Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon iPhone 5 Carrier Update Resolves Cellular Data Usage Issue

Thanks

Default Verizon iPhone 5 Carrier Update Resolves Cellular Data Usage Issue

Apple recently rolled out a carrier update for Verizon iPhone 5s which fixes a bug that many users were previously complaining about, Wi-Fi issues. In some cases, the iPhone 5 was using cellular data even while connected to a Wi-Fi network, eating away at data allowances for many. Apple created a new support page regarding the fix, providing step-by-step instructions for users on what to do to resolve the issue. The installation guide states the following:

1. Tap Settings > General > About.
    2. Wait for the following alert to appear:
    3. Tap OK to install the update.
    4. Hold the Sleep/Wake button down until you see "slide to power off".
    5. Slide to power off.
    6. After the device powers off, hold the Sleep/Wake button to turn your phone back on.

Note: To finish the installation of the update, your iPhone 5 must be turned off and then on again.

After your iPhone restarts, tap Settings > General > About, then scroll down to Carrier and verify that "Verizon 13.1" is displayed.
    The update comes shortly after a number of iPhone 5 users went to Apple’s Support Communities webpage to complain that their newly-purchased handsets were racking up data usage charges even while being connected to functioning Wi-Fi networks. Many owners speculated the issue was related to iOS 6, while others claimed it was a hardware problem with Apple’s new handset.

Although this update is for Verizon Wireless customers only, some posts in the thread mentioned that they had similar issues with AT&T as well, although the validity of their statements has not been confirmed. Different threads are also pointing to owners of older iPhones, such as the iPhone 4 and 4S, also complaining about a rather large amount of data being used after installing iOS 6.

The issue doesn’t appear to be tied to any specific carrier and recent posts point to data usage peaking during overnight hours. It’s also unclear whether Verizon will refund users who were affected by the unintentional data usage and Apple hasn’t made any announcements regarding what caused the issue. At least Verizon customers who were affected by the issue can resolve it and not have to worry about it going forward.

Source: Apple (1) (2) (3)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Ugh, ATT users have the same problem!

Me thinks that the data over usage was not restricted to ios6 ! My iPhone 4 JB on ios5.0.1 recently had massive data usage on both wifi & 3G to the tune of 3gb in a 24hr period !

Does this have to do anything with FaceTime over cellular data? Hmmm.

Also question if I have an Verizon iPhone 5 but its on t-mobile should I upgrade? Or does anyone know if it will lock up the iPhone?
    Last edited by MXCO; 10-01-2012 at 04:05 AM.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Im glad I have sprint! Unlimited data!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MgNate View Post
    Well i have att unlimited data with 25 dollars month!!! Cant be it

Quote Originally Posted by MgNate View Post
    Sprint in my area is not worth getting unlimited for free. I'm right here in the main city and sprint speeds are insanely low. 4g gets no faster then my Verizon 3G all depends on were you live.

I had the same problem. Im on AT&T. All of a sudden one day I get an email saying that my off-network data usage was too much and I was being warned. I did NOTHING different than I have ever done. My 4S is connected to my home wifi network for 90% of the time. And I too have the unlimited data plan. They were just getting b!tchy because I live in a partner area and must have been costing them money...
    I ended up having to restore the phone to fix this problem.
    Last edited by Checksum47; 10-01-2012 at 09:02 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luismiguellopezx View Post
    Well i have att unlimited data with 25 dollars month!!! Cant be it
    And maybe someday you'll actually have 4G!

Verizon got an extra $10 from me in the first 3 days of having my iPhone 5. I selected all the music I wanted to download to my phone from iTunes Match and let it download while I slept. Found out in the morning I went over my 4gb and I didn't get a notification because I had 'do not disturb' turned on! So now I've bought 2 more gb and learned a lesson. I used the data so I'm not asking for any $$ back from Verizon.

Then I found $5!

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

And this is why I paid full price for my iPhone 5 so I could keep my unlimited data plan. Guess ill be paying full price for he rest of my life. Unlimited 4g!! Freaking sick lol

I can confirm that it effects Verizon iPhone 5 with t-mobile, I reseted my data usage and was on wifi the whole time and it has gone up 10MB opening a few web pages.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    And this is why I paid full price for my iPhone 5 so I could keep my unlimited data plan. Guess ill be paying full price for he rest of my life. Unlimited 4g!! Freaking sick lol
    I went on contract and still have unlimited 4g data with att

i never really experienced thes problems.... We have 12gb among 3 devices to share (2 ipads 1 iphone 5). We used 4gb in 10 days...but when its broken down it was just over a 1gb per device for 10 days... this is with Verizon.