+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Launch of iPhone 5 Leads to Large Increase in Reseller Market

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Launch of iPhone 5 Leads to Large Increase in Reseller Market

According to The Wall Street Journal, the iPhone 4 and 4S are helping to create a second-hand market that is both robust and global. This market tends to be mostly US to overseas in direction and seems to be growing in response to the high visibility of the iPhone brand via the iPhone 5. Basically, an entire industry has grown up around the resale of older iPhone devices. According to Chief Executive of buyback service Gazelle Inc., Israel Ganot, “we are supply constrained. There is insatiable demand for this product.”

What many iPhone owners don’t even realize is that their older iPhone may sell for more than the price originally paid for it, due to the way that U.S. carriers, at least, subsidize the cost of the iPhone by requiring annual contracts, which locks users into a higher overall cost than they may understand. The Wall Street Journal noted that a 16GB iPhone 4S can sell for roughly $240 on gazelle, which is over $40 more than most U.S. users paid for the device. Even the iPhone 4 can sell for $145 according to the report. There are obviously other choices, such as Craigslist, which in many cases ends up netting even more of a profit to those selling used iOS devices. The WSJ continued to note that broken iPhones are also being used for parts and repairs overseas. AT&T phones supposedly sell for a bit more in the second-hand market since they can be used with more networks overseas (since they are based on a GSM network).

The iPhone launch also caused an influx in new selling and buying of older model iPhones, with Gazelle stating that it gave out over 500,000 quotes on the day the iPhone 5 was announced and over 2.5 million in the last month alone. According to the company, almost all of these went to US-based customers. Another surprising fact is that this activity is five times as much as it was a year ago when the iPhone 5 was announced.

How many of you have participated in the buying and selling of used iOS devices? If so, where did you end up buying or selling yours?

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Sold my i4, got the 4s. Now planning on selling my 4s, and get the beautiful, amazing, sg3 killing (like it ever needed killing, lol) iPhone 5! Can't wait! Waiting for the iphone 5 madness to die down a little bit, and the more news I hear on a jailbreak, the more i am moving up my purchase date! How much have some of you gotten for your used 4s? And where?
    El Zurdo

Thanks

iPhone's are always good business for everyone! I've made a good amount of money from buying cheap iPhone 4/4S and reselling them. And the iPhone 5 is roof breaking that I can't even buy one off Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Sold my i4, got the 4s. Now planning on selling my 4s, and get the beautiful, amazing, sg3 killing (like it ever needed killing, lol) iPhone 5! Can't wait! Waiting for the iphone 5 madness to die down a little bit, and the more news I hear on a jailbreak, the more i am moving up my purchase date! How much have some of you gotten for your used 4s? And where?
    I sold my white iPhone 4S 64GB unlocked for $700 two weeks before the iPhone 5 released and it was on Craigslist.
    Last edited by MXCO; 09-28-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 905 Posts

I sold my 4s and got £250

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Bought my iPhone 5 32GB at Verizon on the release day for $300 plus taxes and sold my 4s 32GB for $375 it was in perfect condition of course.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

3GS ATT at instant sale for $110. 16gb. Best quote I could find. Very easy deal.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iphone4 32 gb sold on Monday for 280.99+ shipping. I basically paid $50 for my new one

My iPhone is a Part of Me tellytel's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone4 on eBay right now with 2 days left. Already at 245$ and that's for a 16gb

Thanks
    Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    The only news I really saw was that Pod2G isn't working actively on an iOS6 JB. Sure Chpwn has jailbroken his 5 but it was never stated if it was tethered or untethered I thought. I think he said he restored it too as it was unstable (obviously an early beta JB)

I too hope they work on and eventually release one tho
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tellytel View Post
    iPhone4 on eBay right now with 2 days left. Already at 245$ and that's for a 16gb
    Nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wicrowe View Post
    3GS ATT at instant sale for $110. 16gb. Best quote I could find. Very easy deal.
    Yup! Same here. When AT&T said they'd give me $150 for my iPhone4 (with a cracked back glass plate btw), I said "SOLD!!!" lol I didn't have the patience to sell it online...
    Last edited by Breezy215; 09-28-2012 at 05:23 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MUFC55's Avatar
    Thanks

Sold my iPhone 4s 32gb for £380 on gumtree in the uk just before iPhone 5 got announced! and the guy who bought it travelled 116 miles to get it all the way from Wales!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Unlock your phone before selling for the same to fifty bucks more than you boight it for

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

sold my i phone 4 on e-bay got $300 then sold my other i phone 4 to gazelle after getting 2 new i phone 5's 32gig and only got $130 but didn't have to shell out fees for pay Pal or Ebay.

Thanks

Just out of curiosity... Are there any android phones that hold their value like the iPhone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone kyphur's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    sold my i phone 4 on e-bay got $300 then sold my other i phone 4 to gazelle after getting 2 new i phone 5's 32gig and only got $130 but didn't have to shell out fees for pay Pal or Ebay.
    Which only makes sense if eBay & PayPal fees total up to $170 on a $300 transaction which it doesn't...

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Just out of curiosity... Are there any android phones that hold their value like the iPhone?
    By browsing eBay I came to the conclusion that the android has to be a couple months old. From the release date if your like a year or 2 deep into it u will get pennies. Nothing holds re sell value like a iPhone or causes world wide theft. Last time I checked there weren't people breaking into a android based store to steal their products like people have gone nuts for apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    By browsing eBay I came to the conclusion that the android has to be a couple months old. From the release date if your like a year or 2 deep into it u will get pennies. Nothing holds re sell value like a iPhone or causes world wide theft. Last time I checked there weren't people breaking into a android based store to steal their products like people have gone nuts for apple.
    So after your contract is up on an android you're SOL? Haha
    Free upgrades for iPhone owners is what I'm reading here!

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

I use "kijiji" to sell
    My phones. Got 300 for my
    Cracked white iPhone 4 and 300 for a black iPhone 4 "used condition"

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 667 Posts

Sold my 4S for $400 on eBay. AT&T 64GB unlocked like new condition. Had every in the box except for the earbuds. Even paperwork and stickers lol ;-p

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yup! Same here. When AT&T said they'd give me $150 for my iPhone4 (with a cracked back glass plate btw), I said "SOLD!!!" lol I didn't have the patience to sell it online...[/QUOTE]

AT&T buys old iPhones?? if so, how does it work?