+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Launches Street View Web App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Today, Google has launched a Web App of their Street View from Google Maps. It can be used on mobile devices such as the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Google's
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google Launches Street View Web App

Today, Google has launched a Web App of their Street View from Google Maps. It can be used on mobile devices such as the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Google's Street View Web App works on iOS 5 and iOS 6 from the Mobile Safari and Google Chrome Web browsers, helping to pick up the slack of Apple’s new iOS 6 Maps application, which has a terrible public image at this point in time.

To use the Google Street View Web App, just go to Google Maps from either Mobile Safari or Google Chrome on your iOS device and search for a location. Once the map loads up the location, you will see a new button (circled in red above) that you can tap to launch Street View of the location. Street View doesn’t work everywhere, but it does work almost everywhere.

Street View opens in a different tab from Google Maps in the browser and allows you to see everything in a much more realistic view. Street View aims to show you places the way you can expect to see them if you walked down the roads of these locations. The Web App includes navigation buttons in the interface so you can move around through the street to view places nearby to the location you typed in.

In the top left, Google's Street View has a constant reminder of what the address is of the place you're looking at. When you tap on the 'X' button at the top right of the screen, the Street View tab will close and allow you to return to the Google Maps tab in your Web browser.

Everything runs pretty smooth even on the iPhone 4’s single core processor, so if you have the iPhone 4S or the newer iPhone 5, then the performance will only be superior. Google’s Street View Web App is free to use, so go and give it a try!

Sources: Google Maps via 9to5Mac

My iPhone is a Part of Me primalscream.40's Avatar
    Thanks

Why don't google just submit the maps app to apple

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by primalscream.40 View Post
    Why don't google just submit the maps app to apple
    Good question. I think Google has every intention of releasing their own application, but they are focusing on web apps first for two reasons:

1. The App Store has a long review process and App Store rules may limit what the app can do.
    2. Google has full control over their Web application and there's nothing Apple can say or do to stop what Google does on their own Web app. Many companies have made Web apps to bypass the App Store's rules in the past.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Because apple doesn't want google maps, that's why they dropped them from iOS 6 even though they still had some time left with them, apple wants their own maps...haven't you been reading/watching/listening

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smeggy1234 View Post
    Because apple doesn't want google maps, that's why they dropped them from iOS 6 even though they still had some time left with them, apple wants their own maps...haven't you been reading/watching/listening
    Apple dropped Google Maps also because Google would not license Apple with Google Maps' turn-by-turn navigation, which Apple wanted. So Apple took their own road into the unknown territory.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That is also another good point I forgot to mention. That was an important factor that apple wanted to have to keep up and google didn't want it.

But knowing apple I still believe they will come back from this set back with a good map system we can be happy with

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smeggy1234 View Post
    That is also another good point I forgot to mention. That was an important factor that apple wanted to have to keep up and google didn't want it.

But knowing apple I still believe they will come back from this set back with a good map system we can be happy with
    You can keep
    On dreaming that apple will comeup with map similar to google maps, google has been constantly enhancing google map for quite a long time now,

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Good question. I think Google has every intention of releasing their own application, but they are focusing on web apps first for two reasons:

1. The App Store has a long review process and App Store rules may limit what the app can do.
    2. Google has full control over their Web application and there's nothing Apple can say or do to stop what Google does on their own Web app. Many companies have made Web apps to bypass the App Store's rules in the past.
    Like Grooveshark

Thanks
    Thanked 8,798 Times in 4,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Apple dropped Google Maps also because Google would not license Apple with Google Maps' turn-by-turn navigation, which Apple wanted. So Apple took their own road into the unknown territory.
    I agree, Anthony, as to Google's rationale - but surely they must know that a web app will never be as zippy and clean as a native app. That's the reason why I still cling to this buggy ModMyi app over using mobile safari to access the forum. Mobile Safari is just so slow when accessing the forum.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Suck u have to go through the web browser.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Isn't this feature already in the Maps app in iOS5?? If so, why bother for the web app? Ohh i see, must be for iOS6 upgraders and iPhone 5 buyers...