+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iPhone 5 Drop Test Proves the Device Can Take Quite the Fall

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Moreno53 What a dumb thing to say. No two drops will ever...EVER, EVER....EVER be the same. I dont care what it is, an object will NEVER EVER
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    What a dumb thing to say. No two drops will ever...EVER, EVER....EVER be the same. I dont care what it is, an object will NEVER EVER drop the same way twice. You need a refund on your "science mind"
    I think the point is that there are some extremely simple, albeit more expensive, control measures that can be taken in order to make the tests a more accurate comparison. What we saw here was a bunch of random drops. The conclusion here, that the iPhone 5 takes a beating better than does the SGSIII is, for lack of better words, not an accurate conclusion at all. Both phones got pretty banged up. The Samsung happened to have cracked glass too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    What a dumb thing to say. No two drops will ever...EVER, EVER....EVER be the same. I dont care what it is, an object will NEVER EVER drop the same way twice. You need a refund on your "science mind"
    Yeah...why don't you tell me what science background you have, because I have a degree in science. It is possible you do have a stronger background than I have, but I'm gonna go with the odds and say you don't. While I'm not a practicing scientist (I went into a math related career instead) the basics of science are pretty easy to understand. As someone else has already stated, the phones are the variable here. To accurately compare the phones you would have to approach it in two different ways:

1. Develop a machine that guarantees the phones drop in the same way so that you're comparing the phones' resistance to drops rather than comparing the different types of drops in addition to the differences in the phones. Because the test in this video was so haphazard there's no way of knowing if the iPhone sustained less damage due to its build, or due to the chance it just landed more favorably.

2. Purchase dozens if not hundreds of phones so you can help eliminate human error from the tests through sheer volume and the law of averages...and even then you'd want to try to be sure you drop the phones in similar fashions.
    Last edited by AUZambo; 09-22-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    Who comes up with this bs?

Sorry but I must say that's your fault.. People shouldn't be surprised that if glass impacts something it breaks.. Get a case or even invisi shields help make a difference as to the fact it can't get punctured and crack the glass.

Also this is a huge surprise! I'm glad the iPhone has become more durable and I'm also glad android fans didn't rig the system And started making their products of more efficient conducting systems etc. not just plastic ahha

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Banks4004 View Post
    half the people I know with glass screen iphones have broken them
    He only has 2 friends, only 1 dropped their iPhone

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

I have a 4S and are not upgrading to the 5 (yet) since in the UK it's a pointless upgrade (no 4G being the main reason) and due to my own stupidity managed to get it jammed in a car door. Only the top left of the screen cracked about 1cm long but that's it. The screen still works in the top left corner despite being cracked and I cannot be bothered to replace the screen just for a small 1cm long crack in the top left corner of the phone. The moral of the story? My 4S is quite tough without a case so why should the 5 be any different?

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12