+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 Launch Sales said to be Lower Than Expected due to Limited Supply

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default iPhone 5 Launch Sales said to be Lower Than Expected due to Limited Supply

Although sales of the iPhone 5 broke records over its launch weekend, the 5 million units sold by Apple came in below Wall Street expectations as the company’s limited supply wasn’t able to keep up with the considerable demand. Analyst Gene Munster wit Piper Jaffray said the sales shortfall is partially because and other analysts assumed that Apple’s sales figures would include all phones that were pre-ordered online. According to him, that number would add up to a million additional units to the total sales, as the company quickly sold out of launch day stock.

Munster continued by saying that Apple may have rationed some of its iPhone 5 supply for the device’s launch in 22 additional countries this Friday. Brian Marshall with the ISI Group also mentioned that Apple’s sales figures don’t take into consideration the units that are en route to customers already. He said Apple must have the signature of acceptance by a customer before the device can be counted as a sale. This being the cause, Marshall also believes there could be millions of iPhone 5 units in transit to customers which would further boost Apple’s sales.

Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets is also not concerned about Apple’s sales in the first three days. He said the shortfall is due to supply availability and the fact that many customers opted to preorder online are still awaiting their handset. White wrote the following:

We remain aggressive buyers of Apple on any weakness in the stock this morning as we believe Apple has another blockbuster on its hands with the iPhone 5 and we expect the 'iPad mini' to launch in the coming weeks.
    It is believed that Apple will be able to achieve a balance in supply and demand by the end of the December quarter. As a result, he said he remains comfortable with his projection of 49 million iPhone sales in the holiday shopping period.

Regardless if the numbers matched analyst expectations or not, the iPhone 5 has seen the most successful launch of any iDevice to date and it is projected to do well going forward as well.

Source: AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks
    you'd think with this success that Apple would do a little something for its consumers

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Bull S@#*, lower than expected. Go get real jobs......

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 732 Posts

Oh lower sales? Tell me more how revolutionary this iPhone is to the last one lol sorry had too. Don't worry I'll get the iPhone 5 eventually

Green Apple
    Thanks

95% consumers will hold the device and say "it's totally different. I want one" therefore, it should be fine.

Thanks

I got mine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If the sales were LOWER than expected, then Why the hell am I and countless other people STILL waiting for our phones to be delivered??

Thanks

X2 My son says it would have been quicker to wait after launch and just go in and buy one. Going to be a LATE birthday gift for him. :-/

Thanks

Apple has been playing this game since the launch of the iPhone come on! Gimmicks!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,856 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fatalcrixer View Post
    Apple has been playing this game since the launch of the iPhone come on! Gimmicks!!!!!!
    Yeah it's such a gimmick that they sold 2x as many ore orders as last years. And sold what 5 million more in less than three days after the opening.

Your right it's just a gimmick. Haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone starkall's Avatar
    Thanks

Wasn't it launched with more carriers and in more countries this year? That's obviously going to increase sales.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

I got mine 9am launch day. Preordered 5 minutes after it went on sale.
    The UPS lady that delivered it drove up to my house honking her horn, jumped out of the truck and burst out: your new phone is here!
    It was truly an event.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    I got mine 9am launch day. Preordered 5 minutes after it went on sale.
    The UPS lady that delivered it drove up to my house honking her horn, jumped out of the truck and burst out: your new phone is here!
    It was truly an event.
    Nevermind an unboxing video, delivery video of that would have been nice!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adsn76 View Post
    you'd think with this success that Apple would do a little something for its consumers
    What would you expect apple to do? pull extra screens out of its ***? this was reported about 1-2 mnths ago that sharp was unable to meet the quantity of screens that apple requested for the initial release of iphones so there would less phones available. This is old news and yet people are shocked now or say apple is holding back to boost demand.

Quote Originally Posted by adsn76 View Post
    And what would that something be? Maybe apple could cast a iphone 5 conjure spell to magically make some more iphones appear. The shortage was known about 1-2 mnths ago. Sharp reported that they couldn't meet the order for the screens that apple requested due to some manufacturing issues.
    Last edited by tallnatt; 09-25-2012 at 08:32 AM.