+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple-Made Dock Referenced in Official iPhone 5 User Guide

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple-Made Dock Referenced in Official iPhone 5 User Guide

Although Apple hasn't released a first-party dock for the iPhone 5 and its new Lightning connector, the official iPhone 5 user guide has references to an official “iPhone Dock” accessory sold separately. These references were discovered by MacDailyNews in two different places within the official guide which can be downloaded in PDF form directly from Apple’s site.

The first reference to the “iPhone Dock” accessory can be found on page 7 of the guide. Under the section labeled “Connecting Cable”, the guide notes that the new Lightning to USB cable, packaged with the iPhone 5, “can also be used with the iPhone Dock (sold separately).”

The second reference to an officially titled “Dock” can be found on page 34 of the iPhone 5 owners’ manual. In a section where the guide discusses how users can recharge the battery on their new iPhone 5, the guide notes that users can connect their handset “to your computer using the included cable and the Dock, available separately.”

Apple previously sold a first-party dock for $29 for previous iPhone models with the 30-pin dock connector but this year, with the launch of the iPhone 5 and its new, smaller Lightning connector, Apple did not release a redesigned dock alongside the new hardware. The redesigned port allowed Apple to make sure the new iPhone was thinner and lighter than ever, but has also caused frustration for some users who are not happy with the legacy accessories, including the 30-pin docks, are no longer compatible.

There have been many suggestions that Apple may not be planning an official iPhone 5 dock designed to fit the new device’s thinner profile and redesigned Lightning port but the references contained in the iPhone 5 manual suggest that the company could still release an accessory. There is always the possibility that Apple originally planned to build its own iPhone 5 dock before scrapping the plans with the references to an official “Dock” accessory simply not being removed from the iPhone 5 user guide. We’ll have to wait and see what move Apple makes.

Source: MacDailyNews

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Why wait for apple? Buy an old third party dock and a third party thunderbolt charger when they come out and just make your own "dock"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Why wait for apple? Buy an old third party dock and a third party thunderbolt charger when they come out and just make your own "dock"
    Agree!!
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I liked my dock that came with the 2G. Wish it came in boxes still.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I think we r talking about iphone 5, not a mac. The cable is called Lightning.

Edit: FYI in case if u r planing to use thunderbolt charger on mac (if there is one), you can make fireworks. lol

Edit2: Speaking of Lightning and Thunderbolt, why Apple don't make Lighting to Thunderbolt cable? Then they can make Thunderbolt to USB adapter for $29.90 too.
    Last edited by blueberry27; 09-27-2012 at 11:53 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish the 3rd party lightning adapters/cables would come out already, I'm not paying full price since I want like 8 of them spread around the house/friends/work/car.

Check out the comments on this pre-review:
    Amazon.com: Michael Stack's review of iPhone 5 Lightning Dock Adapter Cable
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R1QTQ0X...wasThisHelpful
    Last edited by JazJon; 09-27-2012 at 11:54 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is also reference about an iPhone Micro USB Adapter (available separately in some areas)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrex21 View Post
    There is also reference about an iPhone Micro USB Adapter (available separately in some areas)
    That adaptor is available in Europe already, its Apples way of pretending that they conform the the rules that all phone chargers must now be charged by a microUSB cable.

Its about time the EU took Apple to task over this as the adaptor isn't free

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    I wish the 3rd party lightning adapters/cables would come out already, I'm not paying full price since I want like 8 of them spread around the house/friends/work/car.

Check out the comments on this pre-review:
    Amazon.com: Michael Stack's review of iPhone 5 Lightning Dock Adapter Cable
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R1QTQ0X...wasThisHelpful
    Agreed!!! I'm used to having chargers everywhere in the house & at work so I don't have to carry one around with me like I do now...

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this is a typo and that they had printed up the manual before Apple execs decided not to issue a dock for the iphone 5.