+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wi-Fi Speed and Connectivity Issues Plague Some iPhone 5 Users

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Wi-Fi Speed and Connectivity Issues Plague Some iPhone 5 Users

As more consumers tend to get their hands on an iPhone 5, more issues seem to be surfacing with the device. New reports are coming in of customers having a problem with the iPhone 5ís Wi-Fi connectivity. Many users are continually complaining about slow to no Wi-Fi connectivity while others are reporting simply slower-than-normal activity on the device. Users have been able to isolate their problem to when they connect to WPA2 encrypted Wi-Fi routers and found that moving to the much less secure WEP encryption or being unprotected can help resolve the issue for now.

Since most Apple stores have unprotected Wi-Fi, the issue may not show up at all in-store. While some users said getting a replacement from Apple fixed the issue, others are reporting no success after getting a replacement unit either. It should be noted that there may be multiple Wi-Fi related issues that could be affecting users. Threads on the Apple discussion forums reflect the same issues among many customers.

One Apple forum goer received confirmation from AppleCare that Apple seems to be aware of the issue but does not have a resolution available yet. He mentioned the following:

Just spoke with iPhone AppleCare and they are definitely aware of the problem and Apple engineers are working on it. I asked if it was hardware or software related and she said the WPA2 issue seems to be software based and the non-connecting issue may be hardware based, but that they are still trying to identify the cause.
    According to the AppleCare representative, the issue is still being worked on and seems to only affect a small minority of iPhone 5 owners.

Have any of you experienced any issues with your Wi-Fi connectivity on your iPhone 5?

Source: Apple Discussion Forums (1) (2) via MacRumors

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

This is why people should have waited for the 5s. They never have problems when the s version is released (except maybe battery life which is also crappy in the 5). That's what I did for the 4 and may do for the 5 if I even upgrade to an iPhone. I'll probably switch to Samsung because the bigger screen from apple just sucks. I'd rather have a crash happy droid than an all around crappy iPhone.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,056 Times in 1,696 Posts

The only advantage I saw in the 5 over my 4 was the camera which I could get in a 4s and the processor which is superfast. The issues with fit and finish, maps and screens are enough but factor in sub par wi-fi now too. I can't see a software issue considering nothing else on ios6 is having the issue.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    This is why people should have waited for the 5s. They never have problems when the s version is released (except maybe battery life which is also crappy in the 5). That's what I did for the 4 and may do for the 5 if I even upgrade to an iPhone. I'll probably switch to Samsung because the bigger screen from apple just sucks. I'd rather have a crash happy droid than an all around crappy iPhone.
    Bet you'd be surprised how little a good Android phone actually crashes.

Why does Apple have so many problems with Wi-Fi in their devices lately?
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why do people insist on coming to an iphone based forum to leave negative comments about apple products. I wouldn't even consider visiting an android forum to bash on their phones. If anyone truly believes the iphone 5 isn't worthy enough to be in their pocket, they're mistaken.

Please note, that I have nothing bad to say about Samsung or their products, but apple in my humble opinion makes an unresistable product where it's quality is unmatched.

The iPhone 5 is the only phone I'll want or need until the next generation is released. No wifi or cellular connectivity issues for me.

Thanks

No wifi speed problems here thats for sure. Safari is just speedy all around! And as a matter of fact i just speed tested an LTE spot in sac and its actually faster than my comcast wifi at home. Personally i love my new iP5! And i upgraded from a 4S which was also a great phone. And on a side note i think the new maps is awesome. I used it yesterday and its 100% times better than that crappy old google maps that used to come standard on iOS. It was accurate and the interface was easy to use. I love the fact that it shows on the lock screen and i love the fact that once you exit the app it lets you tap the status bar to return to it, similar to when you hit the home button in a phone call. I dont know what all the complaints are about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    The only advantage I saw in the 5 over my 4 was the camera which I could get in a 4s and the processor which is superfast. The issues with fit and finish, maps and screens are enough but factor in sub par wi-fi now too. I can't see a software issue considering nothing else on ios6 is having the issue.

Different hardware can respond differently to iOS 6 or any software for that matter.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

At some moments I think it's having problems and then at others I think it's not. I need some more time to try it on other networks I guess. The LTE is amazing! haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    No wifi speed problems here thats for sure. Safari is just speedy all around! And as a matter of fact i just speed tested an LTE spot in sac and its actually faster than my comcast wifi at home. Personally i love my new iP5! And i upgraded from a 4S which was also a great phone. And on a side note i think the new maps is awesome. I used it yesterday and its 100% times better than that crappy old google maps that used to come standard on iOS. It was accurate and the interface was easy to use. I love the fact that it shows on the lock screen and i love the fact that once you exit the app it lets you tap the status bar to return to it, similar to when you hit the home button in a phone call. I dont know what all the complaints are about.
    You forgot to mention how fast the phone processes everything. I can also say with confidence that LTE has been faster than my Comcast cable connection. I've seen users post speeds of over 60 MBs..

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

41.99 megs download 6 Megs upload on my iP5 with Apple router, secured...no problems here!!
    Last edited by mbeezy81; 09-24-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What is so crappy about the 5's battery life? I've been getting over 10 hours of full use out of the battery and 24 hours between charges. And seems like the reviews are even showing better than that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meatholes View Post
    Why do people insist on coming to an iphone based forum to leave negative comments about apple products. I wouldn't even consider visiting an android forum to bash on their phones. If anyone truly believes the iphone 5 isn't worthy enough to be in their pocket, they're mistaken.

Please note, that I have nothing bad to say about Samsung or their products, but apple in my humble opinion makes an unresistable product where it's quality is unmatched.

The iPhone 5 is the only phone I'll want or need until the next generation is released. No wifi or cellular connectivity issues for me.
    This isn't an Apple love site. I bash Apple for stuff all the time on here, doesn't mean I'm an Android Fanboy. In fact I've never used an Android phone. This is an Apple and jailbreak news site. I go on here because I have an iPod Touch and like to follow Apple. If Apple does something I don't like, I might comment on it. Simple as that.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    You know what's crazy? I'm having major wifi issues on my 4s with ios6, I am sure the issue is software related as my 4s was doing perfectly fine before I upgraded. I can also tell you that I always choose the restore method over the update method as I've found that alone eliminates half of the average bugs found after a new upgrade with most systems.

Thanks

If it's just wifi I don't see much of a problem unless you have a really low data plan.

Thanks

So far im loving my iphone 5, no problems at all.. Wifi works well and lte works way faster. I would say everything is running smooth and fast just as i expected. If your waiting for 5s then you might as well wait for iphone 6.. Or 6s or 7 maybe..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

You know they say ignorance is bliss.

Gotta love people like you that write on things they don't know about. Guess what. When the 4s came out the only thing not changed was the screen an appearance. So it was still a full hardware change.

It's a brand new product. And most Likely a software issue. We all know android has no software issues. Lmao.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

why are people assuming there will always be a new one with the s on it? People keep getting the wrong ideas... Like when people said it would be the iPhone 6..

Apple isn't trying to not be successful and not make major differences every year! Just cause they happened too does mean they are going too!

The battery life is not crappy in the iPhone 5! I have used lte on mine constantly and it lasted for like 5+hours!!!!!!!

I don't blame anyone for switching to droids considering apple really hasn't been trying hard! However I stick with apple because of all my digital merchandise! Droids need an iTunes before I switch

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I hated the 4s upgrade over the iPhone 4, but so far I'm happy with the i5. The only problem I'm having, is the 4g (non lte) is slower than my old 3G speeds. I don't have lte where I live or work.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I hated the 4s upgrade over the iPhone 4, but so far I'm happy with the i5. The only problem I'm having, is the 4g (non lte) is slower than my old 3G speeds. I don't have lte where I live or work.
    There is no way I would have switched from my 4s if I did not get LTE in my area, that was my selling point and I think it was most everyone else's. 4" screen? I don't think that was a big deal for ppl that have had other iphone for the fact they would have switched around 4 or 4s.
    I noticed slow speeds while at my in laws house, they have WEP as well and seemed sluggish but didn't do any speed tests will try next time I'm there. I'm trying to use all the LTE i can so I can be throttled, would like to find out what my throttled speed will be like.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have WiFi problems in my iPad LTE running OS 6, first right after restore, it connected to my router, and then in few min, connection was lost, had to reboot the iPad, after that worked fine for a while, and now internet speed drops sometimes, to nothing and in a few goes back to normal.

Also, i noticed battery life is shorter with OS 6.
    And issues with appstore, kinda slower now.