+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Import Media to Media Applications With 'Music2iPod'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Import Media to Media Applications With 'Music2iPod'

Last month, ModMyi showed you an application from Cydia, called Bridge ($1.99), which could be used to import media files to Apple's own media applications such as Music, Videos, and Podcasts. Normally, this function can only be carried out by iTunes, which is a major inconvenience for anyone that hates using the application because of its slowness. The advantage of using an on-device application to import media to the applications includes having the freedom of not using iTunes and also, being able to import music even when on the fly when you can't get close to your computer's iTunes library.

Attempting to compete with the paid Bridge application is a new free application called Music2iPod by Arpad Goretity (H2CO3). The application can be used to import media directly into Apple’s media applications.

When you launch Music2iPod, you will be greeted by the loading screen (shown above) and then an interface showing you your iOS device’s file system will appear. From this interface, you can tap on any media file that you have SSHed into the device, transferred there over a USB application like iExplorer, or downloaded with Safari Download Manager.

When you tap on a media file, such as a .mp3 file, you will be asked to enter the metadata for the file. Some of it will be pre-entered for you, such as the name of the song, but you will have to add information such as the author, album, genre, and release year. Music2iPod will request the same information for video files and for podcast files. When you input all the information you want to, tap on the Done button and you will get a confirmation message saying, "File Added. The item has been successfully imported to the media library."

After getting the confirmation message, you can close Music2iPod and go to the media application you imported the file to (Music for the instance of this .mp3 file) and you will find the file you just imported. You can play it just as if you had imported it with iTunes. You can use the iOS 5 feature of swiping to reveal a delete button for these songs if you ever want to remove a song that you import with Music2iPod.

Unlike Bridge, Music2iPod will not fetch music files from specific links. It can only import music that you have in your file system. There are multiple ways to move files to your file system, one of my favorite ways being a combination of iFile and Dropbox (you can just copy and paste form one to the other).

Being that Music2iPod is free, it's the way to go if you've been looking for a free way to import your media files to the media library without iTunes. Give it a try!

Music2iPod works on the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

Name: Music2iPod
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Arpad Goretity (H2CO3)
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

I know with Bridge you said it did nothing when you synced, but is that the case with this app too? I'm referring to when you end up eventually syncing with your iTunes library... Will it delete the content imported using this app, transfer it, or leave it be?
    Last edited by HovikGas; 10-07-2012 at 12:06 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone know if in any of these you can take the music you import of your iPhone using pwntunes? Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    I know with Bridge you said it did nothing when you synced, but is that the case with this app too? I'm referring to when you end up eventually syncing with your iTunes library... Will it delete the content imported using this app, transfer it, or leave it be?
    I just performed a test for you. I imported a song and attempted to sync my iPod. The song was not erased from my iPod's Music application, however it was not transferred to iTunes either.

Thanks

To the developer: is it possible to add that feature; I.e, sync with iTunes library?
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    been waiting for this to be capable for a long time now. perfect!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anthony, does it import the .mp3 'as is', or does it create a new duplicate file? - at possibly lower bitrate than the original..

Previously known as weedsmart
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IB_Marc View Post
    Does anyone know if in any of these you can take the music you import of your iPhone using pwntunes? Thanks
    if ur asking how to remove songs from pwntunes, simply remove it from the folder and sync

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djmelee View Post
    Anthony, does it import the .mp3 'as is', or does it create a new duplicate file? - at possibly lower bitrate than the original..
    That would be a question for the developer .

EDIT: From my experience, I cannot tell a difference in quality between the original file and the imported file and I'm quite the audiophile.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-07-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does this only work with mp3 files or will this feature work to import ring and text tones as well (m4r)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcon1208 View Post
    Does this only work with mp3 files or will this feature work to import ring and text tones as well (m4r)?
    I'm not sure if it works with ringtones and text tones, but I do know that it works with most music files and not just mp3 files.

It's free, why not try it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I'm not sure if it works with ringtones and text tones, but I do know that it works with most music files and not just mp3 files.

It's free, why not try it?
    Currently running an iPhone 4s on iOS 6. Non JB of course ... but I've always hated iTunes. This is something that could get me to downgrade to iOS 5.1.1 just to jailbreak for now. While we wait for the inevitable iOS 6 JB that is.
    Bcon

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amadomon View Post
    To the developer: is it possible to add that feature; I.e, sync with iTunes library?
    +1. That would be really useful!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djmelee View Post
    No dupes. That would be wasting processor time unnecessarily :-)

As for all feature requests: I know about all these, please don't repeat them over and over. Features not yet present in the app reflect that I couldn't yet figure out how to add them and not that I'm not willing to add them. All of these are being worked on currently.
    h2co3@h2co3-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install windows
    ERROR: APT won't install Windows on your PC,
    because it potentially damages and freezes
    your system. Please contact Miscrosoft
    and ask them to fix the bugs in Windows.
    h2co3@h2co3-laptop:~$_

Cydia developer
    iPhone 3G black, iOS 4.2.1 + JB

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I just performed a test for you. I imported a song and attempted to sync my iPod. The song was not erased from my iPod's Music application, however it was not transferred to iTunes either.
    Thanks Anthony! Always appreciate your help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if i will install this will it delete my already having media ???????????

if i m having previous synced songs nd i will install music2ipod then will my previous songs will there or will get deleted
    Last edited by pjv151; 11-25-2012 at 10:48 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there a feature on this app now, or being planned for the future to add a whole album instead of individual songs? That ruined Bridge for me having to add each song individually

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How do I delete a song from the library if I cant swipe delete it?