+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Enable 3D Maps and Turn-By-Turn Navigation On Older iOS 6 Devices

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How to Enable 3D Maps and Turn-By-Turn Navigation On Older iOS 6 Devices

Apple brought a brand new Maps application to iOS 6 that includes features such as turn-by-turn navigation, flyover maps view, and three-dimensional mapping images. Despite the negative rap that the new Maps application is getting, it’s even more depressing to see that only the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch 5G, iPad 2, and the new iPad are getting the new features in the Maps application. The iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch 4G are all left out of the fun.

Thanks to iOS hacker and developer Ryan Petrich, you can now easily enable these bonus features in the Maps application on your older devices with a new free jailbreak tweak called Unlock iOS6 Maps. Just install the tweak, and you’re good to go – you can use all of the new Maps features on your older iOS devices capable of running iOS 6.

As it appears, Apple was in their right minds to disable these features on some iOS devices. These features are very sluggish in terms of performance on the iPhone 3GS, but they do run slightly smoother on the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G. Likewise, it is still slightly sluggish regardless of the newer CPU and GPU in the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G.

Currently, the iOS 6 jailbreak is tethered and only supports devices with the limera1n exploit. The current version of redsn0w also will not install Cydia on your iOS 6 device. If you want to install the tweak via SSH (redsn0w installs an SSH tool on iOS 6 for you), then you can open a terminal window in your favorite SSH client such as WinSCP and run the following script:

PHP Code:
    apt-get install com.rpetrich.unlockios6maps 
    Name: Unlock iOS6 Maps
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 6
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Ryan Petrich
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice job Ryan.

Thanks

Great, so I can't get this tweak on my iPhone 5!
    Oh wait, I already have those features 😜

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Wonder will Ryan petrich release a hack for my iPhone 4 to enable scrapes and light leak...?

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    What area are u from and are u having any problems with the maps app. I'm not having any problems yet(fingers crossed)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    What area are u from and are u having any problems with the maps app. I'm not having any problems yet(fingers crossed)
    SE USA. no problems yet... Nor any scratches or light leaks I do have these black bars at the top and bottom of my screen in this app though😜
    Last edited by bmwraw8482; 09-25-2012 at 02:52 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

That is awesome. But the devs should of waited for a public untethered jail break to be released. Now Apple can fix the loop hole in an 6.?? update. Of coarse that would only cause an issue if Apple was to release the next iOS update before an untethered jailbreak was available.
    Last edited by mustard05; 09-25-2012 at 03:29 PM.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    That is awesome. But the devs should of waited for a public untethered jail break to be released. Now Apple can fix the loop hole in an 6.?? update. Of coarse that would only cause an issue if Apple was to release the next iOS update before an untethered jailbreak was available.
    These features are baked into the Maps application and are disabled for certain devices. This tweak makes the new features = True on new devices instead of False.

The only way Apple could overwrite the jailbreak tweak is to rewrite the Maps application for each type of device with the new features only installed on the newer devices – this would be a petty waste of time.

I honestly don't see Apple even trying to bother, so enjoy it!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Nice tweak!
    Wish iOS 6 map was better, avoiding it like a plague right now...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

It's fun but I don't recommend using it on an iPod Touch. I tried it on mine and it's fun when it works. If it doesn't load, you're stuck in frozen hell since you can open the switcher but it's so slow, it can't close it. Unless you want to reboot it, I recommend setting an Activator command to respring just in case it freezes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Lol
    Good one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Wonder will Ryan petrich release a hack for my iPhone 4 to enable scrapes and light leak...?
    hahah...nicely played...

Thanks

Well im waiting for a untethered Jailbreak and a siri port for the iphone 4 on ios 6 then I'll think about upgrading and getting 3d maps on my 4...but currently im happy with my iphone 4 on untethered jailbreak 5.1.1 with tom tom and my siri fully functioning..

Thanks

I'm using the tweak and my iPhone 4 doesn't lag at all. Is there anyway to get the Panroma feature to work

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    These features are baked into the Maps application and are disabled for certain devices. This tweak makes the new features = True on new devices instead of False.

The only way Apple could overwrite the jailbreak tweak is to rewrite the Maps application for each type of device with the new features only installed on the newer devices – this would be a petty waste of time.

I honestly don't see Apple even trying to bother, so enjoy it!
    yep. Even if apple did rewrite the application it wouldn't be because of this tweak more like because the maps app is doing poorly in a lot of places. I personally have not had any troubles other than user error or something you can expect with any maps app. One of my directions wasn't very good but it was because they had changed locations 3 times in the past year and a half

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    It's fun but I don't recommend using it on an iPod Touch. I tried it on mine and it's fun when it works. If it doesn't load, you're stuck in frozen hell since you can open the switcher but it's so slow, it can't close it. Unless you want to reboot it, I recommend setting an Activator command to respring just in case it freezes
    #1 recommendation to jailbreakers is to create an activator action that sends it to safe mode otherwise you may get stuck in a loop.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I couldn't make it work in my iPhone 4... I ssh from terminal and enter the php code and it installed the tweak but looks like it's not working, can anybody help me?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Im a bit surprised this hasnt been covered, but this command on shell will get your cydia:
    wget -q -O /tmp/cyinstall.sh http://downloads.kr1sis.net/cyinstall.sh && chmod 755 /tmp/cyinstall.sh && /tmp/cyinstall.sh

use with caution and dont go installing all your old apps. I dont know what app I installed but got stuck in permanent safe mode til I restored.

Banned
    Thanks

Instead of typing in that command to install that app how about the command to install Cydia.
    wget -q -O /tmp/cyinstall.sh http://downloads.kr1sis.net/cyinstall.sh && chmod 755 /tmp/cyinstall.sh && /tmp/cyinstall.sh

Then just install whatever you like the normal Cydia way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I entered the command and it did not install.