Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Maps No Longer "the most beautiful, powerful, mapping service ever"

  1. #1
    Default Apple Maps No Longer "the most beautiful, powerful, mapping service ever"



    Tim Cook did the unexpected and apologized for Apple’s Maps debacle, and Apple changed the Maps product description accordingly.

    Previously Apple’s Maps description included the verbage “the most beautiful, powerful, mapping service ever.” This claim, based in a bizarro reality, is false. Not true. A lie. Apple has changed the description now that people know Apple’s mapping solution, while beautiful, is not nearly as functional and accurate as that previous claim insinuates. “Al in a beautiful vector-based interface that scales and zooms with ease” now takes the previous claims place.

    Apple’s new product description better represents the actually accuracy and functionality of the new mapping application. Until public transportation information, and landmark information becomes more accurate and abundant Google Maps will be the reigning king of native mapping applications.

    Still, kudos to Apple for manning up and admitting their mistakes and not stopping at a simple press release. Apple is actively attempting to help their customers by providing them with recommended mapping solutions outside of their own.

    However, it seems the best move would have been to keep Google Maps for another year, and roll out a more complete and battle tested mapping application after a public beta perhaps.

    Source: 9to5Mac

  2. #2
    What's Jailbreak? Operator20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
    I still have faith that Apple will come through with a successful mapping application. Now that they are being trashed for their app, it should make them strive to make it even better than they had originally planned for and put extra effort into making it phenomenal.

  3. #3
    Because a company shouldn't have to actually deliver a good product unless their customers get angry and complain about the quality?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Operator20 View Post
    I still have faith that Apple will come through with a successful mapping application. Now that they are being trashed for their app, it should make them strive to make it even better than they had originally planned for and put extra effort into making it phenomenal.
    I agree

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Operator20 View Post
    I still have faith that Apple will come through with a successful mapping application. Now that they are being trashed for their app, it should make them strive to make it even better than they had originally planned for and put extra effort into making it phenomenal.
    I think this reality check is what apple needs to stop litigating and start innovating again.

    Apple is really between a rock and a hard place. You can't spoil your user base just once to gain the upper hand and expect to keep it with mediocre updates.

    Apple was doing a find and dandy job handing out breadcrumbs but their users taste buds are getting too accustomed to it and now it's losing it's flavor.

  6. #6
    Hahaha

  7. #7
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,536
    Thanks
    3,597
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    I haven't upgraded none of my iDevices because of the map app. Wish Apple would hurry up!

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts

    Just get GPS Drive. It's the best map app

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
    I think this reality check is what apple needs to stop litigating and start innovating again.

    Apple is really between a rock and a hard place. You can't spoil your user base just once to gain the upper hand and expect to keep it with mediocre updates.

    Apple was doing a find and dandy job handing out breadcrumbs but their users taste buds are getting too accustomed to it and now it's losing it's flavor.
    Uhh...iPhone 5 sales are smashing all records.

  10. #10
    Blah blah blah. Maps this, maps that.! Since when was maps all that anyone cared about on an I device.?they are not even that bad. Personally I do not buy an iPhone because of its amazing features. I buy it because it well built and has integration with just about everything these days.

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Awdad724 View Post
    Blah blah blah. Maps this, maps that.! Since when was maps all that anyone cared about on an I device.?they are not even that bad. Personally I do not buy an iPhone because of its amazing features. I buy it because it well built and has integration with just about everything these days.
    Well what you buy an iPhone for may differ greatly from what others buy it for. Alot of people actually do use the mapping service for numerous reasons and quite frequently....so I would say it IS an important part of any mobile device. Apple screwed up and boasted this Maps app and it turned out to be a joke. Now people are refusing to update their devices SOLELY because of the new Maps app.

  12. #12
    "No longer"?
    It never was.

  13. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    278
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts

    I use the map app pretty frequently and i have yet to run into any problem. I've used it about 15 times since I've had the phone. Its all about where your at. I love the new map app. Googles maps didn't cover the whole world when it was launched back in 05'. Apple is taking on a huge undertaking, way more than google did when they launched.

  14. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,441
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MgNate View Post
    I use the map app pretty frequently and i have yet to run into any problem. I've used it about 15 times since I've had the phone. Its all about where your at. I love the new map app. Googles maps didn't cover the whole world when it was launched back in 05'. Apple is taking on a huge undertaking, way more than google did when they launched.
    Um the google maps has been significantly updated since its launch. It's not the same app as it was in '05.
    Apple haven't done a huge undertaking. They took TomToms maps and fu*ked them up. TomTom did all the work but Apple couldn't even implement it correctly

  15. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    213
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MgNate View Post
    I use the map app pretty frequently and i have yet to run into any problem. I've used it about 15 times since I've had the phone. Its all about where your at. I love the new map app. Googles maps didn't cover the whole world when it was launched back in 05'. Apple is taking on a huge undertaking, way more than google did when they launched.
    Did the world (Earth) get bigger?
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
    I think this reality check is what apple needs to stop litigating and start innovating again.

    Apple is really between a rock and a hard place. You can't spoil your user base just once to gain the upper hand and expect to keep it with mediocre updates.

    Apple was doing a find and dandy job handing out breadcrumbs but their users taste buds are getting too accustomed to it and now it's losing it's flavor.
    Whaddya mean? The iPhone 5 is smashing sales records. Come on, Apple says it's "revolutionary" and "innovative", remember? I really believe thats some sick way of twisting the reality of what it really was - nothing.

    I bought into the hype, I bought a 5, and it's mind boggling to me. Update to iOS 6 on your 4S, and you essentially have the exact same device. Listen, I like the 5. I liked the 4s. I liked the 4, and the 3G and the 3gs and the original. I had them all, but I 100% agree with you.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Operator20 View Post
    I still have faith that Apple will come through with a successful mapping application. Now that they are being trashed for their app, it should make them strive to make it even better than they had originally planned for and put extra effort into making it phenomenal.
    I doubt that would happen, look how they got trashed by galaxy unit and yet they didnt bother to make something that can outshine galaxy s3.
    Current apple management are just good on propaganda to make their rivals bad, if Steve Jobs is still here prolly we could have better iphone than the iphone5 right now

  18. #18
    Apple will get the map app straightened out in do time. Tim Cook admitted it has issues, now Apple will correct them. They have a huge up hill battle to go up against google maps. Google maps is the crown jewel of map apps, so getting close to that point is gonna take time and some failures.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Well what you buy an iPhone for may differ greatly from what others buy it for. Alot of people actually do use the mapping service for numerous reasons and quite frequently....so I would say it IS an important part of any mobile device. Apple screwed up and boasted this Maps app and it turned out to be a joke. Now people are refusing to update their devices SOLELY because of the new Maps app.

    Just like apple has advertised if your not happy with the new maps "don't use them" there are plenty of other map apps out there to replace it while they update. People will complain about anything they can find to complain about every year it's something, all I've gotta say is every year there is complaining yet every time apple sells more and more devices. Seems to me that the complainers out there still come back so obviously apples mistakes are not as big as they put them out to be.

  20. #20
    That's funny stuff, man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •