+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google's Eric Schmidt Comments On Apple's iOS 6 Maps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 787 Posts

Default Google's Eric Schmidt Comments On Apple's iOS 6 Maps

Apple is certainly an easy target right now because of their worldwide issues with the new iOS 6 Maps application, which uses TomTom’s mapping technology instead of Google’s mapping technology like it did in iOS 5 and earlier. Apple has been under fire about their Maps application since the public launch, dealing with complaints from uses about accuracy, detail, and rendering issues. Apple has even gone as far as hiring ex-Google Maps employees to help fix the problem.

Apart from hearing Google’s Dan Cobley saying users should use Google Maps instead, as well as just today hearing Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak say he was disappointed with Apple’s new Maps application, Google chairman Eric Schmidt has also made an attempt to be heard about the situation with Apple's new mapping technology in the iOS 6 Maps application. He is quoted as saying:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmidt
    We think it would have been better if they had kept ours. But what do I know? What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It's their call.
    Schmidt appears to be taking a nonchalant stance from the situation, having fun watching Apple’s Maps application take the heat. After all, it makes Google’s mapping solution look better to the public. Google’s Schmidt also stated that he doesn’t want to make any predictions on what Apple is going to do as far as keeping their current technology or going back to Google for a mapping solution, although he certainly welcomes the partnership. Schmidt leaves the heated users for Apple to deal with.

Sources: AppleInsider

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Except they couldn't use your Maps! I've been posting this around quite a bit & might as well add it here. There are 2 likely reasons why Apple went with their own maps.

1. Google changed the way mapping data could be licensed so that no one else can use Google maps for Navigation except Google. Just how would Apple improve their maps without this ability? Here's a link to the Maps License See section 4.1, "g" for the exact wording.
    2. Google decided to crazily increase costs to use their maps & then, when many companies decided to bail, they lowered the cost again. I think a lot of companies, Apple included, didn't want to be held hostage like that. Check out this article for more info about why a bunch of companies left Google Maps. Why are companies defecting from Google Maps? | Digital Trends

Basically, there wasn't a lot Apple could do to keep Google Maps & at the same time try to bring feature parity with the version of Google Maps on Android phones. But hey, let's all just blame Apple right? These 2 companies are in a pissing match against each other & because of that we all lose something.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tario70 For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (09-25-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Tario70 is dead on, if everyone would get over the who's phone is better, bottom line it's all about us as consumers. It is all about licensing and cost. For me, the map app works fine for me, I've seen no issues and I travel quite a bit. Do away with the law suits and innovate!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    Except they couldn't use your Maps! I've been posting this around quite a bit & might as well add it here. There are 2 likely reasons why Apple went with their own maps.

1. Google changed the way mapping data could be licensed so that no one else can use Google maps for Navigation except Google. Just how would Apple improve their maps without this ability? Here's a link to the Maps License See section 4.1, "g" for the exact wording.
    2. Google decided to crazily increase costs to use their maps & then, when many companies decided to bail, they lowered the cost again. I think a lot of companies, Apple included, didn't want to be held hostage like that. Check out this article for more info about why a bunch of companies left Google Maps. Why are companies defecting from Google Maps? | Digital Trends

Basically, there wasn't a lot Apple could do to keep Google Maps & at the same time try to bring feature parity with the version of Google Maps on Android phones. But hey, let's all just blame Apple right? These 2 companies are in a pissing match against each other & because of that we all lose something.

Thanks for pointing that out! This makes a lot more sense now ha

Green Apple
    Thanks

These 2 companies are in a pissing match against each other & because of that we all lose something.
    ORR We all lose something now, but gain in the long run. If google's going to pull crap like this, eventually, other services that are better will mature.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Eifffel Tower is colapsed
    Search for Eiffel Tower and Golden Gate Bridge to name two of the embarrassment with new iOS6. The freeway is missing just north of the Golden Gate, and the Eiffel Tower is collapsed!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruslan120 View Post
    ORR We all lose something now, but gain in the long run. If google's going to pull crap like this, eventually, other services that are better will mature.
    I hope we gain in the long run, but in actuality we just have yet another private company that has control of yet another mapping solution. It'd be nice if there was some public mapping solution everyone could draw from, but you know, Profit Profit Profit...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raxal View Post
    Search for Eiffel Tower and Golden Gate Bridge to name two of the embarrassment with new iOS6. The freeway is missing just north of the Golden Gate, and the Eiffel Tower is collapsed!
    WHO CARES. It's not perfect! You get people in scuba gear on Google Maps!

Not an Apple fanboy. Just saying you guys are expecting so much of such an immature service.

I hope we gain in the long run, but in actuality we just have yet another private company that has control of yet another mapping solution. It'd be nice if there was some public mapping solution everyone could draw from, but you know, Profit Profit Profit...
    Make one!

Capitalism baby

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

just for your info thats called a tunnel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

It is a brand new market for Apple. Just as it was for Google. Google maps did not launch exactly as it is today. It takes time and I bet Apple will be all over fixing it through the years and perfecting it.

As the first comment stated companies got tired of paying Google when some of them have their own money to use and try to build onto themself.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

also the eiffle tower just hasnt been rendered in 3d yet, your not gonna get any better with google in satellite view, do a little search on your own before you make yourself sound dumb

Thanks

I agree, I just wished Apple had "polished" their maps alot more before releasing it. It seems like another "beta" situation like Siri! With that said, either way it goes, Apple needs to update their map solution and do so as a application update instead of an OS update. That is one thing Google does well in the maps department, they update often and not just when a new OS is being released.
    I am the Vincent (Vital Information Necessary Centralized) iPhone.

When I am moody I am the Hal iPhone 9000 lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sobeniceguy2 View Post
    I agree, I just wished Apple had "polished" their maps alot more before releasing it. It seems like another "beta" situation like Siri! With that said, either way it goes, Apple needs to update their map solution and do so as a application update instead of an OS update. That is one thing Google does well in the maps department, they update often and not just when a new OS is being released.
    Based on what I've read, Apple designed their map so that all you have on iOS is a front end to their map data. This means updates can be done on Apple's end for many things without the need to update the App itself. Until Apple allows users to "select" our apps for specific uses, I can't see them releasing Maps as a standalone app.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

I am speechless that an actual WELL thought out response to a post was listed here on modmyi. Tario, I would like to thank and applaud you. I think it is also funny that no one else has responded to you yet.

I personally very rarely use the maps on iOS as my car came with GPS. I only really use it to check traffic every now and then, I can say that the iOS 6 Maps app is extremely lacking in that front. Otherwise, I can't really complain.
    2012 B8 Audi //S4
    -Cliff
    [CENTER]DISCLAIMER: ASSUME THE ABOVE WAS POSTED AS A SMART A55 COMMENT UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PSYC0TIC ONE For This Useful Post:

Tario70 (09-26-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSYC0TIC ONE View Post
    I am speechless that an actual WELL thought out response to a post was listed here on modmyi. Tario, I would like to thank and applaud you. I think it is also funny that no one else has responded to you yet.

I personally very rarely use the maps on iOS as my car came with GPS. I only really use it to check traffic every now and then, I can say that the iOS 6 Maps app is extremely lacking in that front. Otherwise, I can't really complain.
    & you wouldn't believe how many places I've posted these exact same points & been ignored. I had hoped Modymyi would take my info & post a story about it instead of fanning the flames with the "Apple had 1 more year left in their contract with Google Maps" story. I think it would be great if a place like Engadget or Gizmodo would actually do some investigative reporting on the issue instead of jumping on the bandwagon.

As I said above, it's not an excuse for the issues Apples Maps have, but it is an explanation. It also explains why they couldn't just keep Google Maps for 1 more year. Google continues to make their navigation/maps app better while Apple's version remained stagnant and Apple had to do something. Was this the right decision? Based on the changes Google made, the only other option would have to been to include both this last year, but I'm sure design-wise it could have been confusing for many users (of course there are ways to mitigate that).

Thanks

This maps fiasco makes it far more likely that my next phone will be an Android device. Google Maps was very good, Apple Maps is virtually useless (outside the USA). I will certainly be looking at Android (and Win8) phones. I do not want to have to wait years for them to get up to what I had.
    I am not updating my iPad because of this but already iMovies update won't install because I'm not on iOS6.
    Last edited by confucious; 09-26-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks