Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Non-Contract AT&T iPhone 5s Unlockable Through iTunes

  1. #1
    Default Non-Contract AT&T iPhone 5s Unlockable Through iTunes



    Wednesday TechCrunch discovered that non-contract AT&T iPhone 5s can be unlocked through a simple iTunes rest.

    The process reportedly works with iPhone 5s purchased at full price from AT&T. The process is unbelievably simple, especially when compared to AT&Ts traditional unlocking procedure which involves submitting a form online, sending an actual fax (yes fax machines still exist), and waiting a week for a restore.

    TechCrunch confirmed the procedure with AT&Ts tech support and completed the once-step process without any problems. After the iTunes reset, TechCrunch’s Romain Dillet simply trimmed down a compatible T-Mobile micro-SIM card to fit in the iPhone 5’s nano-SIM tray.

    However, it appears there are still some catches resulting from Apple adding a device's IMEI to their database at the time of purchase. TechCrunch was able to successfully unlock an iPhone 5 purchased through Apple’s retail store, but was unable to perform the unlock on a unit pre-ordered through AT&T even though the device was purchased at full price. The catch appears to be the device tied to an existing AT&T account during the pre-order process according to TechCrunch.

    The simple unlock process is encouraging, especially when accompanied by reports that Verizon iPhone 5’s ship unlocked for GSM networks.

    Source: TechCrunch [via AppleInsider]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 09-27-2012 at 01:09 AM.

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts

    I actually just got my 4s unlocked that was technically still under contract. If the imei isnt attached to the account in contract it can be unlocked. Regular customer care wanted me to do the online form. I told them i wanted tech support, tech support looked at it and the phone was released from at&t in less than 5 minutes. Restored in itunes and Bam unlocked 4s with 18 months left in contract. Paid for my new 5. So basically what I took from this is at&t has a system that itunes connects to to determine whether or not the phone is still attached to at&t, once released and a restore is done its unlocked. Find a stupid tech support person and you can prolly get your 5 unlocked..
    Last edited by clikzip; 09-27-2012 at 01:33 AM.

  3. #3
    Can you use the same iPhone 5 with Sprint and AT&T? Cause I got sprint right now and going to go back to AT&T next year, would I need to buy a new iPhone or can I just use the same unlocked sprint/at&t iPhone when I switch?

  4. #4
    You don't actually have to restore you know. Just insert a non-AT&T sim after you get your email and connect and iTunes unlocks the phone.

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Can you use the same iPhone 5 with Sprint and AT&T? Cause I got sprint right now and going to go back to AT&T next year, would I need to buy a new iPhone or can I just use the same unlocked sprint/at&t iPhone when I switch?
    Don't think so... Different bands...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Can you use the same iPhone 5 with Sprint and AT&T? Cause I got sprint right now and going to go back to AT&T next year, would I need to buy a new iPhone or can I just use the same unlocked sprint/at&t iPhone when I switch?
    You can use the same phone on AT&T if you get it unlocked, but you would only be able to get 3G/HSPA+.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jwil736 View Post
    You can use the same phone on AT&T if you get it unlocked, but you would only be able to get 3G/HSPA+.
    Ok so I would need an unlocked AT&T iPhone or an unlocked sprint iPhone? Thanks

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by clikzip View Post
    I actually just got my 4s unlocked that was technically still under contract. If the imei isnt attached to the account in contract it can be unlocked. Regular customer care wanted me to do the online form. I told them i wanted tech support, tech support looked at it and the phone was released from at&t in less than 5 minutes. Restored in itunes and Bam unlocked 4s with 18 months left in contract. Paid for my new 5. So basically what I took from this is at&t has a system that itunes connects to to determine whether or not the phone is still attached to at&t, once released and a restore is done its unlocked. Find a stupid tech support person and you can prolly get your 5 unlocked..
    actually, mine unlock itself after i upgrade to 6. form 5.1.1 and still under contract with att.12 months to go.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Ok so I would need an unlocked AT&T iPhone or an unlocked sprint iPhone? Thanks
    You would need an unlocked sprint phone but you cannot get AT&T LTE from a sprint or Verizon phone on AT&T network only HSPA+.
    You would be better off selling your sprint phone and buying one through AT&T.

  10. #10
    Oh lord, please don't tell me we'll have another thread about AT&T unlocking phones.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    Oh lord, please don't tell me we'll have another thread about AT&T unlocking phones.
    Don't like it? Kick rocks, no one is forcing you to read it. You read the title that was enough for you to not read further. Not only did you read further but also commented on how you don't want to read more of it? Makes no sense...

  12. #12
    Pretty soon every iPhone on the market will be unlocked.... I don't like it much, value of the iPhone are gonna go down if eBay or Craigslist get flooded with unlocked iPhone's. now I miss Steve jobs more.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

  13. #13
    If you're looking for an unlock, ModMyi did an article a few days back on this site iUnlockr - The easiest way to unlock your iPhone for any carrier. Factory unlock your iPhone today. . Got my iPhone 5 unlocked from them in less then 15 minutes, no hassle!

  14. #14
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    190
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 61 Times in 47 Posts

    I'm waiting to hear back from AT&T after filling out the online form. I talked to customer service and the person filled it out for me and submitted it.

    Clikzip my imei number for my 4s should not longer be attached to my contract since I upgraded to the 5 correct? So technically I still have a contract on it....i will call back and ask for tech support if I get denied..


    However if all you have to do is get the imei number off your account could you just take the nano sim with an adapter and put it in say my old iPhone 4 for a while...then call and have my 5 unlocked too? Might have to try that..
    Last edited by Da Wil-Man; 09-27-2012 at 07:52 AM.

  15. #15
    Does this apply to 4S?

  16. #16
    I didn't need an unlock as I am using AT&T anyway but I always want an unlocked phone because its cooler.....LOL I used unlockstation and unlockstation.com for $19.99 submit your IMEI number pay with paypal and wait 5 hours or so for his email back, restore in iTunes and done your unlocked. Done three phones this way and I have a T-Mo sim that I tested with and it picks up a signal.

  17. #17
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    951
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 81 Times in 64 Posts

    Sending a fax? The day AT&T started unlocking iPhones, I contacted customer service over live chat, gave the rep all the info I needed, and restored my iPhone 4 about a week later and it was unlocked. Have they changed something since then or is faxing optional?

    Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    Pretty soon every iPhone on the market will be unlocked.... I don't like it much, value of the iPhone are gonna go down if eBay or Craigslist get flooded with unlocked iPhone's. now I miss Steve jobs more.
    Need a tissue? And a pacifier?
    Last edited by Channan; 09-27-2012 at 07:46 AM.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

    If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by skram View Post
    If you're looking for an unlock, ModMyi did an article a few days back on this site iUnlockr - The easiest way to unlock your iPhone for any carrier. Factory unlock your iPhone today. . Got my iPhone 5 unlocked from them in less then 15 minutes, no hassle!
    Not for any carrier. iUnlockr only does AT&T. I am in japan with softbank. I haven't found a site to do unlocks for us yet.

  19. #19
    I have a question, After the phone is unlocked, can you bypass the initial activation after phone being reset or you still need the ATT sim, Also same question for Verizon if anyone knows.
    Thanks in advance.

  20. #20
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Chula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    789
    Thanks
    1,521
    Thanked 351 Times in 223 Posts

    I'm sending My Sprint iPhone 5 back and getting me an At&t one the only thing I want to ask can iphone 5 be use on prepaid if I'm gonna have to wait on Tmobile to fix the speed problem they have to make iphone compatible they said before the end of the year I'm crossing my fingers...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •