+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Motorola's Ad Campaign Boasts Improved Maps App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Motorola's Ad Campaign Boasts Improved Maps App

As many of you already know, Apple has been in the spotlight regarding its new Maps application. The company recently released iOS 6, the latest update to its mobile operating system, which features the new in-house Google Maps replacement application. The new app has been plagued with inaccuracies and missing features that have spawned a number of parody Tumblr and Twitter accounts, alongside quite the uproar in the tech world. Turns out Motorola is looking to capitalize on the criticism that the Cupertino California company is receiving with its new “iLost” ad.

According to the folks over at Android Central, the new advertisement popped up recently on Motorola’s Google+ page, pointing out the features that the iPhone 5 and Motorola’s new Droid RAZR M have. Amongst the features are the smartphone’s respective Maps app trying to point out that Apple’s looks inferior. The message even went as far as saying the following:

“Looking for 315 E 15th in Manhattan? Google Maps on DROID RAZR M will get you there & not #iLost in Brooklyn.
    The real world that’s fit for your hand”
    As of right now, it isn’t hard to see that Apple’s Maps app is ages behind the accuracy and polish that Google provides. It is also expected as Google has been doing this for 7 years and has thousands of people on its payroll collecting data via planes, trains and automobiles. Apple just recently unveiled the proprietary software and still has a ways to go to catch up. The Cupertino California company released a statement regarding the Maps criticism, saying that it’s aware that Maps is a “major initiative” and that it is “just getting started with it.” Here Apple promised that the service will continue to get better over time as more effort is being put into the project.

On the other hand, Motorola has been struggling to stay relevant in the smartphone era, albeit a few standout hits such as the original Droid and the Droid RAZR Maxx which seemingly did well compared to other offerings. It’ll be interesting to see if ads such as this one help the company gain any traction although it’s hard to predict whether or not they will.

Source: Android Central

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's a little amazing that iOS6 Maps sucks so bad in Ireland, but the Standalone TomTom app is infinitely more accurate. So Apple took something that worked and broke it?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Why are they comparing standard version on i5 to the hybrid version on the Rzr? Of course they will look different. I haven't used the apple maps really hard core but here in Colorado I have found no issues. Things seem to render very fast and turn by turn seems very accurate.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Why are they comparing standard version on i5 to the hybrid version on the Rzr? Of course they will look different. I haven't used the apple maps really hard core but here in Colorado I have found no issues. Things seem to render very fast and turn by turn seems very accurate.
    They aren't saying the maps look different. If you look closely, the iPhone isn't even showing the correct search result.

Thanks

I have had no issues with apples maps or turn by turn directions . It's been accurate so far.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Great way to manipulate people into believing false information.

“315 E 15th in Manhattan?" Gives you the Manattan location.

But when you omit manhattan from the string it goes to Brooklyn because NY uses them the same streets names and numbers over and over again.

And yes Marlborough is east 15th street.

The only thing this proves is apple failed at adding the location pop up google would give you huge plus obviously for situations like this one. And secondly people should be more thorough when searching for locations.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

So far, I really hate iOS 6 on my iPod Touch 4g. The new interface for App Store and Music are nice but the App store tabs always move around and the categories tab always brings up the message cannot connect to iTunes. Also with that stock apps like App Store and Safari crash constantly and game performance is poor and many games crash since I've updated. Besides performance, Apple maps sucks and has so many missing features and is way underdeveloped. Google Maps had street view, better maps and overall, way more features. All I can say is iOS 6 is quite a terrible update then.

Thanks

I've noticed south of Boston a lot of street names being incorrect but the turn by turn is the right directions. I had one instance where it wanted me to drive south through a city to the next exit even though I was .2 away from the closest on ramp.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    So far, I really hate iOS 6 on my iPod Touch 4g. The new interface for App Store and Music are nice but the App store tabs always move around and the categories tab always brings up the message cannot connect to iTunes. Also with that stock apps like App Store and Safari crash constantly and game performance is poor and many games crash since I've updated. Besides performance, Apple maps sucks and has so many missing features and is way underdeveloped. Google Maps had street view, better maps and overall, way more features. All I can say is iOS 6 is quite a terrible update then.
    Biggest reason I'm going to hold off on an iPhone 5 is it only comes with iOS 6. I might wait til 6.1 before upgrading my 3GS, which I've now downgraded(or upgraded if you prefer) back to iOS 5

Thanks

I like how the iPhone says it is 12:07, and the Droid says it's 11:35. Hmm... Seems a little fishy to me. I input 315 E 15th St Manhattan, NY in my Apple Maps, and it looks better than the droid maps, and has more details.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    It's a little amazing that iOS6 Maps sucks so bad in Ireland, but the Standalone TomTom app is infinitely more accurate. So Apple took something that worked and broke it?
    it's not less accurate. They are just exploiting a way safari searches there. The mapping app isn't bad, it's just missing a lot of data.
    My iPhone 4 Mod Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54754025@N07/

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    They aren't saying the maps look different. If you look closely, the iPhone isn't even showing the correct search result.
    Well I can do the same thing i can find a location show it on screen and then type the new address in the search bar without hitting enter and make it appear as its not showing the correct address. They are manipulating the results. Im here in Florida and using Apple maps and are more accurate and load three times faster on the slowest 3g network of the three top vendors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atm_10142k View Post
    Well I can do the same thing i can find a location show it on screen and then type the new address in the search bar without hitting enter and make it appear as its not showing the correct address. They are manipulating the results. Im here in Florida and using Apple maps and are more accurate and load three times faster on the slowest 3g network of the three top vendors.
    Most definitely more accurate ad faster loading! Google maps wouldn't always refresh fast enough while I was driving on my AT&T 4S. And where I drive in Louisiana we have great service, as well as LTE for all the new i5 and New iPad owners. Apple maps has been really fast, and turn-by-turn is awesome! My eyes get to stay where it counts finally!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

If iOS maps is so bad then why are these companies comparing it to apple. I always found that funny.. Like if your product is the best they would be comparing it to you.. but apparently not.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Never mind that both results are actually correct for the search criteria they entered, but it's truly pathetic that they show Apple's without hybrid like they don't have it, when they have something even better with the 3D maps.

This is worse than a political ad.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I am sorry is google maps better then apple maps?? For mosts part yes. But google maps though I lived on the highways when when I got directions from current location!! So its not perfect. But if your going to try to sell me a crappy motorola over a new iphone you better have something better then maps!! Its like asking me to choose a hot chick over a ugly one cause she has a bad manicure sure you may or may not notice it but it will get fixed while ugly stays ugly!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Well that's Apple for you

Thanks
    Sucks not have 3D view on an iPod Touch 4G. But, I haven't had any problems!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,856 Times in 884 Posts

Motorola's Ad Campaign Boasts Improved Maps App-img_0004.png

i find it just fine.. As somone previous said. Be smarter and searches.. specifying manhattan did the trick.. and looks great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drizahy View Post
    Great way to manipulate people into believing false information.

“315 E 15th in Manhattan?" Gives you the Manattan location.

But when you omit manhattan from the string it goes to Brooklyn because NY uses them the same streets names and numbers over and over again.

And yes Marlborough is east 15th street.

The only thing this proves is apple failed at adding the location pop up google would give you huge plus obviously for situations like this one. And secondly people should be more thorough when searching for locations.
    yup!! i searched the same location using "manhattan" and found it just fine.. Samsung is so focused on making the iPhone look bad, they don't realize that no one care and has already purchased one.. lol
    Last edited by subywrex; 09-23-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Attachment 612815

i find it just fine.. As somone previous said. Be smarter and searches.. specifying manhattan did the trick.. and looks great!!

yup!! i searched the same location using "manhattan" and found it just fine.. Samsung is so focused on making the iPhone look bad, they don't realize that no one care and has already purchased one.. lol
    Its Motorola
    mod edit/comment removed
    Last edited by blkcadi; 09-23-2012 at 07:56 PM.