+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mock Up: How the App Switcher Should Be On the iPhone 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple sure did brag a lot about applications taking full advantage of the large four-inch iPhone 5 display canvas space, but one thing that really should be re-thought now that
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mock Up: How the App Switcher Should Be On the iPhone 5

Apple sure did brag a lot about applications taking full advantage of the large four-inch iPhone 5 display canvas space, but one thing that really should be re-thought now that the screen has a taller profile is the puny multitasking App Switcher. Surely with the extra vertical real estate, Apple could have thought of a better idea than a simple row of icons?

A recent concept by The Verge has become a viral sensation today as to what the multitasking App Switcher on the iPhone 5 should look like. The concept takes full advantage of the extra vertical pixels to show previews of the applications in the App Switcher with the icon of the application overlaying the previews. Since the previews of the applications are nothing more than screenshots of the taller display, this pushes the maximum height of the App Switcher up by a considerable amount.

The concept also re-thinks the iPod controls, which are accessed from the multitasking App Switcher by simply swiping to the left. Instead of simply viewing a Music application icon, a rotation lock icon, and three button controls, the concept demonstrates that the music controls can be placed at the bottom, while integrating a volume bar right into the iPod controls without having to swipe to the left yet again. The size of the Music application icon has been reduced and to the left is the album artwork with the song information beautifully displayed in the center.

The best part of the concept is the options panel, which is where the rotation lock button is moved. The panel also includes a toggle for Wi-Fi, a toggle for Bluetooth, and a toggle for 3G. Below the toggles, we find a slider for the screen brightness. It would probably be better if the 3G toggle were for cellular data in general, as the iPhone 5 takes advantage of 4G LTE and a toggle for 3G seems dated. Apple also had the courtesy to make brightness a little easier to get to in iOS 6, but it's still a pain having to navigate through the Settings application to get to it.

To put things into perspective, below is a side-by-side comparison of the iPhone 5 concept next to the existing iPhone 4S App Switcher (compliments of The Verge):

For sure, the concept takes better advantage of the space provided not only by the taller four-inch display, but it also takes better advantage of the linen-colored real estate that the multitasking App Switcher contains. The current App Switcher feels so roomy that it feels like space is actually being wasted.

In many previous jailbreak tweaks, we have seen the multitasking App Switcher remodeled in forms of card switching and double-row switching. This concept is different because it keeps Apple’s switcher fundamentals in mind, while offering more information to the user per square pixel.

Perhaps in the future a jailbreak tweak can bring these ideas to life, but first we have to have a jailbreak for the iPhone 5. Regardless of the iPhone 5 jailbreak's progress, I'd love to have a switcher like this on my iPhone 4 as well. Do you like this App Switching concept?

Sources: The Verge via iClarified
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-09-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Do I see a jailbreak tweak emerging here?
    Devices
    iPod Touch 8gb 2nd Gen jailbroken 4.2.1
    iPhone 3GS 8gb new boot rom jailbroken 5.1.1
    iPhone 4S 16gb Stock 5.1.1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They have to jailbreak iOS 6 and make it user accessible before then can even begin talks of a iPhone 5 jailbreak tweak.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah. Would love this on my 4S...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

I like the brightness slider. Not so sure about the app preview one though...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Would love this as a tweak hpefully some devs see this too cant wait for my iphone 5 to be free

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Now, I am not a coder and jailbreakers do wonderful work, of which I am a beneficiary. I think this sort of work is high intellectual property and should NOT be given to Apple for free! We've seen some fantastic ideas from the JB community that has been incorporated by Apple in a new iOS iteration. And we have just read that Apple is patenting EVERYTHING. Why give away your ideas for free? I know as a technician I get involved in the technology and give too much away to clients for free too, but think about it, why give it to a multi-billion dollar company?
    Just a thought...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Also needs a "clear all" button.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice mock up. Hopefully a tweak will come along..........

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Now that's cool for sure!

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet idea, im just suprised this is just a concept.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They should also add the zephyr-like gestures option here. Or like on the ipad, 4 fingers, here should be like the flat thumb - not the tip (or something like that to make it a not complete copy from jb). Specially since their home button is prone on breaking.
    Can't wait for the jailbreak!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The "Dream Team" needs to get back together to JB the iPhone 5.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    The "Dream Team" needs to get back together to JB the iPhone 5.
    I didn't know Jordan and them boys were into jailbreaking.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTRagnarok View Post
    Also needs a "clear all" button.
    I agree! That would be awesome

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Exactly why I won't purchase an i5 until the jailbreak is out. Jailbreak is what makes up for all of Apple's flaws and carelessness to its customers. Still astonished all you can customize to this day is your wallpaper image on springboard, WOW Apple, really raising the bar. Custom themes is where it's at. Looking at a screen full of app icons and folders is so iOS 1, come on now.

Thanks

I've got a question: why does the switcher take up less than THE ENTIRE SCREEN? Why do you need to see any portion of your currently-open application if you are doing other things in the switcher?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

I agree with everything but the mini screen previews. I like Seeing the icon cause its easily identifiable

Banned
    Thanks

Dont people realise Apple dont care about you or what you want the iPhone to do. They want you to be a clone of them and to like it the way they make it and they dont want anyone to change it at all.
    They want to be bland and ugly without color without anything that makes it stand out.
    If its functional and the "way it should be" then they will change it so its not that way and boring.

The only way to get it the "way it should be" and better is to jailbreak it and install a tweak from Cydia.

Now I know why they call it "jailbreak" as the standard Apple device is bland and very limited like a jail uniform and being in jail. Nothing interesting about being in jail. extremely limited and boring. You end up going insane unless you jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by wukillabee View Post
    Exactly why I won't purchase an i5 until the jailbreak is out. Jailbreak is what makes up for all of Apple's flaws and carelessness to its customers. Still astonished all you can customize to this day is your wallpaper image on springboard, WOW Apple, really raising the bar. Custom themes is where it's at. Looking at a screen full of app icons and folders is so iOS 1, come on now.
    Thats what I just said. Go have a look at what the Android can do. Mine has a video playing as the background and NO its not jumpy or laggy at all.
    There is no way Apple will ever let their iPhones do that as its not boring. Apple have to keep it to their gray boring standard.
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 10-09-2012 at 08:44 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Thanks

this is awesome... is this jailbreak tweak