+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 Production Slows As Apple Addresses Quality Control Issues

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple is reportedly taking longer to produce iPhone 5 units as they attempt to address quality control issues having to do with customers receiving units with scuff marks in the
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone 5 Production Slows As Apple Addresses Quality Control Issues

Apple is reportedly taking longer to produce iPhone 5 units as they attempt to address quality control issues having to do with customers receiving units with scuff marks in the anodized aluminum. The scuff marks were addressed by Apple’s Phil Schiller as “normal,” with use but users know better than for a new device to come out of the box all scuffed up as if it had been drop-tested before being delivered.

Apple’s call for tighter quality control actually led Foxconn workers to go on strike last week, which Foxconn later denied. Foxconn's workers simply feel overworked, yet Apple’s demands for precision products puts more stress on the workers. In interviews, Foxconn workers share how every process in making the iPhone 5 offers dangers that could scratch the soft aluminum case.

While the good news is that Apple is ramping up their quality control, which has been slipping since the release of the iPhone 5, the bad news is those of us that ordered an iPhone 5 unit may have to wait even longer to receive it in the mail. Apple’s Web site still displays a three to four week waiting period before the iPhone 5 ships; however, with all of these interruptions the iPhone 5 can only be produced and shipped so quickly.

Sources: Bloomberg

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm waiting for my replacement from Verizon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
    I'm waiting for my replacement from Verizon
    Do they let you keep your current iPhone 5 while you wait for the replacement, or do you have to surrender that? (Just curious because I'll be returning mine if it has scuff marks on it.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

It's too little too late for me. chips straight out of the box.

I was not allowed to keep this phone while the new one arrived. No phone for three weeks?! Impossible!!

O2 UK sucked.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

heck at this point i might as well sell mine.

The 16 gb att i5 is going for 850+ on ebay. I can be patient and buy one later in the year.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

got mine last friday and spot checked it at AT&T, looked great happy I was not affected, but the LTE + Brightscreen drains my battery like crazy.

Can't find it in my heart to turn the brightness down, i've never done it on any former iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Do they let you keep your current iPhone 5 while you wait for the replacement, or do you have to surrender that? (Just curious because I'll be returning mine if it has scuff marks on it.)

Once they send me a new replacement I'll have to send my old one back

Banned
    Thanks

good thing i still have a handy dandy iphone 2g

Thanks

I walked into an AT&T store in Philadelphia on September 21 and picked myself up a beautiful black iPhone 5 64GB. Over the next day of using and I kept the back factory plastic on it until it annoyed me enough to take it off. When I finally took it off I noticed I had scratches on to sections of the annodized aluminum. I called AT&T and they said I would have to go return it for another one, but I told I said that was not an option since then I would be without a phone for who knows how long. They then transfers me to AppleCare and with no problems at all, setup a time for me to go into a local store swap out what was supposed to be a brand new iPhone 5. I went to Apple the next day and without a problem, they switched out my iPhone 5 with actual brand new one that had no scratches.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default do a reset
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    got mine last friday and spot checked it at AT&T, looked great happy I was not affected, but the LTE + Brightscreen drains my battery like crazy.

Can't find it in my heart to turn the brightness down, i've never done it on any former iPhone.
    do a "reset all settings", this worked for me tremendously. it will not erase your data.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

I know when I upgraded mine from a 32GB to the 64GB (within the 14 day period) I got to keep mine until the new one came in, then processed the return.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It seems like all of the scratches I've seen in PIC's are on the edge as pictured above. Mine has a tiny one on the top edge, but it's too late to do anything about it now. I figure I'm going to scratch it anyway, at least this way I can be mad at Apple instead of myself! Lol

I can't believe nobody is complaining about the rattle near the rear camera that you hear when you lightly tap the device. I'm beginning to think it may be a CDMA version problem since every Verizon iPhone 5 I've had in my hands (5 different units) all had this rattle and were all VZ (including a display model in the VZ store); I haven't gotten my hands on an AT&T iPhone 5 yet. I feel like more people having iPhones on AT&T, and them possibly not experiencing this rattle could be the reason more hasn't been made of it. I just would find it hard to believe that only the 5 I've touched rattle. It just makes it sound a little cheap, or not solid like my iPhone 4 sounds/feels, even though its prob just a ribbon or something rattling against the back case. I'd really like to at least know what's causing it, but everything works beautifully and I still love it (ESP with unlimited VZ LTE!)

If you want to see if yours does it, hold your new iPhone 5 face-up with one hand and lightly tap on the back, right near the camera. I can almost guarantee it will rattle if it's CDMA (particularly Verizon), and I'd love some feedback as to whether AT&T iPhone 5's are doing this or not. Before anyone says it, yes, I held the buttons solid to be sure it wasn't the them!

**Anthony**, you should maybe do an article on this and see just how many new iPhones are doing this because I have a feeling it's a lot (or all) of them, and I'd like to see if the issue crosses carriers...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    **Anthony**, you should maybe do an article on this and see just how many new iPhones are doing this because I have a feeling it's a lot (or all) of them, and I'd like to see if the issue crosses carriers...
    You aren't alone: Apple Support Forums.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine arrived with a gnarly scuff mark all down the side. Verizon was going to make me pay $750 to order a replacement and wait 3 weeks to get a new one then they said I may or may not get a refund of that money when I sent the old phone back. Something with by that time I would be out of my 2 week trial phase. I ended up cancelling my new account with Verizon and sending the phone back to them.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

I had picked mine up at the local att store and no scratches or chips at all for me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You aren't alone: Apple Support Forums.
    I see. Makes me feel slightly better... I guess. Thanks for pointing me there. It's odd I couldn't locate that on my own!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the first iPhone that I didn't run out and get on the first day. I am really kinda glad at this point. Between the scratches and reported light showing through the edges and the little issues here and there with 6.0 and such.. I am waiting for 6.1 and the small quality control issues to be worked out.

Apple bring the phones to the USA to be made... the problems that you see with these over worked chinese workers won't be there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    It seems like all of the scratches I've seen in PIC's are on the edge as pictured above. Mine has a tiny one on the top edge, but it's too late to do anything about it now. I figure I'm going to scratch it anyway, at least this way I can be mad at Apple instead of myself! Lol

I can't believe nobody is complaining about the rattle near the rear camera that you hear when you lightly tap the device. I'm beginning to think it may be a CDMA version problem since every Verizon iPhone 5 I've had in my hands (5 different units) all had this rattle and were all VZ (including a display model in the VZ store); I haven't gotten my hands on an AT&T iPhone 5 yet. I feel like more people having iPhones on AT&T, and them possibly not experiencing this rattle could be the reason more hasn't been made of it. I just would find it hard to believe that only the 5 I've touched rattle. It just makes it sound a little cheap, or not solid like my iPhone 4 sounds/feels, even though its prob just a ribbon or something rattling against the back case. I'd really like to at least know what's causing it, but everything works beautifully and I still love it (ESP with unlimited VZ LTE!)

If you want to see if yours does it, hold your new iPhone 5 face-up with one hand and lightly tap on the back, right near the camera. I can almost guarantee it will rattle if it's CDMA (particularly Verizon), and I'd love some feedback as to whether AT&T iPhone 5's are doing this or not. Before anyone says it, yes, I held the buttons solid to be sure it wasn't the them!

That's not just the Verizon iPhone 5 lol my AT&T 4s has always done it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How about they address the yellow screen issue!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loso86 View Post
    How about they address the yellow screen issue!
    I don't think that's an issue. It's just wet glue that causes that, is it not?. It dries.