+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: StifleStand Now Available for Windows Users

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Earlier, ModMyi showed you a tool that could be used to hide Newsstand from view on your home screen whether you were jailbroken or not. The tool was called StifleStand
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default StifleStand Now Available for Windows Users

Earlier, ModMyi showed you a tool that could be used to hide Newsstand from view on your home screen whether you were jailbroken or not. The tool was called StifleStand by iOS developer Filippo Bigarella and it would place Newsstand in a folder where it would become invisible from the home screen until you open the folder. You could put other applications in folder or name the folder anything you want despite the default name of “Magic.”

iOS hacker @ih8sn0w just recently retweeted a Tweet by @SwissHttp that StifleStand has been released for Windows, which uses code from Filippo Bigarella and comex.

To use the tool, download StifleStand for Windows, right click the file and run it as an administrator, and then plug your iOS device in. As shown above, the tool will recognize your iOS device and the button for hiding Newsstand will become clickable. Go ahead and click the Hide Newsstand button.

A couple of seconds later, StifleStand should say, “Hiding Newsstand Succeeded!” If you get this message, then Newsstand should now be in a folder on your iOS device’s home screen called Magic. If you get any errors, simply try the process again by unplugging, then plugging in again your device and re-launching StifleStand.

If you check on the home screen of your device, you will notice that the application has created a new folder on your home screen called “Magic,” which contains nothing at first sight:

You can drag any of your applications into the folder and you will notice that the first space is blank. This is because Newsstand is in the folder:

When you open the folder, you will see Newsstand hidden away inside.

If you ever want to show Newsstand again, just drag it out of the folder. If you attempt to open Newsstand while it’s in the folder, your device will crash; this is normal. You can run the application again if you ever remove Newsstand from the folder.

Sources: ih8sn0w

iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm gonna recommend this to my sister, since her phone is not jailbroken running on ios6 .. thanks for this! i dont think she even use newstand ,,, mwahahaha

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

no workie on my iphone 5

Banned
    Thanks

Doesn't work in iPad 3 IOS6.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It worked on my iPhone 4S, but I had to reset my homescreen layout to get it to work. If it doesn't work for you, just try and reset the homescreen layout.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrp192 View Post
    no workie on my iphone 5
    They may have forgotten to post this, but with the way that StifleStand works, it depends on the lockdownd service--and that has an output limitation. So, if you have more than 100 apps on the phone (check under settings, general, about), it won't work. Also, if you have a passcode, temporarily disable it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DubbaCTrumpetMSU View Post
    They may have forgotten to post this, but with the way that StifleStand works, it depends on the lockdownd service--and that has an output limitation. So, if you have more than 100 apps on the phone (check under settings, general, about), it won't work. Also, if you have a passcode, temporarily disable it.
    Nope only have 50 apps and no passcode.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder if us Linux users will see any love
    Last edited by 1pop23; 10-10-2012 at 01:03 AM.
    Devices
    iPod Touch 8gb 2nd Gen jailbroken 4.2.1
    iPhone 3GS 8gb new boot rom jailbroken 5.1.1
    iPhone 4S 16gb Stock 5.1.1

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Dag-Nabbit!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DubbaCTrumpetMSU View Post
    I tried this about 50 times on my (CDMA) iPhone 5 to no avail. I reset my homescreen layout as suggested above, tried it when I had 46 apps installed & again with a fresh restore (only stock apps), locked & unlocked and finally in jiggle (edit) mode with exactly the same results every time (and I've never used a passcode either).

The message says "Hiding newsstand succeeded!" but success has eluded me with not 1 error message. I was hoping to at least get an error message.

Too bad!

I guess I'll just have to wait patiently for the jailbreakers to work the REAL "magic," which I understand has been abundant at HITB2012KUL (via tweet from @MuscleNerd crediting @mdowd & @kernelpool with successful iOS 6 exploitation)! I love it when all these guys & gals get together. Progress everyday; patience is a virtue.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Worked fine on iPad 2 running iOS 6. I was also able to rename the folder.

Thanks

Can I put NewsStand in a different folder? Or do I have to put it the 'Magic' folder? Because that still takes up an icon space

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does not work with Windows. I'm on 5.1.1, 4S, Jailbroken.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tadashii18 View Post
    Can I put NewsStand in a different folder? Or do I have to put it the 'Magic' folder? Because that still takes up an icon space
    You could just move the applications from one folder into your Newsstand folder and then rename the Newsstand folder from Magic to something else.

Thanks
    I couldn't find the link for windows, so I went to friends house and used their Mac (by the way they're awesome) and he downloaded it in 2 seconds and it worked in half a second! I got it and everything on iPhone 4S on iOS 6

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have been waiting for this just for the sake of being able to respring on iOS6