apple products like a religion for some reason, and demonize the company, the products, and the people who use the products as if they're part of an opposing religion. It's not unlike the way X-Box fanboys behave toward PS3 users.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    It's -not- that big of a deal. The "purple haze" only happens in pictures that would otherwise have a "white haze," something you shouldn't be taking pictures of in the first place. If you don't take pictures of the sun, you'll be fine...
    Exactly! Lens flare is lens flare! Who cares what color it is. The photo is ruined by it regardless.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 670 Posts

Basic photography 101!!! Even back in the day they always told you to take pictures with the sun to your back. If people would stop and think and use common sense? Ops what am I thinking??? People don't use common sense and buy stuff with knowing not how to use them or reading the user guide. Lol and when something or goes wrong? It s the other persons fault or the manufacturer fault

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Here is my opinion about the whole "scuffgate" thing as well:

Make the phone out of glass

Pros:
    Scratch Resistant
    Cons:
    Can shatter if dropped
    User Complains: It cracks way too easily!!!

Make the phone out of plastic

Pros:
    Can take some falls
    Cons:
    Can be scratched
    User Complaint: Feels so cheap and it scratches easily!

Make the phone out of aluminum

Pros:
    Can take some falls
    Strong
    Cons:
    Can be scratched easier than glass
    User Complaint: I can't have my keys in same pocket as my phone... it scratches easily.

Make the phone out of steal

Pros:
    Can take some falls
    Strong
    More resistant to scratches than aluminum
    Cons:
    Heavy
    User Complaint: Way too heavy.

With such a wide user-base there is no way to make everyone happy. There will always be some group complaining, they still won't return it however they just will be really loud.

I like how Apple or iFanboys group similar complaints into 1 name Scuffgate.
    Put iPhone easily scuffed and scuffs right out of the box into 1, then shrug everything off with explanation to 1 complaint by placing fault to the consumer.
    You have no problem with scuffs right out of the box???
    Apple admit fault by slowing down product to increase QC, so guess what Apple is at fault here.

BTW it is spelled steel not steal.
    Last edited by unison999; 10-10-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Put iPhone easily scuffed and scuffs right out of the box into 1, then shrug everything off with explanation to 1 complaint by placing fault to the consumer.
    Apple admit fault by slowing down product to increase QC, so guess what Apple is at fault here.

Sorry I don't keep up with all the i-Gates and didn't know there were two different ones about the scuffing... Having scuffs on your device out of the box is not what I'm talking about and that is not OK.

My mistake on the spelling...

"I like how Apple or iFanboys group similar complaints into 1 name Scuffgate."

Lol
    Last edited by i.Annie; 10-11-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Basic photography 101!!! Even back in the day they always told you to take pictures with the sun to your back. If people would stop and think and use common sense? Ops what am I thinking??? People don't use common sense and buy stuff with knowing not how to use them or reading the user guide. Lol and when something or goes wrong? It s the other persons fault or the manufacturer fault
    Exactly! Learned this in 10th grade photography and just a lil bit of common sense here people, DON'T TAKE A PICTURE OF THE SUN, lol! Bunch of dummies with dummy complaints. My phone gets scratched, get a case. My phone get's scratched when placed in purse or pocket with keys and other crap in it, get a screen protector. I swear, some people just don't use their brain

Thanks

Why would you take a picture of the sun? You shouldn't look at the sun directly with your eyes so why would you do the same with a camera lens. And I also never put keys in the same pocket as my phone. The phone is just asking to get scratched up no matter how scratch resistant it is.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Again? How about you get off ModMyI and STOP trolling ever single article. You act like companies can't make mistakes. I admit I strongly dislike iOS6 and iPhone 5 but I don't go off bashing Apple. You waste SO much time commenting against Apple and yet they have way more money that you'll ever make, living in your mother's basement bashing Apple. I sure hope you're still in college cause otherwise you have no life.

Thanks

Speaking of iPhone 5 issues, does anyone have a problem with the Hotspot feature? It was working ok for weeks but the last couple days it hasn't worked at all. I turn it on and it says "Now discoverable" but nothing can find it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Whatever Consumer Reports says doesn't matter to me. I used different cameras and all models of iphones. I have this problem with only iPhone 5. It is an issue that Apple needs to address.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

By the way. It's spelled "by the way"

If your going to take the time to correct someone's honest mistake in spelling, then take the time to spell out your words and numbers.

Also please time the time to get a life

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Can i just rub this in the face of the people who kept doubting me? and this isnt fabricated data. well i mean all studies are bias/corrupt/manipulated however the statement is true... you cant stop light fragmenting.. you can certainly prevent but under different circumstances every single camera will get it