+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Phil Schiller Comments On iPhone 5 Scuffing Issues

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by DarkoNova Couldn't they just apply a clear coat to the aluminum? Or instead of anodizing it, they could powder coat it. Anodizing isn't the most reliable way
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoNova View Post
    Couldn't they just apply a clear coat to the aluminum? Or instead of anodizing it, they could powder coat it.

Anodizing isn't the most reliable way to coat something if it's going to see a lot of wear.
    Sure it is, when it comes to anodizing, it's sort of a stain that is applied to the metal. The question is how wel we're they anodized(not to well). At least not normal Apple quality hahaha. The powder coating might work but im not sure if the coat would be thick enough to protect it anymore and if it was it would be visual and the buttons might not work because they are literally almost touching the body thats how precise they are! were talking max 1 mm

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iphone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by laxmaster232 View Post
    Sure it is, when it comes to anodizing, it's sort of a stain that is applied to the metal. The question is how wel we're they anodized(not to well). At least not normal Apple quality hahaha. The powder coating might work but im not sure if the coat would be thick enough to protect it anymore and if it was it would be visual and the buttons might not work because they are literally almost touching the body thats how precise they are! were talking max 1 mm

just got my iphone 5 white is has mark on it what should i do

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,332 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skater411 View Post
    just got my iphone 5 white is has mark on it what should i do
    Take it back to apple or your store and replace it

Thanks
    Thanked 8,982 Times in 4,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smooth22 View Post
    Im cool..my iphone 4 don't have a scratch on it... because its scratch proof lol
    All iPhones have some minor scratches on the glass if you run 'naked' or just with a back cover. Gorilla glass is great and pretty resistant to major scratching- but not scratch "proof" as they claim. People don't know how to hold their phones on the correct angle in bright light or sunlight to be able to 'see' the surface of the phone and all the scratches. But I've proved it to scores of my friends that boast they don't have a single scratch. YES YOU DO!! I can prove it. :-) I will never again go without a glass shield like Invisishield (as I was challenged to do this summer with my 4S being assured if it stayed in my pocked it would NEVER scratch). I'm just too anal about my phone never having a single scratch (minor or otherwise). And even after only 3 weeks in my pocket LOTS a minor scratches appeared on the surface glass. I was sold a 'bill of goods' in forumland... :-( As I did a little more research I found that 'sand' is strong enough to scratch gorilla glass and that normal everyday lint and dust contains small amounts of sandy material that can scratch the gorilla glass. I should have known better after using a 'shield' since the first iPhone.

I would be totally incensed if my iP5 came out of the box with a scratch. But I would just go to the Apple Store to get it replaced. Very close to my house.

Quote Originally Posted by sungzilla View Post
    best solution from Apple...

for all black iPhone 5 users

free sharpie
    VERY FUNNY.. In a pinch - hell yeah... ;-)
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 09-26-2012 at 08:43 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got a black iphone 5. Stood in line for it on the 21st for 2 and a half hours. I have taken it back a total of 4 times now. Each one of my phones have been scuffed. The first one I got had 8 scuffs on it. I deliberately bought it from Apple because I figured there would be problems with them, so that allows for an easy return. I'm on my 4th one now and it is still scuffed. It's not bad though. I doubt I'll take it in for another one as I have just about gave up. Each time I go to Apple it's a 45 minute drive there and 45 minutes back. They will exchange it as many times as you want. I still may take it back and get a white one but I think it will be scuffed too. I made them go through four phones at the genius bar until one suited me. All 4 had scuffs but I picked the best one. I'm either going to just forget about it or I'm going to wait a month or so and see if they are getting better at making them. I know the ones on display at the Apple store looked horrible.

I've had my iphone 4 since July 2010 and it's never been in a case and to this day it still does not have one mark on it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ukblake View Post
    I got a black iphone 5. Stood in line for it on the 21st for 2 and a half hours. I have taken it back a total of 4 times now. Each one of my phones have been scuffed. The first one I got had 8 scuffs on it. I deliberately bought it from Apple because I figured there would be problems with them, so that allows for an easy return. I'm on my 4th one now and it is still scuffed. It's not bad though. I doubt I'll take it in for another one as I have just about gave up. Each time I go to Apple it's a 45 minute drive there and 45 minutes back. They will exchange it as many times as you want. I still may take it back and get a white one but I think it will be scuffed too. I made them go through four phones at the genius bar until one suited me. All 4 had scuffs but I picked the best one. I'm either going to just forget about it or I'm going to wait a month or so and see if they are getting better at making them. I know the ones on display at the Apple store looked horrible.

I've had my iphone 4 since July 2010 and it's never been in a case and to this day it still does not have one mark on it.

yeah it ******** pay that much money to get a phone scartch up not right apple better do the right thing i think they should allow us to upgrade are gb for free seen are phone are screw up

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah it ******** pay that much money to get a phone scartch up not right apple better do the right thing i think they should allow us to upgrade are gb for free seen are phone are screw up
    English please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
    English please?
    Lol i think he wrote sucks *** to pay that much money to get a phone thats (scratched) up and apple better allow us to upgrade the (GB) for free (since) the phones are screw ups.... lol never heard of that but okay

Green Apple
    Thanks

Meh i preordered mine and got it 2 nicks out of the box and ive been calling apple care forever and apple care employees suck. Customer service made my pants sad.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

stop thinking you are entitled! our society stinks of this!
    Last edited by Satone; 09-26-2012 at 02:54 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Take it back to apple or your store and replace it
    You need to wait at least a month before they have them in stock again lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    You need to wait at least a month before they have them in stock again lol.
    Not really. They have units in store meant for exchange purposes. A fellow mod on here ran into the scuff issue with out of box items and he had to visit different apple stores til he finally got one. They opened boxes right there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To be fair to Phil, the customer's email seems to imply he's noticing the scuff marks as time goes on... If it was right out of the box, I would have said so.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ChoiseS... asking for a replacement at local operator and wait 8 weeks or so again . or just ignore blemishes/scuffs

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234