+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Hide Newsstand From the Home Screen With 'StifleStand'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Many of us hate the Newsstand application because we simply don’t have a use for it. Albeit we dislike it, it doesn’t appear to be going anywhere. If you want
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How to Hide Newsstand From the Home Screen With 'Stiflestand'

Many of us hate the Newsstand application because we simply don’t have a use for it. Albeit we dislike it, it doesn’t appear to be going anywhere. If you want to hide the icon from your home screen, iOS developer Filippo Bigarella has released a free tool for Mac OS X called Stiflestand that allows you to hide the Newsstand application from your home screen with the click of a button.

As shown above, the application will detect when you have connected your iOS device. In this case, our iPod touch was recognized. If you used an iPhone, it would say iPhone and if you used an iPad, it would say iPad. This application will work with any iOS 5 or newer device that has Newsstand on the home screen and you don’t even have to be jailbroken for it to work!

Once you connect your device, you can click on the “Hide Newsstand” button for the application to work its magic. Once you finish, the application will say, “Done” as it does in the screenshot below:

Newsstand is now hidden from the home screen on your iOS device. If you check on the home screen of your device, you will notice that the application has created a new folder on your home screen called “Magic,” which contains nothing at first sight:

You can drag any of your applications into the folder and you will notice that the first space is blank. This is because Newsstand is in the folder:

When you open the folder, you will see Newsstand hidden away inside.

You can reverse what the application has done at any time you want to by simply dragging the Newsstand application out of the folder and back onto your home screen. When you do this, you can also remove any application icons you added to the Magic folder and the folder will disappear.

It’s important to note that you cannot launch the Newsstand application while it is located within the folder because it will just crash. Newsstand was never meant to be placed in a folder (since it uses its own folder view when you open it), so it doesn’t know how to open in that environment. As soon as you drag it back to the home screen, you can launch it normally again.

Stiflestand isn’t exactly the “perfect” remedy for getting rid of Newsstand, but at least it gets the icon out of our way on the home screen so we can hide it in a folder were we place most of our other hardly-used applications. There are jailbreak tweaks that can hide the Newsstand application outright, but Stiflestand's highlight is that it works on non-jailbroken devices as well as jailbroken devices. Try it out; you can download Stiflestand from this link. (Sorry Windows users, there is no Stiflestand for you at this point in time.)

UPDATE: If you're a windows user, you can now use StifleStand. Check out our post!

UPDATE 2: Filippo Bigarella has released StilfeStand version 1.0.2 with better error handling. The Windows version is also now available from Filippo's Web site.

UPDATE 3: If you're still having problems getting StifleStand to work, Filippo has Tweeted StifleStand 1.0.3, which should work. You can try it from this link.

Sources: Filippo Bigarella

Thanks for the tip thazsar!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-10-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Add information about version 1.0.3

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No news is good news... Its been out since newstand was introed.

Edit, no need for JB, I see.

Thanks

Default Jailbreak Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by jber View Post
    No news is good news... Its been out since newstand was introed.
    Well remember, that requires a jailbroken device. StifleStand doesn't require a jailbroken device. It even works on the iPhone 5.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

But then it crashes the phone when you do try to use News Stand. Or is it just me, how to undo it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    But then it crashes the phone when you do try to use News Stand. Or is it just me, how to undo it?
    Yes, we mentioned that above. You cannot open Newsstand while it is in a folder because it technically is a folder. Folders are not instructed on what to do when launched from a folder because iOS doesn't allow folders to open inside of folders, so your device is panicking and doesn't know what to do. This is what causes the crash.

You can simply drag Newsstand out of the folder to undo the tweak and if you ever want to hide Newsstand again, you can run the application again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

No prob!

I'm just glad I can hide it, now, since I sold my ip4S and use my ip5 exclusively!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Yes, we mentioned that above. You cannot open Newsstand while it is in a folder because it technically is a folder. Folders are not instructed on what to do when launched from a folder because iOS doesn't allow folders to open inside of folders, so your device is panicking and doesn't know what to do. This is what causes the crash.

You can simply drag Newsstand out of the folder to undo the tweak and if you ever want to hide Newsstand again, you can run the application again.
    My bad!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Should do the folder glitch with mewsstand where you can hide it, I did that when they was no jailbreak for 4s last year

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    Should do the folder glitch with mewsstand where you can hide it, I did that when they was no jailbreak for 4s last year
    Elaborate, please! I didn't hear about that one!

Thanks

This application basically exploits that bug without you having to.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Elaborate, please! I didn't hear about that one!
    Google "hide newsstand glitch" or go on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qTQ...e_gdata_player

Thanks

This application basically exploits that bug without you having to.
    How did I not here about this!?!?! Maybe I was drunk that day...

Google "hide newsstand glitch" or go on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qTQ...e_gdata_player
    I'll take a look! Thanx!

Chicka Chicka Yeaaaaa!
    Last edited by thazsar; 10-09-2012 at 02:17 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

On Mountain Lion, have iTunes 10.7 and iPhone 5. Does not work. Not sure why, but I have tried rebooting, having iTunes open & closed, moving Newsstand to the main screen...

Ideas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
    On Mountain Lion, have iTunes 10.7 and iPhone 5. Does not work. Not sure why, but I have tried rebooting, having iTunes open & closed, moving Newsstand to the main screen...

Ideas?
    Is StifleStand recognizing your device?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It doesn't work for me either!

Ideas?

Thanks

Ideas?
    I have the same specs on my iMac and ran across this problem, too. I closed the StifleStand program and unplugged my ip5. Reopened StifleStand and replugged phone and it worked again!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is StifleStand recognizing your device?

Yes, I click hide, nothing happens. When I restart the application, it says Hide Newsstand again.

Thanks

Everybody...
    Remember this is a program that needs to be downloaded. The website page 'appears' to show you the program but it has a download link beneath the picture.

...just in case you made the same mistake I did (cuz I'm dumb)!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xfibre View Post
    Yes, I click hide, nothing happens. When I restart the application, it says Hide Newsstand again.
    Try unplugging the iPhone and plugging it back in.

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet, the Newsstand now works as a respring tool!