+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rise in Apple-Related Thefts Account for 14.4% of all Major Crime in NYC

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Rise in Apple-Related Thefts Account for 14.4% of all Major Crime in NYC

Apparently Apple releasing high-profile products consistently throughout the year creates headaches for the New York Police Department.

The NYPD revealed this week there were 11,447 recorded thefts of Apple products between Jan. 1 and Sept. 23 of 2012. This marks a 40 percent increase from last year, and represents 14.4 percent of all major crimes. The theft of Apple-related products rapid growth dwarfed the growth of other crimes including murder, rape and robbery, which increased four percent during the same period last year with 79,335 incidents.

"The increase in incidents involving the theft of Apple products exceeded the increase in overall crime incidents of crime by 265," an NYPD spokesman said. "As if to mirror the market place, thefts of Apple products increased this year as the theft of electronics by other manufacturers decreased."

To combat that rise of Apple-related thefts the NYPD has instituted an “Anti-Apple Picking Campaign” to coincide with the launch of the iPhone 5. As part of the campaign iPhone users can register their new phones with the NYPD’s free devices registering service Operation ID. The Operation ID program's aim is to help retrieve electronic items by registering a product's serial number and the owner’s corresponding personal information.

While the NYPD is taking steps to actively curb the increase in Apple thefts the policies will likely make little difference. More iDevices will be flooding the market this holiday season than ever before. And if Apple releases the iPad mini the streets will turn into an iDevice free-for-all.

Or maybe not.

Source: PC Mag [via AppleInsider]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Golfinglenn's Avatar
    Thanks

The theft of an apple product is classified as a major crime??? Give me a break lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why can't Apple block a stolen IMEI yet ? I tried getting my stolen ipad and iphones blocked, and its technically possible, but police and Apple say they don't do it :-( Ridiculous.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

People just need to setup Find My iPhone and get it back that way. A friend of mine had his iPhone stolen but the thief was smart enough to turn it off at first. But later that night he turned it back on and my friend saw which house it was at and went to the house with a cop and got his phone back.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It actually depends on your network either to block IMEI #. I know AT&T does it as they did mines when I reported my phone lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio6 View Post
    Why can't Apple block a stolen IMEI yet ? I tried getting my stolen ipad and iphones blocked, and its technically possible, but police and Apple say they don't do it :-( Ridiculous.

iPhone? More like MyPhone VerizonIphone4_help's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    People just need to setup Find My iPhone and get it back that way. A friend of mine had his iPhone stolen but the thief was smart enough to turn it off at first. But later that night he turned it back on and my friend saw which house it was at and went to the house with a cop and got his phone back.
    I believe a simply wipe will remove the associated apple ID and hence the ability to track with that app. I have a tweak which removes the powerdown feature (I use a activator gesture) so i don't think a thief would get very far with my iphone (as long as it had some battery life left!)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wait a minute... Is that Scott Forstall on the bike?! Lol