+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MLB Knocks Passbook Out of The Park

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default MLB Knocks Passbook Out of The Park

Apple is changing the game of baseball forever through it's new Passbook platform available with iOS 6.

According to new information bubbling to the surface this week, a trial run of Passbook in the MBL e-ticketing process shows that game-goers love using eTickets through Apple's Passbook platform. And the results have allegedly left the baseball business stunned by the success rate observed.

MarketWatch says that Bob Bowman, CEO of MLB Advance Media, was involved in an initial trial run of four teams for the last few weeks of this baseball season. 1,500 e-ticket buyers (or 12%) chose Passbook delivery.

“That adoption rate really floored us – there is no question our fans want digital tickets,” Bowman admitted to MarketWatch. “Fans can use the tickets, forward them to a friend, resell them, or even donate them to charity – and they never get lost or left at home.”

Proponents of this growing trend say that the trove of personal information fans provide through MLB’s iPhone app "can be used to create new loyalty programs and better targeted marketing campaigns." Bowman contends that “from a team perspective, the biggest advantage is knowing who is at the ballpark, how many times they come, and where they sit.”

Source: MarketWatch

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would definitely buy digital tickets for the ball game! I hate having hard copies because I always worry I'm gonna lose them!!!

Thanks

This is awesome!

Passbook has the potential to grow tremendously.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I used them for Game 1 of the Giants series and it was awesome!!! now if we can just get stub hub on board!!!

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    I used them for Game 1 of the Giants series and it was awesome!!! now if we can just get stub hub on board!!!
    +1, i buy 75% of my tickets on stub hub!

i read that stub hub Has iphone 5 integration plans so i figure it is in the works with that!
    The Join date says enough!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So how exactly is apple "changing" baseball? Are the players hitting with iPads and fielding with i5's?

No? Oh it's changing ticketing but not baseball.... I see. A bit over the top opening line maybe?
    Last edited by rkswat; 10-10-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks

Hope the Yankees win tonight!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Haha i bet whoever came up with the title thought they were clever...

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

i hope they know how to use it. In my case I went to Best Buy to buy my one silicone case for my iPhone 5, when I was about to pay I told the cash register that I have my rewards card and show it to him thru Passbook, he look at it and told me, ok now give me your phone number. Another day I went to Walgreens and did the same thing, the cash register was about to pass out when I showed her my passbook Walgreens card, she didn't know what to do. I understand about Walgreens, maybe they need to give a training to the employees about how to use it, they have ads about it in Walgreens everywhere but they dont know what it is. But Best Buy? Incredible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Another day I went to Walgreens and did the same thing, the cash register was about to pass out when I showed her my passbook Walgreens card, she didn't know what to do. Incredible.
    Yeah! I just went to Walgreens today and pulled out Passbook and the guy was like "Can I even do this? I don't think it would work" And I responded with trust me, it's the iPhone 5, it'll work
    Hacking away at the Apple tree!

It can't be Crysis...... Unless you have a Crisis trying to kill those damn aliens
    Sys specs: AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3ghz, 4 gb ram, OS: Windows 7 F.I.R.E 2010 Edition, nVidia 7900 GS, I-INC 25" LCD Monitor

Proud iPhone 4 32gb Black 5.0.1 and iPad 3 64gb Black 5.1 owner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    i hope they know how to use it. In my case I went to Best Buy to buy my one silicone case for my iPhone 5, when I was about to pay I told the cash register that I have my rewards card and show it to him thru Passbook, he look at it and told me, ok now give me your phone number. Another day I went to Walgreens and did the same thing, the cash register was about to pass out when I showed her my passbook Walgreens card, she didn't know what to do. I understand about Walgreens, maybe they need to give a training to the employees about how to use it, they have ads about it in Walgreens everywhere but they dont know what it is. But Best Buy? Incredible.
    Have you actually ever had to ask a Best Buy employee something? It's like talking to a wall... That doesn't talk back... That didn't graduate high school. Their lack of knowledge never ceases to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    So how exactly is apple "changing" baseball? Are the players hitting with iPads and fielding with i5's?

No? Oh it's changing ticketing but not baseball.... I see. A bit over the top opening line maybe?
    So because it doesn't relate to the over paid people who chase a ball, it doesn't relate to baseball? Interesting.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually like a paper ticket cause I can keep it forever! Like I went to a Colts game with my dad and i still have the ticket! Memories... Love you pop.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post

Seriously? Never read any other news sites, I see, and noticed the use of puns in headlines... Interesting.

Headline was good. Get over it.

Never even thought of going to a baseball game. Read the headline, it drew me in, and now I just might take my kids to one using Passbook because before hand I honestly didn't know, or so much care to know, where to buy tickets at.

I'm seriously getting sick of seeing the cynics post on the news threads here at MMi. Not that you always do it, but others do and you guys feed off each other.
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 10-11-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

And in the future you can put your iPhone in a frame with the signed copy of the Score Book and the picture of your family at the ballpark... I'm gonna miss paper tickets...