+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Maps Beats Google Maps in Data-Efficiency

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple will never be able to get similar data as street view in small european villages around me, this was gathered with google cars and bikes. I don't imagine them
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple will never be able to get similar data as street view in small european villages around me, this was gathered with google cars and bikes. I don't imagine them doing the same.
    I am waiting for Google implementing vector graphics and an iOS map app :-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

With the money you save on data you can tach that off to the time and money on gas spent due to the incorrect location apple maps has sent you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to anekin007 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-02-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I don't see what the big deal is about this map thing .. There's hundreds of apps in the app store just use one of them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    It's still the Maps app and how buggy it is. Just about every view in maps is better in Google Maps on 5.1.1
    Here are 2 screenshots taken today. Guess which is which. BTW, you can see it for yourself. Its the street Neighbors the TV show is shot in.
    Attachment 613398 Attachment 613399
    That looks a lot different than mine. But in either case, that's not really the point of the article. We're dealing with the standard map view, not satellite view. The blurriness of that photo has nothing to do with "more" or "less" data, it's just a lower quality image. The debate here isn't whether Google's or Apple's maps are across the board better, it's simply that Apple' maps are more efficient from a data perspective. It has nothing to do with street labels or how clear the satellite view is and 100% to do with the fact that Apple uses vector maps while Google uses raster images. If you don't understand the difference between vector and raster, you're never going to understand what's being talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by bstunt10190 View Post
    Line 6, faster* not raster

Except Apple isn't making these claims, so are you saying onavo is doing damage control for apple? lolwut
    Once again, it's RASTER. If you don't know the difference between raster and vector, you've got no clue what's being discussed. Read up: An explanation of Raster vs Vector - Graphic Design Forum

Green Apple
    Thanks

So many people complaining. Go ahead and complain to all the other companies that take you to the wrong places. The Apple maps work great here. Sure there are problems but so many people act like Google maps are perfect. They are not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    Um, it has half the **** google maps does. Of course it's going to be more efficient. Lol.
    mod edit, comment removed/
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-02-2012 at 07:30 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Guys the fact of the matter is apple can actually update this maps app and fix it. Google maps did its job but was holding apple behind, even if apples maps didn't get a good start its still better than google maps because they can actually give it features that google maps never had because they weren't allowing apple to add features. People can't argue apple is finally getting turn by turn and also say that their maps application is worse than googles. Apples maps will be updated and foxed and still have these features. Google maps will have their limited features but no bugs. Eventually apples will surpass googles.
    Yes EVENTUALLY maybe. We're talking about now! so stop liking everything apple does and admit something RIGHT NOW is better. If another company made a maps app and isn't up to par with The competition you'd be calling it shitttt! But if the all mighty Apple releases something that is not good you think its ok. Biased much?
    Last edited by Airwaves182; 10-02-2012 at 01:54 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Airwaves182 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-02-2012)

Thanks

I love the way some people in America say "it works for me so why are people complaining".

Apple maps, outside of the USA is pants. It is a waste of space. They have taken away something that worked very well and replaced it with something that doesn't.

As more apps begin to insist on iOS6 then remaining on 5.11 will not be an option. When I come to replacing my phone this could be what sways me in favourite of another OS.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-02-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Of corse apple maps is beating google maps in data usage. Apple maps doesn't even have a quarter of the information that google maps has.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to buttamix For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-02-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I love the way some people in America say "it works for me so why are people complaining".

Apple maps, outside of the USA is pants. It is a waste of space. They have taken away something that worked very well and replaced it with something that doesn't.

As more apps begin to insist on iOS6 then remaining on 5.11 will not be an option. When I come to replacing my phone this could be what sways me in favourite of another OS.
    I love how some people outside of America use that as an excuse as to why it doesn't work for them. Im not in America and Apple maps has been at least as accurate as Google maps, TomTom or Garmin for me. Sometimes Google gets it right and sometimes they don't. Same with Apple maps and every other navigation tool I have ever used.

Thanks

Apple does not have satellite view for vast swathes of the UK. It does not have street view at all. I have yet been able to get Apple maps to find anywhere I've searched for in the UK whereas Google Maps has never let me down.

If it works for you, great. But for lots off people it is farcical.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Apple does not have satellite view for vast swathes of the UK. It does not have street view at all. I have yet been able to get Apple maps to find anywhere I've searched for in the UK whereas Google Maps has never let me down.

If it works for you, great. But for lots off people it is farcical.
    Really odd that the UK has large chunks of satellite view missing whilst Australia, including my sleepy little town, seems fine. Would expect it to be the other way around. I never really used street view much but it was very handy on the few occasions I needed it. Hope to see it in Apple maps one day but not holding my breathe.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
    I actually like Apple maps better than googles...

Yeah me too!.....NOT

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Big deal, would rather eat up a little bit more data and be heading in the right direction rather being sent to the wrong location. I'm still 5.1 JB ip4, so I have no idea about Apple maps, only the reviews of it.
    I love Waze anyways and never had an issue with google maps as well.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Yes EVENTUALLY maybe. We're talking about now! so stop liking everything apple does and admit something RIGHT NOW is better. If another company made a maps app and isn't up to par with The competition you'd be calling it shitttt! But if the all mighty Apple releases something that is not good you think its ok. Biased much?

Well said!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sammy1977 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-02-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polarismanak View Post
    Your an idiot
    **you're**. And you're calling someone else am idiot? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dannyrocket View Post
    **you're**. And you're calling someone else am idiot? LOL
    *an*

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bstunt10190 View Post
    Line 6, faster* not raster
    Nope. It's raster. That's the type of graphics google uses. And Apple uses vector. Raster is based on pixels, so is just an image. So that basically means that when you zoom in and out, you're always downloading new images. Vector is able to enlarge without going blurry, so you don't have to keep downloading more images, which makes for more speed when loading.

Thanks
    Never had a problem with my apple maps use it for work everyday gets me where I'm going with turn by turn navigation I love the new maps people are happy to find anything to down talk apple ..drinking to much haterraid

Thanks

I guess you live in America where the maps are actually OK?

How's street view?

Thanks

I'll say this, not waiting for the map download refresh when you zoom in and out is an amazing bonus in itself.

LinkBacks (?)