Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Support Document About iPhone 5 Camera's 'Purple Haze'

Default Apple Releases Support Document About iPhone 5 Camera's 'Purple Haze'

Complaints have been flying around the Internet since the release of the iPhone 5 about the camera having a “purple haze” when pointed near an extremely bright light source, such as the sun or a light bulb. Apple has just released a statement about the issue, stating that users should point their cameras at just a slightly different angle when the purple haze effect occurs:

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Symptoms

A purplish or other colored flare, haze, or spot is imaged from out-of-scene bright light sources during still image or video capture.

Resolution

Most small cameras, including those in every generation of iPhone, may exhibit some form of flare at the edge of the frame when capturing an image with out-of-scene light sources. This can happen when a light source is positioned at an angle (usually just outside the field of view) so that it causes a reflection off the surfaces inside the camera module and onto the camera sensor. Moving the camera slightly to change the position at which the bright light is entering the lens, or shielding the lens with your hand, should minimize or eliminate the effect.
    The issue appears to be a reaction from the bright light reflecting off of internal camera surfaces and eventually the sensor inside of the digital camera. Apple also attempts to say that every generation iPhone has this problem, although fails to cite it as a problem; rather, as a normality. We know from comparisons, such as the one below by Mashable, that the iPhone 4S does not appear to have the same purple haze problem as the iPhone 5:

For now, Apple doesn’t appear to be making any hints that they will be providing some sort of fix for the problem. From a merely speculative point of view, any attempt to fix the problem could possibly be part of a future software update that uses algorithms to help reduce the purple hue in the photograph as it is saved to the Camera Roll.

If you are experiencing the purple haze on your new iPhone 5, then we would recommend taking Apple’s advice and taking the picture without a bright light source being just on the frame of the photograph. The purple haze does not appear to show up in photographs where a light source is not in direct view of the camera.

Sources: Apple via AppleInsider
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.

You're holding it wrong.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to joshlogic For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-07-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshlogic View Post
    You're holding it wrong.
    Naw, now it's "your pointing it wrong".
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Purplegate

The thing is all you do have to do is change the angle slightly this happens to all cameras and phones. if you have any light at the right angle the light will bounce and refract creating lighting like this. So please dont just hate on apple when all lenses do this. Companies like nikon canon etc. have patented designs to help keep this out of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    The thing is all you do have to do is change the angle slightly this happens to all cameras and phones. if you have any light at the right angle the light will bounce and refract creating lighting like this. So please dont just hate on apple when all lenses do this. Companies like nikon canon etc. have patented designs to help keep this out of the picture.
    No, they don't. Did you see the side by side panel above?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to joshlogic For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-07-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

My iPhone 5 doesn't have this issue.
    This sounds like Tim's Antenna-Gate, can't believe they've done another "you're holding it wrong"! I've never seen a camera produce this purple haze, my old Sony Cybershot didn't and neither does my Canon.

I haven't had this issue with my iPhone 5.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe we'll get free photography lessons via an app!

I haven't had this problem, and I've taken about 100 pictures outdoors in the sun.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The fact that not all iPhone owners are effected should be proof enough to Apple that its a defect with some of their devices.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-07-2012)

This is getting funny...and a bit out of hand heres our revolutionary problematic iphone 5

Quote Originally Posted by curly420 View Post
    I haven't had this issue with my iPhone 5.
    The purple haze is caused by the new Sapphire Crystal Lens. The coloration in indicative of this material.

You probably can resolve by angling differently, but the cause is not the user or the angle, its the new camera lens.

These issues are a result of Apple's limited testing before release. They are just too secret and the phones dont get put through proper testing.

I am not interested in being Apples Beta testing. I want to buy finished and tested products.
    Last edited by ZipZapp; 10-07-2012 at 03:45 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone slap690's Avatar
    Thanks

Instagram integration!

OH, Lord. I swear its always something. A small number of people have a issue and it gets blown out to astronomical proportion. I have no issues with my iPhone 5 I just went outside and took 10 shots in the sun no purple haze....

Quote Originally Posted by joshlogic View Post
    No, they don't. Did you see the side by side panel above?
    Yeah they look like different photos with the sun at different spots, so that equals different angle.

Holy cow. All of this just because a bunch of you are to lazy to lower your phone a quarter of an inch to stop it from happening. I have had many cameras do this I can even get my 4s to do the same thing those side by side pictures prove nothing besides that they didn't move the other 2 cameras around enough to find the purple haze effect. Quit complaining and learn to take better pictures.

Banned
    Thanks

Again this is Apple saying its your fault they release a faulty product.
    Isn't this the 3rd reply from within the IOS6 and iPhone5 that Apple just said something stupid like that?

So they release something faulty and thats the best they can come up with? How about "We messed up, we will replace the camera in the next iPhone model."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to NakedFaerie For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-07-2012)

comparing a phone to a stand alone camera seems a bit stupid in my opinion. why doesn't my cooler keep my beer cold for 2 weeks like my refrigerator?

complain complain complain! Again apple did not force you to buy this product. You are the one who bought this product at launch and did not wait to see if there would be any bugs like ALL APPLE LAUNCHES seem to have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast