Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Customers Finding Scuffs on Their Unpackaged iPhone 5 Units

Default Customers Finding Scuffs on Their Unpackaged iPhone 5 Units

The iPhone 5 is a hot-seller, having shattered the record for iPhone pre-order sales and also becoming sold out in many stores around the US within hours of its first day of being officially launched. For most people, the iPhone 5 was a worth-while purchase, but some are finding that there may be some issues that need to be rectified as soon as possible.

As it appears, many people are taking their iPhone 5 units out of the box to find scuff-marks in the metal of the device. Notably so, these markings are from the factory and are not a result of user error. Pictured above is a prime example, where you can clearly see the metal shine through the black coloring due to an imperfection in the coloring.

The problem is affecting both the black and white models of the iPhone 5, but due to the natural color of the metals used in the iPhone 5, the shine is noticeably easier to see on the black iPhone 5. Because of many Apple device users' meticulous attention to detail, the scuff marks are leaving buyers resentful of their purchases and they are now reluctantly dealing with a pre-damaged iPhone 5 unit.

If you’ve ordered an iPhone 5 recently, there is a chance that yours may end up in your hands with a scuff mark similar to those being reported. It might even be possible that you received yours on opening day and just haven't noticed it yet. Citing AppleInsider, it is not yet known what is causing the issue. Hopefully it will get some attention before too many more units are shipped out from the factory like this.

Has your iPhone 5 been affected?

Sources: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-22-2012 at 02:26 AM.

yup. i have that. too=(
    is it only the black iphone 5s?

what's the policy on something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
    yup. i have that. too=(
    is it only the black iphone 5s?
    Black and white are affected.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

That's unacceptable, go to your closer Apple store, they suppose to exchange it for you. I'm pretty sure that was one problem in the production line and they caught the problem late, affecting some lots. I hope mine don't come with that.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    No matter what policy is, you have 30 days to return your iPhone if it have any defect. I hope they don't fix it giving new free bumpers for everybody.
    Last edited by javiert30; 09-22-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    Theoretically, considering it's a defect in the materials as a result of imperfect manufacturing, it should be covered by Apple's limited warranty (in a perfect world).

Unfortunately, there are a couple of immediate obstacles here, beginning with Apple declaring that the warranty does not cover cosmetic defects like scratches. You'd have to also prove that Apple caused the scratch (and not you), which may very well prove a Sisyphean task.

That being said, nicks on a brand new product that were there before you purchased it, regardless of the source or item, are a huge disappointment. I have no idea how Apple could fix these, short of replacing the whole rear panel. Making things worse is the probable scarcity of replacement parts, were Apple to go the recall/swap route.

EDIT: As Javier noted, refunds are likely to be Apple's first and primary means of making amends on this issue, possibly with Apple then refurbishing the dinged-up iPhones.
    Last edited by Orby; 09-22-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    That's unacceptable, go to your closer Apple store, they suppose to exchange it for you. I'm pretty sure that was one problem in the production line and they caught the problem late, affecting some lots. I hope mine don't come with that.

No matter what policy is, you have 30 days to return your iPhone if it have any defect. I hope they don't fix it giving new free bumpers for everybody.
    hmm, if i want to exchange it. well ill go see ASAP. cause it does kinda bother me knowing it has a scuff already.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I had a mark on the back of my black 64gb, it was like a raise piece of the anodized coating. I tried rubbing it off, picking at it with a finger nail, nothing. But now a few hours later it seems to have buffed out and disappeared. Kinda like the grooves of a MFSL record

My iPhone 5 is picking up finger prints like crazy, now that's a whole nother issue. My 4/4S was never like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
    hmm, if i want to exchange it. well ill go see ASAP. cause it does kinda bother me knowing it has a scuff already.
    Hey we paid for something new, is should look new, no defects, so go there. I recomend the people take pictures or video unpacking your iPhone 5 as proof that it came with it. Anyways once they start to see that lots of people are claiming the same problem, they will admit that was them. But I don't know, Apple is Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrom92 View Post
    I had a mark on the back of my black 64gb, it was like a raise piece of the anodized coating. I tried rubbing it off, picking at it with a finger nail, nothing. But now a few hours later it seems to have buffed out and disappeared. Kinda like the grooves of a MFSL record

My iPhone 5 is picking up finger prints like crazy, now that's a whole nother issue. My 4/4S was never like this.
    I noticed that when I saw the first video for the first iPhone unpacked, it was full of fingerprints, I said, that iPhone looks like it was unpacked 10 times already.
    Last edited by javiert30; 09-22-2012 at 03:01 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

meh, they better. well its too late now to take pictures its been long since i unboxed it.
    but im not a happy camper. LTE isnt working so well even though its listed. meh and now this. they better allow me to exchange my iphone for another.

but i preordered mine. so i dont know how this will work.
    Last edited by jrhudson; 09-22-2012 at 03:04 AM.

Thanks

In the beginning I was thinking the black iPhone was coming with chrome edges and when I saw it with that black coating I thought I hope that coating don't pill by itself, we will see with the time.

Nothing to lose...

Gonna take mine to apple in the morning and see what they say

I have some small scuffs around the corner edges of the antenna band

there's 2 green dots on the band neart the silent switch, looks like someone marked it for positioning or something..

ggggrrr frustrating...

Hopefully apple can rectify the situation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

I have a very small chip at the bottom left of the band. Thought it was only me! I have the black one.

Hard to notice but now that I have it's hard not to notice.

mine came damaged as well. I swapped it out with no issue. They had a full line of "refurbs" waiting. though, I don't think they were really refurbs. Probably just manufactured for exchanges.

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    I have a very small chip at the bottom left of the band. Thought it was only me! I have the black one.

Hard to notice but now that I have it's hard not to notice.
    I 100% concur with you!

Quote Originally Posted by miztahsparklez View Post
    mine came damaged as well. I swapped it out with no issue. They had a full line of "refurbs" waiting. though, I don't think they were really refurbs. Probably just manufactured for exchanges.
    highly unlikely its refurbished, it barely came out...

this gives me hope.
    yup its so small. now everytime i use it. i can feel it just there.

One of the First thing I noticed when I opened it. It's so small I don't care it's still beautiful.

My white iPhone 5 was perfect when I unboxed it and a big upgrade from my 4. This is my first white iPhone. I thought it looked better with all the aluminum.

Besides 99.9 percent of you will have it locked up in some kind of vault like case so you will never see the scratch again.
    Last edited by Roadw3; 09-22-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Here's the scratch on mine. It's small I know but I can't help but notice. It was on the phone as soon as I took it out of the box.

Thanks

That is just unacceptable. One of the good things about most droids is that they are mostly plastic and not prone to these scratches..of course they are not as sleek and sexy but they are not all scratched up either :] Apple really needs to find a material that lasts. Not only looks good but is practical for the consumer. Scratches out of the box?? Seriously?? Although..most of us will have either a case or bumper on our phones, so its not really that big a deal or is it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast