+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iPhone 5 Drop Test Proves the Device Can Take Quite the Fall

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
With the iPhone 5 finally available to the public, several companies are performing tests and benchmarks on the new device (as expected). One of the more common tests that is
    Thanks

Default The iPhone 5 Drop Test Proves the Device Can Take Quite the Fall

With the iPhone 5 finally available to the public, several companies are performing tests and benchmarks on the new device (as expected). One of the more common tests that is performed every time a new device is launched is the drop test and while many users are dying to get their hands on an iPhone 5, some people are dropping theirs to see how well it survives common falls.

The folks over at Android Authority posted a drop test comparison video between the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the iPhone 5. Out of the two popular smartphones on the market today, the results are in favor of Apple’s iPhone 5. They mentioned the following during their drop test:

Well, as much as we hate to admit it, the iPhone 5 did amazingly well in our drop test, while the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out in pretty bad shape. It’s the cold hard truth that we can’t hide and we can’t ignore.
    The hard aluminum shell of the iPhone 5 withstood the impact pretty well, and the glass protecting the display remained intact. Meanwhile, the Galaxy S3 predictably lost its back cover and suffered damage to the casing and the front glass. Sad, sad, sad.

The folks over at iFixYouri also posted a video showing their version of the drop test. Much like any other drop test, iFixYouri dropped the iPhone 5 from various heights and recorded their results. The results were a bit surprising as the iPhone 5 survived all the falls until they threw the device screen down. According to their results, the iPhone 5 is “the most durable iPhone” they’ve seen.

Looks like Apple's research and development team at least made some right decisions when it came to choosing the materials for the iPhone 5.

Source: Android Authority, iFixYouri
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 09-22-2012 at 05:22 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,056 Times in 1,696 Posts

Who comes up with this bs?

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

That's not good. Maybe you are taller than him

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dang, I hope you get that iPhone fixed or something cause that's unfortunate .

Thanks

on the first test of dropping the iphone 5 was going to have scratches because its a metal phone and glass all over...the galaxy has plastic and glass....so it wont take that much because of the plastic...this guy is a jerk and a hater for his comments lol

Thanks

Wow...the science mind in me is going absolutely crazy. This is about as unscientific as it can possibly be. When you're trying to compare two devices you have to be sure the drops are identical. They need to develop a slide or other mechanism to ensure they fall and land the exact same way. When you just toss it out of your hand they will rotate differently and land differently.

You also need to use three different phones for each model to ensure the damage from the higher drops aren't the result of furthering the damage from the lower drops.

This drop test is a huge pile of scientific crap.

I'll now put my inner nerd on the shelf and point out that I was impressed that the iPhone did quite well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    Who comes up with this bs?

Same thing in wondering. I just do the test for myself now because this site is biased. I'm skipping out on this test though. Ain't no way I'm dropping my phone purposely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Wow...the science mind in me is going absolutely crazy. This is about as unscientific as it can possibly be. When you're trying to compare two devices you have to be sure the drops are identical. They need to develop a slide or other mechanism to ensure they fall and land the exact same way. When you just toss it out of your hand they will rotate differently and land differently.

You also need to use three different phones for each model to ensure the damage from the higher drops aren't the result of furthering the damage from the lower drops.

I'll now put my inner nerd on the shelf and point out that I was impressed that the iPhone did quite well.
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw the video yesterday. The test would be irrelevant. I'm pretty sure both devices weigh differently.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

All about what angle and exact height it
    Lands. Lands on face other shud etcetc corner for corner. And I agree shud be 3 phones cuz each drop compromises the phones integrity.

Green Apple
    Thanks

half the people I know with glass screen iphones have broken them

Thanks

Saw a guy in the apple store today who just took possession of his phone and dropped it! It broke

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Banks4004 View Post
    If that's actually true and not an exaggeration, then you need to find new friends. If they're that accident prone it's only a matter of time before they accidentally kill you. I see a lot of cracked iPhone screens, but it's nowhere close to half.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    According to their results, the iPhone 5 is “the most durable iPhone” they’ve seen.
    Will still never compare to this:
    Last edited by Gamemaster77; 09-22-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Banks4004 View Post
    Can you tell me exactly which iPhone models don't have glass screens? Hahahaha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Will still never compare to this:
    Lmao

Green Apple
    Thanks

check out the real iphone 5 break video on youtube - search "iphone 5 vs hammer"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post

What a dumb thing to say. No two drops will ever...EVER, EVER....EVER be the same. I dont care what it is, an object will NEVER EVER drop the same way twice. You need a refund on your "science mind"

Thanks

Ouch! Dropping and breaking phones on purpose? That's a bit much to say the least. Besides I heard most of the phones come with scuffs already haha! All joke aside I would never in a million years drop my phone on purpose..nope not gonna do it(GWB voice

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    What a dumb thing to say. No two drops will ever...EVER, EVER....EVER be the same. I dont care what it is, an object will NEVER EVER drop the same way twice. You need a refund on your "science mind"
    Actually your the dumb one. The idea here is to test the durability of the phones. Therefor the phones are the variables not the drops... So to test their durability evenly both phones would need to be dropped the exact same way from the exact same hight so they both experience the same impact.

Think before u attempt to insult someone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iblunt420 View Post
    check out the real iphone 5 break video on youtube - search "iphone 5 vs hammer"
    The guy who made the video does not even know the difference between a socket wrench and a hammer....Lmao. SMH....