+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Hacker Ryan Petrich Ports Old Google-Powered Maps App to iOS 6

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple is most likely allowing the phones to be Jailbroken from now on seeing as most of their new features are based off of the ideas of the Jailbreak community.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple is most likely allowing the phones to be Jailbroken from now on seeing as most of their new features are based off of the ideas of the Jailbreak community. Probably their version of payback.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I've used the iOS 6 maps several times in Alabama and it's taken me directly to the right spot every single time...and being able to speak my destination to the phone makes it MUCH more preferable than my other turn-by-turn app, Navigon. I have a feeling it's not as bad as the media wants you to believe....just like the whole antenna crap when the iPhone 4 was first released.

And if Tom Tom really is as bad as everyone says then they would have gone out of business long ago.
    +1

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JP72 View Post
    Apple is most likely allowing the phones to be Jailbroken from now on seeing as most of their new features are based off of the ideas of the Jailbreak community. Probably their version of payback.
    Wonder if that's true. Hence the do not disturb toggle in iOS 6. Looks familiar also isn't the apple map app. A cloud based map service they said the more people that use it the better it will get. I haven't had any problems yet until I go on a big trip and end up in nowhere.good work to Ryan.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I just hope Google releases a Google Maps app soon as they did with the YouTube app. Also hope we get an iPhone 5 JB soon instead of months like it took the 4S.

Thanks

Would there not a copy right issue here?? As apple would have had a contract to use google maps as it has a charge per 1000 uses sorta rule!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjh76 View Post
    Not if your on a iPhone 4, no turn by turn for me
    Thats why I say that IOS6 on iPhone 4 is a downgrade as you loose more features than you would gain.

Again Apple are forcing you to upgrade your IOS and hardware at the same time by removing features from the older models.
    There is no reason why the iPhone 4 doesn't have Siri, 3D maps and turn by turn but Apple just refuse for it to work in iPhone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    I just hope Google releases a Google Maps app soon as they did with the YouTube app. Also hope we get an iPhone 5 JB soon instead of months like it took the 4S.
    Same here. If it was shown that it can be done this fast. Hopefully it should be a couple weeks away. A lot of tweaks I'm starting to miss since selling my 4s.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    anthony turn by turn dont mean **** if its to the wrong place cmon man use some sense
    I have been using iOS 6 Maps since the first beta release and I have not had any issues getting from point A to point B with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I've used the iOS 6 maps several times in Alabama and it's taken me directly to the right spot every single time...and being able to speak my destination to the phone makes it MUCH more preferable than my other turn-by-turn app, Navigon. I have a feeling it's not as bad as the media wants you to believe....just like the whole antenna crap when the iPhone 4 was first released.

And if Tom Tom really is as bad as everyone says then they would have gone out of business long ago.
    If you are in the USA Apple maps are, apparently, not that bad (I trust you never use StreetView though) but outside of the USA they are truly awful and on the iPhone 4, they are even worse as we don't get the new features and lose not only StreetView and have lost satellite view over vast swathes of England together with finding that some towns have moved....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    If you are in the USA Apple maps are, apparently, not that bad (I trust you never use StreetView though) but outside of the USA they are truly awful and on the iPhone 4, they are even worse as we don't get the new features and lose not only StreetView and have lost satellite view over vast swathes of England together with finding that some towns have moved....
    So they are basing the whole iOS map app being bad. Since it doesn't work great out of the USA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    So they are basing the whole iOS map app being bad. Since it doesn't work great out of the USA.
    I believe there are some problems in the USA as well, but outside the USA it is somewhat a sick joke.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Banned
    Thanks

I just read on a console forum that Google has submitted Google Maps to the App Store.
    Lets see what happens. Will Apple reject it or not?

Google, I hear from roundabout sources, is enjoying the bad press Apple is suffering. It would be surprising if its mappers could resist some schadenfreude, since they are very proud of their work; having it rejected wholesale must be galling.

The same sources say that Google is preparing a Google Maps app for iOS6, which will appear in time. No official statement has been made and there will inevitably be questions over whether Apple will approve it in the App Store. (Apple might not, on the basis that it "competes with existing functionality", but would invite a further backlash if it did.)
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 09-24-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Now if only someone would put Podcasts back into the iPod App. Why I now need a separate Podcasts App is beyond me...

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I just read on a console forum that Google has submitted Google Maps to the App Store.
    I can't see Apple rejecting Google Maps, otherwise they would have to remove all the other navigation apps from the app store.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe it was further debunked and that Google had never submitted a Google Maps application.

That's not to say that they don't plan to.

Thanks

Hopefully it gets approved. It was pretty sweet they should have kept it and just added turn by turn but the license was up. We will see.....

Banned
    Thanks

With the amount of Map apps already in the App Store and 99% of them run on Google Maps I highly doubt they will reject it or they will have to remove all the current map apps if they do.
    Some of those map apps already say they are getting fixes for IOS6 and they are running Google Maps.
    One even boasts of bringing back StreetView to IOS6.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Siri turn by turn and Google Maps, perfect together! Now stop the nonsense Apple and like Antenna-gate provide a fix for the customers you value so much. This would actually be easier since it is software and not a hardware fix (i.e. iP4 to iP4 CDMA & iP4S). Sayin...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Waze, is absolutely amazing.. Voice nav, and she even alerts me when cars will be on the shoulder and when Ill be passing cops.. Both times exactly dead on.. All around, awesome app, plus it is FREE!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Good to hear. I haven't "upgraded" to iOS6 yet because I don't want to lose my jailbreak. I'd rather have my phone the way it is. In my experience, the Apple Maps suck and I am in the US. I did the software upgrade on my ex's phone a few days ago and messed around with the maps. The only thing cool about it was the 3D fly by view but what good is that really other than something neat to look at? She was going to a wedding and it brought her 30 minutes away from where she should have been and ended up being late for the wedding.

Ryan is the man! I'm not "upgrading" until there is an untethered jailbreak and that the majority of my tweaks will be compatible with the new OS.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have no problems with my exact location... But the maps are sooo ugly... I used to love street view :-(