+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Maps Beats Google Maps in Data-Efficiency

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
looks cool.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

looks cool.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

With all due respect, when you are going to compete against an established product/Market leader (Free Mapping Software), you cannot release a product that functions as an early Beta or late Alpha. There is no excuse for Apple to do this. You can't honestly applaud Apples strategy of justifying the poor quality of the data Maps provides by comparing it to Google Maps 5 years ago ? That is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    5 years later Apple will get more data, but Google will have that 5 extra years also. Still will be behind Google maps.

Apple is trying to spin this. I guess getting lost because of the app giving wrong direction, Apple will spin it to app giving scenic route.
    Precisely. Apple will likely never catch up. We can only hope for a usable and accurate product. Forget about Apple Maps being better than Google Maps. Time is, simply, not on Apple's side.
    Last edited by mrancier; 10-03-2012 at 07:01 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrancier View Post
    With all due respect, when you are going to compete against an established product/Market leader (Free Mapping Software), you cannot release a product that functions as an early Beta or late Alpha. There is no excuse for Apple to do this. You can't honestly applaud Apples strategy of justifying the poor quality of the data Maps provides by comparing it to Google Maps 5 years ago ? That is absurd.

Precisely. Apple will likely never catch up. We can only hope for a usable and accurate product. Forget about Apple Maps being better than Google Maps. Time is, simply, not on Apple's side.
    Just like how Apple never caught up with Nokia, Motorola, and Sony when it came to making a cell phone. Oh wait, they did and even surpassed them. How many years has Nokia, Motorola, and Sony been making cell phone and then compare that to Apple.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,989 Times in 4,509 Posts

Apple Maps is a 'toy' right now in comparison to Google Maps. Except for the turn by turn which is great and accurate. But Apple admits Apple Maps has a lot of room to grow. It's potential is unparalleled - even by Google. People need to educate themselves on Raster and Vector. So many uniformed comments here. :-(
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apples and oranges.

Apple innovated the smartphone and the accompanying echo system. When it comes to maps they are pretty far behind.

We cannot assume that google will simply keep the maps product in its current state. Look , I love apple, but this is a quite a challenge even for a company with all the money in the world. Google has time on their side. Unless Apple changes the maps paradigm completely there is no way that they're going to surpass Google.
    Last edited by mrancier; 10-03-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,989 Times in 4,509 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrancier View Post
    Apples and oranges.

Apple innovated the smartphone and the accompanying echo system. When it comes to maps they are pretty far behind.

We cannot assume that google will simply keep the maps product in its current state. Look , I love apple, but this is a quite a challenge even for a company with all the money in the world. Google has time on their side. Unless Apple changes the maps paradigm completely there is no way that they're going to surpass Google.
    Yes. I tend to agree with this analysis. Apple has the tendency to bite off more than it can chew. Google wants to take its toys and go home (with maps) and Apple says "who needs 'em.. we're Apple. We'll just make our own app!". It's their arrogance that gets them into trouble. Same problem when Apple says HTML 5 is superior to Flash so we're not going to support Flash. It's an arrogant way of thinking. I think Apple Maps will get better - way better. But it will never be Google Maps. Google's just too far ahead in the maps technology. It's a darn shame Google won't play nicely with Apple anymore. :-( But Apple needed Google. Google doesn't need Apple.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yes. I tend to agree with this analysis. Apple has the tendency to bite off more than it can chew. Google wants to take its toys and go home (with maps) and Apple says "who needs 'em.. we're Apple. We'll just make our own app!". It's their arrogance that gets them into trouble. Same problem when Apple says HTML 5 is superior to Flash so we're not going to support Flash. It's an arrogant way of thinking. I think Apple Maps will get better - way better. But it will never be Google Maps. Google's just too far ahead in the maps technology. It's a darn shame Google won't play nicely with Apple anymore. :-( But Apple needed Google. Google doesn't need Apple.
    I agree with you. I think Google could have established a way to monetize Maps on iOS years ago and become the defacto standard in both iOS and android.
    I also think Apple could have been smarter about this situation : Running old maps and new maps side-by-side would have gone a long way to make this situation insignificant, and would have given apple the strategic high ground and time.
    I personally think that Apple should have gone a different way altogether : Purchase TomTom or Navigon Outright, add the best traffic and public transportation app to the bill. Refund the last 90 days of purchases, and make the iOS App available for free. Take the next 6 months to change the UI to something more "Apple", and integrate Traffic/Public Transportation info. Set a goal for street view(or something like it) availability in the next 24 months. This would have been WAY cheaper, and they would have started with a very usable and very accurate App, not to mention OFFLINE MAPS FROM THE START, which is a HUGE advantage. Oh well...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
    You are missing the whole data thing here. Read the comments it's about the fact that it's vector based, and therefore does not have to load a new image every time you scale the map.
    So is google maps (version 5 and greater)....... On the Android platform.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    So is google maps (version 5 and greater)....... On the Android platform.
    Hahah yes, if you read other things I said you would see that I stated this, but also say again that this article isn't comparing Google's latest maps to Apple's maps, it is comparing Google's maps for iOS and Apple's maps for iOS. Has nothing to do with Android

+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

LinkBacks (?)