+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Starts Shipping Their Lightning to 30-Pin Connector Adapter

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
With the announcement of the iPhone 5, Apple made sure to say that they would not have been able to fit all of this new technology into the iPhone 5
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Starts Shipping Their Lightning to 30-Pin Connector Adapter

With the announcement of the iPhone 5, Apple made sure to say that they would not have been able to fit all of this new technology into the iPhone 5 without the new Lightning Connector, since the Lightning Connector uses much less internal space in the device. Although the transition to the new connector has some people angered that their accessories will no longer work with the new Lightning Connector, Apple's new Lightning to 30-pin adapter will change that for most scenarios.

If you have placed an order for Apple’s new Lightning connector to 30-pin connector adapter, then keep your eyes peeled and watch your order status because Apple appears to be starting to ship them. People in Australia that ordered the adapter are beginning to get shipment e-mails with the estimated delivery date being October 9th (tomorrow) according to a report by MacRumors. This would also hint that shipping times are right around the corner for the rest of us.

The adapter will allow people to use their newer Lightning connector-enabled devices such as the iPhone 5 or iPod touch 5G with accessories that only support the larger and incompatible 30-pin connector. You can order the adapter alone for $29 from Apple's Web site today, or the adapter with a short cable for $39. Apple will not be supplying an adapter in the box of the new iOS devices. The two variations of the adapter will help some users where accessories may be a tight fit with the original adapter.

If you ordered one, has your order shipped yet?

Sources: MacRumors
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-08-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I Will get a rip off version for a quarter of the price.... Once they get more iPhones in stock so I can buy one 😄

iPhone? More like MyPhone jabij1's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the longer adapter on order, yet to be shipped.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigray View Post
    I Will get a rip off version for a quarter of the price.... Once they get more iPhones in stock so I can buy one 
    Goodluck with that - Amazon has cancelled all orders on their "rip off version" because off failed attempts to get the proprietary chip inside the charger to function. Apple so far as this locked down... i'm curious on this will impact the major manufactures like Bose, Brookstone?

I wonder if all these 3rd party manufacturers are going to start just going down the bluetooth route as the dock does not matter in that case.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    I wonder if all these 3rd party manufacturers are going to start just going down the bluetooth route as the dock does not matter in that case.
    Doubtful because then the manufacturers wouldn't be able to offer charging capabilities, unless they just tell you plug it in with the OEM charging cable while connected to the accessory via bluetooth.

Thanks

I find it strange that this wasn't available on the release day of the newest iPhone... Seems like a silly thing to do not to include or make available something so essential... We all have so many chargers rigged up at home, in cars and at work... And then you have every lil stereo with a dock at work and home... I'm not complaining at the change of the connector, things change... Just baffled as to why apple would make people wait for this instead of just rolling it out right off the bat... Oh well, Im waiting a few months to get the 5 anyways... Gotta let production calm down so quality control isn't freakin out and overwhelmed with keeping up at Foxconn... Maybe I'll get one without scratches, excess visible glue, light leakage, purple haze camera lens etc. 😜

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

I have 2 of the usb to lightning cables on order from Amazon (Abesco & Co) and i emailed them to make sure they will work with the iphone 5. I am not an employee of Abesco or associated with it other than being a customer.

Their response was "We would not ship you an item that does not do what is says, that is false advertising and we do not operate that way. We are aware about the chip and our cables our guaranteed to work 100% perfect according to our engineers. If you choose not to wait, we will have no issue cancelling your order. Thank you".

Pricing was $4.99 each with $9.99 shipping cost and expected delivery is between Nov 2 and November 20.
    I am aware that Apple is saying shipping is 1-2 weeks but that is a guess also and Apple charges $19.99 for each cable plus shipping and tax.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Instead of paying $30 for one of these adapters I just got an extra lightning cable for $20 which shipped before my iP5 did.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

This adapter should have shipped with the phone for FREE. Duh!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    This adapter should have shipped with the phone for FREE. Duh!
    Never heard of Apple giving away adapters for free.

Also the target audience of people that actually need it is blown way out of proportion. I think most people buying the iPhone 5 are not going to want to use an adapter, but rather wait for new products to come out supporting the new connector.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Each day i log onto this site hoping for good news but always disappointed. Still using my iphone 4 on 5.1.1 flawlessly jailbroken and all but was really looking to upgrade to the i5. Seems though as usual Apple pushed this new phone out wayyyy too early, maybe even 3-4 months too early. Who sells a phone before there is even a car charge available, docking station, even a freakin adapter? Who in their right mind want's a lightening cable/charger anyways when the future is bluetooth wireless charging? Oh that's right, Apple wants more customer money which is why they are the only ones with lightening ports. By the time Apple gets their ish together the iphone 5s will be out, lol. Example, charging cables, car adapters, etc. Just don't understand how any company can put out a device with zero accessories ready to use? Last ditch effort for those stockholders for 2012 obviously. Still patiently waiting but by then who knows what device will be better by then?

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    I have 2 of the usb to lightning cables on order from Amazon (Abesco & Co) and i emailed them to make sure they will work with the iphone 5. I am not an employee of Abesco or associated with it other than being a customer.

Their response was "We would not ship you an item that does not do what is says, that is false advertising and we do not operate that way. We are aware about the chip and our cables our guaranteed to work 100% perfect according to our engineers. If you choose not to wait, we will have no issue cancelling your order. Thank you".

Pricing was $4.99 each with $9.99 shipping cost and expected delivery is between Nov 2 and November 20.
    I am aware that Apple is saying shipping is 1-2 weeks but that is a guess also and Apple charges $19.99 for each cable plus shipping and tax.
    If you don't mind, shoot me a message message and let me know how that works out for you. $30 for just an adapter and not even a full charger is literally a joke. Adapt me x4 as my wife and I have been using iphones since the 3gs and now to upgrade to the i5 need adapters for our chargers since Apple doesn't even sell a lightning car charger yet. What a joke
    Last edited by wukillabee; 10-08-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wukillabee View Post
    Each day i log onto this site hoping for good news but always disappointed. Still using my iphone 4 on 5.1.1 flawlessly jailbroken and all but was really looking to upgrade to the i5. Seems though as usual Apple pushed this new phone out wayyyy too early, maybe even 3-4 months too early. Who sells a phone before there is even a car charge available, docking station, even a freakin adapter? Who in their right mind want's a lightening cable/charger anyways when the future is bluetooth wireless charging? Oh that's right, Apple wants more customer money which is why they are the only ones with lightening ports. By the time Apple gets their ish together the iphone 5s will be out, lol. Example, charging cables, car adapters, etc. Just don't understand how any company can put out a device with zero accessories ready to use? Last ditch effort for those stockholders for 2012 obviously. Still patiently waiting but by then who knows what device will be better by then?
    You can still use a ton of car chargers with the iPhone 5. Many car chargers are nothing more than 12 volt plugs with a USB port on the other end. Is the new Lightning connector not still USB? You can invest in one of these chargers for less than $5 at your local Wal-mart.

Since the beginning of time... products come out before accessories for the product come out. This should be considered a law of marketing. Since when has an accessory been made available for a product before the product has even come out? It is a gamble and a risk that could be a waste of time, resources, and money for companies, as there is no sure way to guarantee compatibility until the product has actually launched to test it with.

Wireless charging, as you said, is in the future. It's not here yet. Apple has made patents signaling that they are working on it, but it's just not here yet.

Another thing that is important to look at is how the transition to another adapter will force people to go out and buy new accessories. This is great for the economy, as it stimulates consumer spending. Perhaps the government sealed some sort of deal with Apple, being that their devices are so popular that they fly off the shelves before they're even on the shelves? You never know.

Everything is up for speculation, but we know from the Keynote that Apple had legitimate reasons for changing their connector. I honestly don't see the big deal, since they provide you with the cable for the new port. The iPhone 5 is also Bluetooth compatible, so if you simply invest in a Bluetooth accessory instead of a wired accessory (this is the future, as you said), then you would have no problems using it with the iPhone 5 or any other Apple device that supports Bluetooth for that matter.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

But as Samsung point out in their commercials, Apple do make the coolest adapters. I can't wait to get mine. I'm going to post the un-boxing video on YouTube.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wukillabee View Post

If you don't mind, shoot me a message message and let me know how that works out for you. $30 for just an adapter and not even a full charger is literally a joke. Adapt me x4 as my wife and I have been using iphones since the 3gs and now to upgrade to the i5 need adapters for our chargers since Apple doesn't even sell a lightning car charger yet. What a joke
    There are numerous car chargers available with dual USB ports. Get a couple extra cables (40.00 + tax). Probably a little high compared to the average charger.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    You can still use a ton of car chargers with the iPhone 5. Many car chargers are nothing more than 12 volt plugs with a USB port on the other end. Is the new Lightning connector not still USB? You can invest in one of these chargers for less than $5 at your local Wal-mart.

Since the beginning of time... products come out before accessories for the product come out. This should be considered a law of marketing. Since when has an accessory been made available for a product before the product has even come out? It is a gamble and a risk that could be a waste of time, resources, and money for companies, as there is no sure way to guarantee compatibility until the product has actually launched to test it with.

Wireless charging, as you said, is in the future. It's not here yet. Apple has made patents signaling that they are working on it, but it's just not here yet.

Another thing that is important to look at is how the transition to another adapter will force people to go out and buy new accessories. This is great for the economy, as it stimulates consumer spending. Perhaps the government sealed some sort of deal with Apple, being that their devices are so popular that they fly off the shelves before they're even on the shelves? You never know.

Everything is up for speculation, but we know from the Keynote that Apple had legitimate reasons for changing their connector. I honestly don't see the big deal, since they provide you with the cable for the new port. The iPhone 5 is also Bluetooth compatible, so if you simply invest in a Bluetooth accessory instead of a wired accessory (this is the future, as you said), then you would have no problems using it with the iPhone 5 or any other Apple device that supports Bluetooth for that matter.

Very true, thank you for your prospective on this and your detailed response. Didn't even think of that. Wife doesn't really use any jailbreak anything so looking to get her the phone asap as she's still on a 3gs device. I'm still very happy with my jailbroken i4 so patiently waiting for any kind of i5 jailbreak, tethered is just fine as i never turn my device fully off or ever kill the battery. Thanks again for your detailed response.

Thanks

Its a pretty easy fix for 3rd party companies......make whatever device you want, just add a usb jack and let the consumer use their iphone 5 cord to bridge the gap.
    Apple will make even more money from people buying extra cords.

Thanks

After reading this, I ordered one😊

iPhone? More like MyPhone VaderForce's Avatar
    Thanks

Today (Australian time) I got the Lightning to USB cable

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apple Starts Shipping Their Lightning to 30-Pin Connector Adapter-img_0177.jpg   Apple Starts Shipping Their Lightning to 30-Pin Connector Adapter-img_0178.jpg  
    Last edited by VaderForce; 10-09-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    =Is the quality of your life, the outcome of your own thoughts?=

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just ordered extra cables, got them last week. Have one at work, home, and now truck. I feel if you use the adapter on a dock it would be flimsy, and break.