+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Trying to Patent Siri Voice Assistant Components

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple is trying to secure the patent to the various technologies that together comprise the Siri Voice Assistant, a move that some view as Apple's way of telling competitors to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Trying to Patent Siri Voice Assistant Components

Apple is trying to secure the patent to the various technologies that together comprise the Siri Voice Assistant, a move that some view as Apple's way of telling competitors to stop trying to rip off Siri and its popular features.

In a patent filing almost as long as "War and Peace," Apple meticulously outlines the intellectual property asserted behind the creation of Siri. The document filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is labeled "Intelligent Automated Assistant."

According to some legal experts and market analysts who have looked into the matter, Apple is taking a particularly bold move in claiming ownership of how users can speak conversationally with Siri as opposed to just chirping commands into their mobile device.

Apple, in fact, positions Siri as a true assistant capable of reducing frustration from users who seek information.

"Many users may have difficulty even discovering what functionality and/or information is available on their electronic devices or on various websites," the document reads. "Thus, such users may become frustrated over overwhelmed, or may simply be unable to use the resources available to them in an effective manner."

If you're wondering if this latest effort by Apple could spur more lawsuits, that is a definite possibility for down the road. But for now, Apple must first obtain the intellectual property protections it seeks. And there's no guarantee that this will actually happen.

Source: US Patent and Trademark Office (Via Apple Insider)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 670 Posts

I guess the original company that made Siri didn't do any patents? or they did and Apple is filling in all the grey areas that the other company miss.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I guess the original company that made Siri didn't do any patents? or they did and Apple is filling in all the grey areas that the other company miss.
    Apple bought the original company didn't they? Yeah because there was that App Store app that was like Siri and they discontinued it and shut off its servers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dustin942000 View Post
    Apple bought the original company didn't they? Yeah because there was that App Store app that was like Siri and they discontinued it and shut off its servers
    Yes they did. So i would be assuming that if the company had any patents at that time that they would transfer over to Apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Yes they did. So i would be assuming that if the company had any patents at that time that they would transfer over to Apple.
    Yeah that's normally why a company buys another company, either to eliminate competition or to secure technology that they want to implement. And they probably wanted the people who made the softwares expertise lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

So they are patenting RD2D and C3PO?

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

And court is now back in session.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rukavuda's Avatar
    Thanks

Get it to work at least 50% of the time then patent it !!!
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9020/gagaxq.jpg

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rukavuda View Post
    Get it to work at least 50% of the time then patent it !!!
    Sorry. Do u want me to do a web search for get it to work at least 50% of the time..:... Lol yea it's annoying

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Attack of the Samsung's Android S Voice begins...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bencjedi View Post
    So they are patenting RD2D and C3PO?
    I can understand Siri but I can't understand R2D2 whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    They can't.
    Samsung SVoice came out before this petition, and because patent is not granted yet. Samsung can contest this patent if any part of the Apple petition touch any part of Samsung's SVoice ability or future improvements Samsung already start to work on.
    Last edited by unison999; 09-27-2012 at 03:13 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Google had already implemented their voice assistant by the time Apple released Siri.

So Apple is trying to suggest that their service is different because you can "speak naturally"? I don't know patents but that doesn't seem like it's a very strong argument. Even "chirping" commands will eventually turn into being able to accept natural language once the command list gets large enough.

Plus I have never been able to speak naturally to Siri

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

apple is scurred

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Google search is far better than Siri or S-Voice. Faster, more accurate, sounds like a freaking human lol. The biggest part of google search is that you don't even have to rely on a Internet connection to operate it.

Eat that Siri!! Now back to playing with my iPhone 5. 😳Oh the agony

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    I think android is funny. It's obvious they are ripping off the Siri concept. When Siri first debuted the android cheif executive Andy Ruben made a statement along the lines of, "I don't believe your phone should be an assistant." He went as far as bashing the idea saying you should use your phone to communicate not actually communicate with your phone. But then they eventually developed they own Siri. I just think this is laughable to a point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    Google search is far better than Siri or S-Voice. Faster, more accurate, sounds like a freaking human lol. The biggest part of google search is that you don't even have to rely on a Internet connection to operate it.

Eat that Siri!! Now back to playing with my iPhone 5. ��Oh the agony
    Really??? Funny how it sounds just like Siri. Google being that lazy not to even change the sound of the voice??? They may have had something before, but you had to talk like a robot to get it to work LOL

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    apple is scurred
    That's skeered if you live south of the Mason/Dixon line!
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Curious to see exactly what they are trying to patent... Nuance is the recognized leader in this kind stuff for years... But i suppose whatever was unique about siri's technology is what they'd patent.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder what kind of patents does android have?

Banned
    Thanks

More reasons why Apple sucks. It didn't invent Siri. All it did was buy the company that did invent Siri but it wants to take all the credit.

Google search is better than Siri in just about every way. Go check out the video on youtube that compares the two and you will see how pathetic Siri really is and how good Google Search is. (Is it called Google Search? Whatever)

So if the patent goes through I'm guessing Apple will again Sue Samsung for its voice technology. Or Apple will sue Google over its search. It'll sue someone like it always does.
    Apple just has too much money and doesn't know what to do with it. Instead of making the best device ever it sues the competition and keeps releasing inferior devices.