+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Maps Beats Google Maps in Data-Efficiency

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple's Maps App Beats Google Maps in Data-Efficiency

Apple Maps may be leading iOS 6 users into empty parking lots, but there’s one thing it does extremely well: managing data.

That’s right, Apple's new maps app is incredibly efficient, in fact it makes Google Maps look bloated in comparison. Apple’s new maps app as much as five times less data than Google Maps. While this could be the result of each phone’s map “prowess” Onavo claims the difference is more than the punchline of a joke.

Our data experts performed an identical series of activities on Google Maps and Apple Maps that included searching for several US cities, addresses and airports and zooming in and out to locate specific locations. On Google Maps, the average data loaded from the cellular network for each step was 1.3MB. Apple Maps came in at 271KB – that's approximately 80% less data! On some actions, such as zooming in to see a particular intersection, Apple Maps' efficiency advantage edged close to 7X. — Onavo
    Apple’s advantage in efficiency is a result of Apple’s use of vector graphics in their Maps app. Apple’s maps can dynamically resize as users zoom in and out without needing to download new data. Google Maps for iOS utilizes raster graphics, which forces the app to download new maps every time the user zooms in or out.

Apple’s new Maps app isn’t great, it’s barely good. But, Apple appears to have built an incredibly data-plan friendly base with a great deal of potential.

Source: Onavo [via Gizmodo]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Wow. That makes up for all the other flaws.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'm sure Apple will improve on the flaws. A new major release of iOS's always have a bunch of bugs that are sorted out shortly. 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 will probably perform much better. Right now, besides not having an untethered JB, I'm not updating to iOS 6 bc I never usually update on the initial iOS release anyway until all the kinks are sorted out.

On topic: It's good to know the data usage is much less. It doesn't compensate for taking people to the wrong place...but I'm sure that will be fixed along with that the smaller data usage will remain beneficial to us (especially on LTE).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Um, it has half the **** google maps does. Of course it's going to be more efficient. Lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Whoever wrote this article must have forgot that with google maps, on android at least, you can download entire cities on wifi so that you do not even need any data to view them giving it the clear advantage for data usage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erod434 View Post
    Whoever wrote this article must have forgot that with google maps, on android at least, you can download entire cities on wifi so that you do not even need any data to view them giving it the clear advantage for data usage.
    Yea and that feature sucks on android... Only good in Nokia drive

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

I drove from Philadelphia to West Virginia using Apple Maps, & I had absolutely no problems or issues with its accuracy or directions... I hope it stays that way!

Banned
    Thanks

Apple’s new maps app as much as five times less data than Google Maps.
    It also has 5 times LESS details.
    Do a zoom in on both Google Maps in 5.1.1 and Apple Maps in 6.0 and you will see Google Maps is still the 'clear' winner. Apple Maps is so blurry you cant work out anything where Google Maps is so clear you can see flowers and shadows.

So bragging that its 5x less data isn't something it should be proud of as its also 5x less detail.

Livin the iPhone Life Sniper488's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually like Apple maps better than googles...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Efficiency? Definitely not accuracy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Do a zoom in on both Google Maps in 5.1.1 and Apple Maps in 6.0 and you will see Google Maps is still the 'clear' winner. Apple Maps is so blurry you cant work out anything where Google Maps is so clear you can see flowers and shadows.

So bragging that its 5x less data isn't something it should be proud of as its also 5x less detail.
    Apple uses vector maps. It's not possible for them to be blurry. I think you're mistakenly referring to satellite view, which is not what we're talking about here. As far as Apple maps having less detail shown on the screen, I personally prefer it. Apple maps dynamically add more street names as you zoom in so that you don't end up with a screen packed with street names. It's not so much that Apple uses a small amount of data as Google uses a lot more data because of their raster maps (as explained in the article).

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This article sounds like nothing more than damage control. Hypothetically speaking that's like saying a brand new 2013 Car "X" has defective valve covers, faulty hub bearings, noisy brakes, a weak clutch, and transmission issues......but gets 110mpg.
    Last edited by RICO_; 10-01-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    Apple uses vector maps. It's not possible for them to be blurry. I think you're mistakenly referring to satellite view, which is not what we're talking about here. As far as Apple maps having less detail shown on the screen, I personally prefer it. Apple maps dynamically add more street names as you zoom in so that you don't end up with a screen packed with street names. It's not so much that Apple uses a small amount of data as Google uses a lot more data because of their raster maps (as explained in the article).
    It's still the Maps app and how buggy it is. Just about every view in maps is better in Google Maps on 5.1.1
    Here are 2 screenshots taken today. Guess which is which. BTW, you can see it for yourself. Its the street Neighbors the TV show is shot in.
    Apple Maps Beats Google Maps in Data-Efficiency-img_0250.jpg Apple Maps Beats Google Maps in Data-Efficiency-img_0780.jpg
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 10-01-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would rather know which streets are one way than not know. So google wins this one.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to xzero For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-02-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Line 6, faster* not raster

Except Apple isn't making these claims, so are you saying onavo is doing damage control for apple? lolwut
    Last edited by bstunt10190; 10-01-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post

Seriously never seen someone so anti apple in this forum. For real who ******* cares??? If seeing thE shadows on a flower is more important to you the. Go get google maps lol
    Last edited by subywrex; 10-01-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Guys the fact of the matter is apple can actually update this maps app and fix it. Google maps did its job but was holding apple behind, even if apples maps didn't get a good start its still better than google maps because they can actually give it features that google maps never had because they weren't allowing apple to add features. People can't argue apple is finally getting turn by turn and also say that their maps application is worse than googles. Apples maps will be updated and foxed and still have these features. Google maps will have their limited features but no bugs. Eventually apples will surpass googles.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this web site is becoming really funny. you guys are keep writing how apple is doing well. how apple's stock is going 52 week high. now you guys are saying apple's map has something great. i think this is just funny.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    I would rather know which streets are one way than not know. So google wins this one.
    In bigger cities this is a must have visual aid. It makes directions sooooo much easier.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Guys the fact of the matter is apple can actually update this maps app and fix it. Google maps did its job but was holding apple behind, even if apples maps didn't get a good start its still better than google maps because they can actually give it features that google maps never had because they weren't allowing apple to add features. People can't argue apple is finally getting turn by turn and also say that their maps application is worse than googles. Apples maps will be updated and foxed and still have these features. Google maps will have their limited features but no bugs. Eventually apples will surpass googles.

+1000

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    In bigger cities this is a must have visual aid. It makes directions sooooo much easier.
    Really? Idk I just navigated around SF no issues. Directions give you a street name. Lmao yes apple maps Are not as detailed. But it's more than detailed enough for your visual aid!

Confused on how the attached image from a "big city" would not be more than enough detail

Last edited by subywrex; 10-01-2012 at 11:29 PM.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)