+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wozniak Admits Disappointment with Apple Maps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Wozniak Admits Disappointment with Apple Maps

It certainly isn't the shining star of iOS 6, but Apple Maps isn't that bad. At least that's according to Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, who is opening up about the platform Apple used to replace Google Maps in its most recent mobile operating system refresh.

While addressing a conference in Sydney, Australia this week, Wozniak candidly admitted that he didn't immediately fall in love with Apple's revamped mapping service.

"I tried to navigate somewhere, and I couldn't get to where I wanted to by voice," Wozniak said, according to ZDNET. "So, I was a little disappointed, because I love navigation by voice with my Google [Android] phones, actually, since they always get it and are based on a better database."

All told, Wozniak is just the latest high-profile industry veteran to express some degree of disappointment with Apple Maps. But the Apple co-founder is also quick to point out that Apple didn't botch anything too badly. "I have been reading about the problems, and I don't know if they are that severe," Wozniak added.

"Sometimes, there are a lot of complaints about one little thing people spot, but it's not that hard to deal with in life," Wozniak concluded. "I don't know yet about Maps I'm a little worried about the navigation, but I've still got it covered with a bunch of other navigation apps."

Source: ZDNET

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Wozniak > Steve

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Airwaves182 For This Useful Post:

Gamemaster77 (09-25-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

Why isn't he in charge of Apple? He sounds like a smart man.
    I've seen a few things he's said and he's down to earth and its not all in his head like jobs was.
    If he was in charge we would all have an awesome iPhone instead of the piece of crap you got now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I've seen a few things he's said and he's down to earth and its not all in his head like jobs was.
    If he was in charge we would all have an awesome iPhone instead of the piece of crap you got now.
    Cause he doesnt want to be in charge, not his cup of tea.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

are you kidding me?
    A turn by turn navigation system that does not get you to where you want to go is "not that bad"? Tell me what does a navigation system is suppose to do then? Get you lost?

Thanks

He is a very smart man!!! He stated he uses Google (ANDROID) devices

Thanks

Can't wait for all the iBots to accuse The Woz of being a dirty android fanboy troll for not being utterly enamored with all things Apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmazz73 View Post
    Yeah right

Here is where he diminishes remarkably Android prefering a Nokia over an Android

Steve Wozniak prefers Windows Phone more than Android | Ubergizmo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmazz73 View Post
    He uses both iPhone and Android, he got a android phone so he could modify and tweak it, he was told off by Apple after it was found out that he jailbroke his iPhone. So now he has an iPhone for work and an Android for fun.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i113 View Post
    Can't wait for all the iBots to accuse The Woz of being a dirty android fanboy troll for not being utterly enamored with all things Apple.

What are you going to say when no one replies in that manner?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,117 Times in 2,706 Posts

Woz is an engineer, not a marketing guy. He doesn't care about the propaganda politics and he plays with any geek toy available. But don't be fooled. He's worth almost a billion because of Apple, he ain't no fool.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    are you kidding me?
    A turn by turn navigation system that does not get you to where you want to go is "not that bad"? Tell me what does a navigation system is suppose to do then? Get you lost?
    It isn't, most people use their phones to talk, text, surf the net and post on Facebook. Those are the main things. Apple definitely needs to improve, but some of the fallout is exaggerated. They'll improve it, that'll be that.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,056 Times in 1,696 Posts

It should have never been released in its current form is the point. I'm all for apple releasing their own in house products if they measure up, but this was a huge mistake on their part.

Thanks

What piece of crap are u referring to? I'd point to user error in many of the maps problems... Just due to the fact that we are all getting used to a new service ...as far as being a phone, the iPhone 5 is absolutely amazing. And the screen...WOW

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    He uses both iPhone and Android, he got a android phone so he could modify and tweak it, he was told off by Apple after it was found out that he jailbroke his iPhone. So now he has an iPhone for work and an Android for fun.
    He got in trouble for jailbreaking? lmfao hahah. This guys is the best.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    What piece of crap are u referring to? I'd point to user error in many of the maps problems... Just due to the fact that we are all getting used to a new service ...as far as being a phone, the iPhone 5 is absolutely amazing. And the screen...WOW
    Getting used to a new service?
    Eh.... No. I search for my home address in google maps and it returns a result within meters. The exact same search in iOS 6 Maps returns somewhere in Australia....

Did I mention my home is in Ireland? Not 10,000 miles east or west like iOS 6 maps puts it.

Business are mislabeled, towns are misnamed, directions seem tailored for the longest possible route...nice for Taxi drivers trying to bump up a fare but not for the general user.

And the TomTom standalone app is fine which boggles the mind that Apple managed to break their data.

That's not "user error", that's simply a bad app made by Apple.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    It isn't, most people use their phones to talk, text, surf the net and post on Facebook. Those are the main things. Apple definitely needs to improve, but some of the fallout is exaggerated. They'll improve it, that'll be that.
    Everyone who bought an iPhone have used maps, saying they don't is just delusional. As for being exaggerated... A billionaire that made money from Apple saying the maps is not working, that is saying something.
    BTW if iPhone is only meant to do calls, text, surf net etc, maps would not be included since iPhone 1. If iPhone is not to have Nav they should have left it off of the iPhone 5. This is just another "beta" test on consumers instead of Siri it is now Apple's maps...
    Last edited by unison999; 09-25-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks

I'm in California and haven't had a single problem with the maps app. I have been very pleased with its performance. I especially like that you can turn the screen off and, as you approach your next turn 1 or 2 miles in advance, the screen will turn on and tell you it's coming.

Thanks

I did say many of the problems, not all, or even most of them... And I can only speak for the US of course cuz it works just fine for me. Since there are other map solutions than the stock map app, it's still an amazing device. With all of the other ios6 features it's still worth upgrading. For instance, with the new VIP email feature I actually use the mail app finally. On the other hand, who even uses apps like weather or stocks (not the widgets)? nobody, because there are better ways to get that info.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i113 View Post
    I think it's pretty cool that he uses Android phones. I've been on the iPhone platform for over two years now, tried Android and not really to my liking but I don't think Apple is the be-all, end-all without flaw. They make mistakes, their devices are not perfect, nor are Android devices by any manufacturer. It makes sense that an intelligent man like Woz would use different kind of devices.
    Off the Dial
    iPhone 5S 16GB
    iPad Air 32GB
    Apple MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.5 13", 4GB RAM, 1TB Hybrid Drive
    80GB iPod Classic