Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple, Samsung, and Google Spent More on Patents and Lawsuits Than R&D Last Year

Default Apple, Samsung, and Google Spent More on Patents and Lawsuits Than R&D Last Year

Apple and Google spent more on patent lawsuits and patent acquisitions last year than research and development.

This sheer amount of money each company has wasted in courtrooms across the world is staggering. The gem of information detailing just how much each company is spending was more an afterthought in a larger New York Times piece detailing problems with the current U.S. patent system.

"Last year, for the first time, spending by Apple and Google on patent lawsuits and unusually big-dollar patent purchases exceeded spending on research and development of new products, according to public filings." — The New York Times
    And according to an unnamed Google employee it appears Apple enjoys the never-ending courtroom battles.

But Apple has been hard to pin down, said one person from Google who was not authorized to speak publicly. "Sometimes they're asking for money. Then they say we have to promise to not copy aspects of the iPhone. And whenever we get close to an agreement, it all changes again.

"Our feeling is they don't really want this to end. As long as everyone is distracted by these trials, the iPhone continues to sell." — NYT
    Apple’s massive cash reserves allow the company to spend an incredible amount of money in both the legal and R&D worlds. However, Apple spent $3 billion last year R&D and is on schedule to spend under $4 billion this year, which is less than nearly every other major tech company. But, Apple’s strategy of buying IP rather than developing it, has allowed the company to introduce features in far less time than similar offerings from other companies (Siri, and Apple Maps, even if it is currently lackluster).

Apple’s patent strategy is equally relentless. Apple literally spams the patent office with patent submissions until the underfunded and overworked patent office finally caves in and grants Apple the patent. Siri is the perfect example, as Apple re-submitted its Siri patent eight times before the patent office granted Apple the patent.

The current state of patent law, and the tech industry have created a dangerous environment in which courtrooms dictate the future of companies instead of research and development.

Source: NYT [via Gizmodo]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 10-09-2012 at 12:21 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

what would happen if they all worked together.. lol. As if.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    what would happen if they all worked together.. lol. As if.
    Just like the matrix. Humanity would reject it as an impossibility and implode

I want to be a LAWYER!

All this patents are reinforcements probably for a future war against android.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ferris419's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bisayakid07 View Post
    I want to be a LAWYER!
    +1

Banned
    Thanks

THATS why we are getting crap iPhones. If they did more for their actual devices then they would have the number one phone everyone would want, instead they sue everyone and release a crap device.

I've been telling everyone Apple don't do business the right way and this just proves it.

I think the courts should order Apple to stop sueing and start making a better device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ferris419's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    THATS why we are getting crap iPhones. If they did more for their actual devices then they would have the number one phone everyone would want, instead they sue everyone and release a crap device.

I've been telling everyone Apple don't do business the right way and this just proves it.

I think the courts should order Apple to stop sueing and start making a better device.
    apple does have the best device.... Could they make it better..... maybe? Crap device? I don't agree .... Do they do business the right way? Maybe? Does any BIG business do business the right way? Maybe? ask yourself these questions and if your not happy with the answers then choose a different brand ..... I hate Walmart and the way they do business so guess what I don't contribute to their nonsense but you don't see me complaining about it on a forum ....

Didn't you read the article? Google is at fault here too. They spent more on patients than they did on R&D just like Apple.

I hate the iPhone 5 (iOS 6 specifically)! No Youtube and a cheap looking version of google maps.... SMH.... come on apple

Sad state of affairs for all involved when R&D is second to $$ spent on the legal wrangling. We all lose in this stupid warfare. IMHO, there is fine line with this tech between theft and innovation to improve the consumer experience. Nobody want to see intellectual property theft but let's keeping looking forward not sideways or back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffy559 View Post
    I hate the iPhone 5 (iOS 6 specifically)! No Youtube and a cheap looking version of google maps.... SMH.... come on apple
    Omg no YouTube. How will we ever survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Omg no YouTube. How will we ever survive.
    HaHa. Forgot it was gone.

Both of which were being restricted by google, especially maps. Apple didn't exactly have much of a choice in ditching them. Apple may not of done the best job but google tried to hold a gun to apples head and apple said F off. Just like other companies did, such as four square. Do your homework.

I think in 6 mo Maps.app will be much better as they get kinks worked out. In my area it works well and the turn-by-turn isquite good with reminders when to turn.
    Some street names were not perfect, routing seem good. Re-routing was fast as well. The map images were good also.
    The product needs work for sure but its new. I bet at the iPad Mini even, they will have an update.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

You still here faerie? LMFAO! How bad would an iPhone have to be for you to go away and buy a new Android?

When other companies copy your successful designes as all others have done to Apple, they need to defend themselves. If others would come up with their own ideas Apple could get back to designing without worry that they are doing it for all the other companies to copy.
    Last edited by luvmytj; 10-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

It makes sense. Where's the incentive to spend on r&d when someone will just steal the ideas and sell cheaper crappier versions that the generally ignorant public will buy instead?

always impressed on how retarded your comments are.. keep them coming , never fail to make me laugh.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,355 Posts

You do realize the iPhone 5 is the fastest device on the market DESPITE having lower specs than a lot of Android devices...

I guess it's not that crappy...

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    I think in 6 mo Maps.app will be much better as they get kinks worked out. In my area it works well and the turn-by-turn isquite good with reminders when to turn.
    Some street names were not perfect, routing seem good. Re-routing was fast as well. The map images were good also.
    The product needs work for sure but its new. I bet at the iPad Mini even, they will have an update.
    Agreed same here. It works perfect in my area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast