+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumer Reports: Apple's Maps App Still Provides a Good Solution for Standard Software

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Consumer Reports: Apple's Maps App Still Provides a Good Solution for Standard Software

Consumer Reports recently put Apple’s new Maps against Google’s Android Maps in a “showdown” to see which provides better navigation features. The result led to Jeff Bartlett writing that while “both the free Apple and Google navigation apps provide clear routing directions,” the group concluded that “Google provides a better overall package, but we feel that both provide a good solution for standard software.”

Just last week, the magazine expressed disappointment with Apple’s new Maps service in iOS 6, just like many consumers and other credible sources have done as well. The group noted that after “having more thoroughly tested Apple Maps alongside a Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) with Google Maps, we have a more favorable opinion – certainly more favorable than comments and articles that we’ve been reading online.”

The folks tested both apps in the New York area and stated “both Apple Maps and Google Maps route effectively, providing clear guidance and great points-of-interest integration. Their comparison went on to say Apple’s free Maps “lacks some of the features and integration found in dedicated portable navigators and other navigation apps from Garmin, Navigon, and TomTom, such as reality view, lane assistance, exit guide, and multi-destination routing.” They added that they expected the app to match the state of the art and perhaps even advance it, but that is an area where Apple fell short.

When it came to presentation, Consumer Reports found Apple’s Maps impressive with its interface, results, signage, and points of interest information. They found the customization to be a bit lacking when compared to Google’s Maps, which they considered to be a mixed blessing as distractions can be dangerous when driving. They found Google’s iteration to be a bit more “business like and less fun.” Google also was better at reporting traffic but voice recognition features proved to be the similar between the two.

When they tried to delve into “weird 3D images” which was something many users were complaining about, they found “more often than not, we found rather intriguing 3D representations that bring a map to life. The reality is, this is a novelty feature, not a component of navigation.” They also found and successfully routed to several points of interest and stated that both platforms provided comparable information about restaurants and other attractions. This discovery helped clarify the complaints about “misplaced points of interest.”

Overall, the verdict points towards Apple’s Maps app not being as bad as people make it seem, it’s just not up to par with Google’s iteration, which is something that should be expected considering how long Google’s been working on their Maps app. Despite this, Tim Cook recently released a letter apologizing for the inconvenience the Apple Maps app has caused consumers and Apple has even created a Maps section in the App Store to promote third-party navigation apps.

Source: Consumer Reports

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

They need to try it in less populous areas. Their results would change.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Thanks

yay... another apple maps article...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Consumer Reports: Apple's Maps App Still Provides a Good Solution for Standard Software "in New York" might be more accurate title !!! Cos it sure ain't where I live....

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    They need to try it in less populous areas. Their results would change.
    So far Apple Maps has been spot on every time. That's in Australia in the far outer suburbs of Adelaide. Not exactly a populous area. Comparing accuracy to both google and Tom Tom has been about the same for me.

Banned
    Thanks

They need to do a better test. How about they test an iPhone 4 with IOS5.1.1 and an iPhone 5 with IOS6.0 in Australia. They will see how bad the new maps really is.

I've done some tests with my iPhone 4,JB IOS5.1.1 and iPad3 IOS6 and the iPhone4 is heaps better when it comes to just about everything. Not just maps but nearly everything is faster on the iPhone4 and its jailbroken so it should be slower but its not. The iPad3 is heaps slower now, slower than the iPhone4 which is the main reason why I'm not going to upgrade the iPhone 4 as it will be nearly unuseable on IOS6.

There are many factors when it comes to iPhone vs Android so do a real test with iPhone vs iPhone, IOS5.1.1 to IOS6.0, then you will see the true results.
    Next time I see my brother I'll do some real tests. He has a iPhone4 and iPhone4S both on IOS6 so I'll test them against my iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 and give some real proper results.

Thanks

In the UK Apple Maps have failed miserably every time I've tried to use it.
    The lack of Street View would have been bad enough, but the lack of 'satellite' images is appalling. Together with the lack of being able to find even basic places and some gross inaccuracies make it farcical.
    Anyone who wants turn by turn navigation will already have something like CoPilot which is a far better solution anyway.
    I will not be updating my iPad as the new features (including Siri) in no way make up for the appalling loss of functionality in the Maps app.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I've done some tests with my iPhone 4,JB IOS5.1.1 and iPad3 IOS6 and the iPhone4 is heaps better when it comes to just about everything. Not just maps but nearly everything is faster on the iPhone4 and its jailbroken so it should be slower but its not. The iPad3 is heaps slower now, slower than the iPhone4 which is the main reason why I'm not going to upgrade the iPhone 4 as it will be nearly unuseable on IOS6.
    Compare your iPhone 4 with the iP5 and then tell us which is faster.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    They need to do a better test. How about they test an iPhone 4 with IOS5.1.1 and an iPhone 5 with IOS6.0 in Australia. They will see how bad the new maps really is.

There are many factors when it comes to iPhone vs Android so do a real test with iPhone vs iPhone, IOS5.1.1 to IOS6.0, then you will see the true results.
    Next time I see my brother I'll do some real tests. He has a iPhone4 and iPhone4S both on IOS6 so I'll test them against my iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 and give some real proper results.

Stop assuming your one device represents the world. I work on these devices daily, they are no slower. (especially 4s's and ipad 2's) I've updated them en mass for the place i work, and don't see your issues.

The only thing that reminds me of what your talking about is early iOS 6 beta's. Which if you flashed them, not being a dev, you need to DFU your device and go stock.

now, please tell me:

did your iOS 5 maps have turn by turn?
    what features in iOS 5 maps are missing in the google maps html 5 version? (which is getting street view, something we never had)

please no more nub reviews. We see this enough.
    My iPhone 4 Mod Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54754025@N07/

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I am glad this map issue happened to Apple, They deserve it! There is no reason why they couldn't work with Google on maps. Who cares if Google's android OS is selling better. It's Apple's own fault for not innovating faster. It's called competition, live with Apple....& fanboys.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Theres a typo in your title, it should read "Consumer Reports: Apple's Maps App Still Provides a Good Solution for Substandard Software"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post

now, please tell me:

did your iOS 5 maps have turn by turn?
    what features in iOS 5 maps are missing in the google maps html 5 version? (which is getting street view, something we never had)

please no more nub reviews. We see this enough.
    People who want turn by turn have a proper sat nav app alr easy - not the half arsed attempt in Apple Maps.

The HTML version is slower and nowhere near as usable as the google maps in previous iOS.
    What do you mean we've not had steet view before?its been in iOS Google maps for ages.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I am glad this map issue happened to Apple, They deserve it! There is no reason why they couldn't work with Google on maps. Who cares if Google's android OS is selling better. It's Apple's own fault for not innovating faster. It's called competition, live with Apple....& fanboys.

You must be dumb or read only what you want to read, Google would not let Apple use turn-by-turn on their device saying its an Android on;y feature. Apple was pretty much forced to create their own maps. Using the term fanboy makes you sound like one yourself so your not any better.

PS. none of this has to do with Google's OS selling better and the only reason why they sell better is 1 they flood the market (which most of the phone's are crap) 2 Google's OS is on every single carrier, a lot of people like pay as you go which you can't do with an iPhone
    Last edited by Luie82; 09-29-2012 at 09:45 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Luie82 For This Useful Post:

Eiswritsat (09-29-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luie82 View Post
    2 Google's OS is on every single carrier, a lot of people like pay as you go which you can't do with an iPhone
    I use my iPhone on PAYG - your generalizations are almost s bad as the articles - it works OK in New York so what is all the fuss about...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I STILL DONT see what the ios Maps issues is. I live in Atlanta and have been using the apple/ios maps since IOS 6 beta 1 and haven't had any issues using it PERIOD! its accurate, fast, and turn by turn works. The 3d maps didnt work in Atlanta till the ios6 GM was released but i have the 3d maps and they look good. i guess some people will complain about anything, but i have nothing to complain about on my end. Is it flawless NO but neither was Google maps, or my Garmin 265lmt or the first versions of google maps on the first few iPhones either
    Last edited by Eiswritsat; 09-29-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks

You live in America, it works for you so it must work for the rest of us?

I guess I'm just whinging for nothing and Apple Maps aren't totally useless here then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    So far Apple Maps has been spot on every time. That's in Australia in the far outer suburbs of Adelaide. Not exactly a populous area. Comparing accuracy to both google and Tom Tom has been about the same for me.
    im not to familiar with tom tom but ive used a few garmins gps units that were pretty accurate at times
    Last edited by Eiswritsat; 09-29-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks

Idk where they tested but no. Apple maps is not ok for standard software. I was stupid enough to try to use it yesterday in sf. Wasted an hour of my time. It couldn't find pier 27. 27 is the biggest public pier. Wtf. Not ok

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I really dont see why apple didnt just put the tom toms app in the iphone for free haha.. I mean they would use the same ui and directions and places tom tom uses in supported locations but for places like china where that other company uses software they should use that. I feel like apple has this great technology pre-built and they only needed to mold it into one app and they failed..